Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Bar-bq's Final Three round NFL Mock Draft

ROUND ONE

1. Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
    When it all boils down, itís becoming clearer that Stafford will be the pick barring any further unforseen complications with his contract and salary. Heís a different Quarterback to Sanchez, who is markedly more of a swashbuckling player from a pro-style offense, but heís ideal for the type of Schemes the Lions want to run. His lower completion percentage can be assigned to the deep-pass heavy scheme that the Bulldogs run themselves and in a team with Calvin Johnson as its only impact player, youíd want to hope your QB has had some practise. In all, itís a new face for this franchise and a step in the right direction.

2. St. Louis Rams: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    Aaron Curry supporters will be disappointed, but this is the smartest pick for Saint Louis, for similar reasons to the ones mentioned above. Drafting Curry as the DBPA practically ensures that the Rams will be looking for an Offensive Tackle at pick number 33 and thereís too much standing in their way for Eben Britton or William Beatty to magically fall. A trade back up is an option, but one must ask what price a team who look to have a pick in the bottom half of the draft next season would be willing to pay. As for the player, Iím looking for Smithís charisma and upside to win him the job; though I would not be surprised nor worried if it went the other way.

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Aaron Curry, SLB, Wake Forest
    The best defensive player in the draft is headed to a team where he can be really utilised. Kansas City need help virtually everywhere on defense, so as to allow the offense to remain competitive. I considered both OT and DE here, but ultimately Curryís versatility wins out. Heíll make a fantastic pairing with Derrick Johnson.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
    Thereís a lot of buzz about Sanchez at the moment and about teams willing to trade up to get him, but I think Seattle may be a dark-horse team that likes him just enough to groom him for themselves. This is a little higher than I had Stafford projected in my last mock, but Iím willing to bet dollars to donuts that heíll go within the top ten. A trade is probably the most likely scenario; either here or a pick above, but for the moment Sanchez becomes the heir apparent to the struggling Matt Hasselbeck for a new coaching regime and for a franchise that aged very quickly. If the Seahawks are to remain in this spot, itís going to come down to Jason Smith or Sanchez and I donít think they can go wrong in either case.

5. Cleveland Browns: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    The Browns would obviously love a bail-out package here, but with no Sanchez on the board, the only team who could legitimately challenge for this pick is Buffalo, in search of Jason Smith. I think that if this top four scenario is to play out, the phones will be red hot in Cleveland. Iím not projecting trades in this mock, but Iíd like to insert a disclaimer that there may be a substantial amount of movement between picks three and five for teams coveting Sanchez or Smith. Crabtree is the choice here because like Kellen Winslow before him, Braylon Edwards appears to be on the way out. In the meantime, consider this a surety that whoever is throwing the ball in Cleveland will at least have something to aim at

6. Cincinnati Bengals: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    Iíd like to think Monroe will be selected long before this, if only so he doesnít have to go to Cincinnati or worse, Oakland, but as things stand this is an ideal situation for the Bengals. The OL has to be their primary consideration after what can only be termed a monstrous debacle there last season and Monroe may be this classí premier LT.

7. Oakland Raiders: Andre Smith, OT Alabama
    Every fibre in my being wants Maclin here just so I donít have to counter the ďAl DavisĒ argument; sheerly because there probably isnít one. For once, however, I can see the merit in Oakland doing something sensible with a first round draft pick. Not only do they give McFadden somebody to run behind, they give Russell a chance of survival. Smithís stock is in ruins, but he has a tenacity that seems to mesh with the mentality of Oakland Raiders football.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
    Maclin might well be the only receiver in this draft NOT to test positive for marijuana or be hampered by a lingering injury. Whilst thatís hyperbole, it would be a welcome change in Jacksonville, who boast a stable of former felons at WR. Maclin is small and speedy, an ideal deep threat: the virtual antithesis of Matt Jones. They could look towards an OT like Oher, who they coached in the senior bowl, but I think theyíll pass due to concerns over his consistency.

9. Green Bay Packers: Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas.
    Moving to a 3-4 requires Green Bay get a hold on an outside rush in order to make a playoff push. Aaron Kampman is more than capable on one side, but one has to query how effective he can be from a standing start and receiving the majority of attention from opposing teams. Orakpo is big, versatile and has a real ďfootballĒ motor. With proper coaching, he could become a fine sack artist on one of the leagueís newest 3-4 defenses.

10. San Francisco *****: B.J. Raji, NT, Boston College.
    This was a popular pick from a while back and Iím seeing a lot of sense in reviving it after having Raji selected as high as pick #4 in previous mocks. With a QB unavailable and with Orakpo off the board, the 9ers will turn their attention to the middle of their 3-4. Having Raji to plug the holes in the middle frees up Pat Willis to do what he does best and may even go a long way to getting some production out of former first round pick Manny Lawson. Look for Darius Heyward-Bey here as a dark-horse.

11. Buffalo Bills: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
    This is a big step back in the right direction for Buffalo, in need of a starting left tackle after the trade of Peters. With no guaranteeís Eben Britton will be available at pick 28 or that William Beatty can successfully man the left side, the Bills capitalise on their ability to select a player who, when he wants to be, is this classí best OT. Sound familiar, Buffalo fans? The Bills would be foolish not to consider trading up for Monroe with the first round leverage they now possess.

12. Denver Broncos: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
    The Broncos need so much help on defense that Iíve decided to dip into that pool time and time again throughout this mock. First cab off the rank is Jackson, who looks primed to be an ideal 3-4 Defensive End. His successes at LSU are well noted and I think Coach McDaniels will be happy to have him continue them in Denver.

13. Washington Redskins: Aaron Maybin, DE Penn St.
    Word is that the Redskins want Mark Sanchez, but they may have to trade as high up as number two overall (Donít hold your breath, Steve Spagnuolo) to ensure that they get him. With no OTís on the board worth having this high, the Skinsí look to capitalise on the signing of Albert Haynesworth by adding a true edge threat in Maybin to replace Jason Taylor.

14. New Orleans Saints: Malcolm Jenkins, CB/S, Ohio. St.
    Of all the luck. Jenkins slips to the team with arguably the greatest need for playmakers in the secondary. Despite his forty time, thatís exactly what heíll be. New Orleans needs a defense that can at least keep time with their prolific offense and Jenkins will be a significant step in allowing the Saints Dí to reach a level of adequacy never-before-seen. Jenkins is a player who I think teams could target in the 8-13 range, with Washington as a potential suitor if Stafford, Oher and Orakpo are all gone. Teams will likely find about equal value in Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin and Robert Ayers, who all could be had between 13 and 25.

15. Houston Texans: Brian Cushing, LB, USC
    At his best last season, Brian Cushingwas probably the Trjojanís best defensive athlete. Houston is really an up-and-coming team, and with no heavy-hitting, player-specific needs, they are in a position to sit back and take probably the best defensive player available.

16. San Diego Chargers: Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
    This has been a staple pick of my mock drafts and Iím sure of many others. Thereís not all that much thatís happened recently to change my mind. Maualuga can be a run-stopping mauler in the middle of Defensive Co-ordinator Ron Riveraís 3-4. If Tyson Jackson were to fall this far heíd definitely garner some consideration and I wouldnít put it past the Bolts to pursue him higher, but for now Iím staying consistent.

17. New York Jets: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas St.
    Yeah, yeah. We know. Booooooo. Though Jets fans will hate it, this is the smartest path to travel. Unless youíre cool with the Kellen Clemens experiment haemorrhaging all over the 2010 season. Freeman has all the physical tools in the world and it appears solid intangibles to boot, though he is awfully raw. Darius Heyward-Bey received strong consideration, but with an already established OL, the Jets wonít pass on a Joe Flacco doppelganger.

18. Denver Broncos (f/CHI): Everette Brown, OLB, Florida State
    I like Brown and Robert Ayers a little higher than this, but I donít have room for both at pick eighteen. I have this sinking feeling that thatís against the rules. Brown reminds me a little of Kamerion Wimbley from a few seasons back in that physically heís everything you look for. The Broncos could justify a selection anywhere on Defense and I was tempted by Clay Matthews, but I donít think theyíre in any position to pass up a pass rusher as good as Brown purports to be.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Perja Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
    With Freeman gone, the Bucs turn their attention to another pressing need. Jerry, a prototype NFL Under Tackle, will be an instant starter on a Buccaneers defense that is becoming collectively long in the tooth. Iíd like to think that this addition will keep them youthful enough as a starting unit to allow the team to stay in games, even without a starting QB.

20. Detroit Lions (f/DAL): Eben Britton, OT, Arizona
    The Lions reap the benefits of selecting Stafford at number one overall with this pick. Britton is the consensus #5 Tackle in this draft and has the potential to become entrenched as the starter at either left or right tackle by the beginning of the season. Had the Lions selected Smith or Monroe with the first pick, there would no longer be a Quarterback on the board for them to even consider.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma St
    Itís still possible, here, that Philadelphia could continue the run on Offensive Tackles, likely concluding it with six taken in the draftís first 21 picks. Pettigrew is the draftís unquestioned best Tight End and should excel in a West Coast system that purports to utilise his skills in the blocking game as well as adding a soft pair of hands for Donavon McNabb in the short passing game.

22. Minnesota Vikings: Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
    If the Vikingsí pursuit of T.J. Houshmanzadeh this offseason says anything, itís that theyíre not entirely sold on breakaway Bernard Berrian as their number one target in the passing game. Heyward-Bey is simply too good value wise to pass up here, and has the height, speed and hands to make him a perfect compliment to Berrian givingÖ whoever the Quarterback isÖ somebody else to go to if Berrian is negated. Freeman would have been considered here, as was Alphonso Smith, but DHB wins out as value best fits need.

23. New England Patroits: Clay Matthews, OLB, USC
    Itís no secret that the Patriots would like to add a Linebacker this offseason. Mayo was a fantastic choice last season, and USCís Clay Matthews offers them even greater versatility on defense while Teddy Bruschi is enjoying the Twilight of his career. Matthews probably could bathe in his football pedigree and will play both inside and out depending on circumstance in 2010 before taking over inside.

24. Atlanta Falcons: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
    As Jamaal Anderson has done little more than bolster his retirement fund since being drafted two years ago, it may be time for the Falcons to look in a different direction. Ayers has the generic size and speed to play DE in a 4-3, OLB in a 3-4 and dabble at Under Tackle in the proís and looks like a good fit for an Atlanta team who may look solely at their defense in the draftís first three rounds.

25. Miami Dolphins: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
    The Dolphins have precious little in the way of Cornerbacks heading into the 2009 season and I donít think it would come as much of a shock to anyone to see them use the pick on a player like Illinoisí Vontae Davis. Despite marijuana rumours, Davis possesses good size and speed for an NFL Corner and could start from the get-go. Bottom line: keep away from Ricky Williams.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
    Baltimore needs a corner and Smith needs a uniform. At 6 feet tall, he has decent height and deceptive speed to boot. Unlike Illinoisí Vontae Davis, selected one pick higher, Smith has a squeaky-clean record and NFL intangibles.

27. Indianapolis Colts: Evander Hood, DT, Missouri
    The Colts need DTís and Hood is the next best available. I also considered Ron Brace and I donít think they could go wrong with either pick. Simply, itís their greatest area of concern and they wonít get a better opportunity to address it than with Hood, who has great NFL intangibles.

28. Buffalo Bills: Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois
    The trade for Peters nets Buffalo both Oher at pick eleven and Larry English here at 28, which is not a bad haul, considering some obvious deficiencies at DE which really limited the Billsí successes last season. English is certainly a physical specimen and I have him graded almost in the same tier as Brown, Ayers and Maybin, all of whom were selected higher.

29. New York Giants: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
    Plaxico Burress has been released and may be heading to prison. Those in New York will be more than willing to move him on over for Rutgers Kenny Britt, who has similar hands, size and speedÖ without the NFL experience and off-field issues. Itís one of those ideal situations where need matches value. Britt will be warmly welcomed by the G-Men.

30. Tennessee Titans: D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
    Nick Harper is 34 and Tennessee basically will require a new starting corner by the end of the season, able to match up with division rivals Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne. Again, Mooreís stock is rising despite his size deficiency and his outstanding speed should allow him to recover when beaten in his initial seasons.

31. Arizona Cardinals: Chris Wells, RB, Ohio St.
    Edgerrin James was resurgent in the playoffs, but I donít think that anybody in their right minds in the Cardinals organisation would pass on arguably the draftís best runner at pick 31. Wells can honestly do it all, though his stock has taken a slide with an average performance at the combine. He looks to be an ideal addition to an offense that was pass-heavy last season, but wonít be when Matt Leinart takes the helm.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers: Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut
    The last pick in the first round took quite a bit of time to make. Iíve had Max Unger here for a long while, because he just looks like a typical Steelerís O-Lineman. Big and versatile with an obvious mean streak. Iíve also considered a Defensive End, but without Ayers or English available here, I think the Steelers will pass. Pitt lost McFadden in the offseason and the physically similar Butler will step in as his replacement.

ROUND TWO

33. Detroit Lions: Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia.
    Ideal situation for Detroit as they find a defensive leader at the top of Round 2. Legitimately, the Lions and Rams could be targeting the same three players in Lauriniatis, Sintim, Barwin and Brace.

34. New England Patriots (f/KC): Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan
    The Patriots need to find a replacement for Rodney Harrison.

35. St. Louis Rams: James Lauriniatis, ILB, Ohio St.
    The former Butkus award winner finds a new home in the middle in Missouri. The Rams could have alternatively had Curry/Beatty here.

36. Cleveland Browns: Conor Barwin, DE/OLB, Cincinnati
    The Browns could have seriously considered Orakpo at #5 overall, Barwin is great value here.

37. Seattle Seahawks: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
    Who is Seattleís starting running back? Moreno will look to improve this teamís ground game.

38. Cincinnati Bengals: Alex Mack, C, California
    Center is the Bengalsí greatest need and Mack is this draftís best Center. Doesnít get much better for Benglas fans right now.

39. Jacksonville Jaguars: William Beatty, OT, Connecticut
    The Jaguars coached Oher in the senior bowl and are in need of an LT. Beatty rounds out the bottom of the first tier.

40. Oakland Raiders: Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
    Nicks slips into the waiting hands of Al Davis and the Oakland faithful.

41. Green Bay Packers: Sean Smith, CB/S, Utah
    The packers need help at Corner and Safety, Smith could start at either spot eventually.

42. Buffalo Bills: Shawn Nelson, TE, Southern Miss.
    The best available Tight End, and one whoíll actually put in an effort when blocking. Itís shaping up to be a successful draft in Buffalo.

43. San Francisco *****: Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
    Finally, an OT to start opposite Staley.

44. Miami Dolphins (f/WAS): Ron Brace, NT, Boston College
    The Dolphins find Brace at 44: They could well have looked his way at 25. Brace will start at Nose Tackle in that 3-4. I can see Carolina trading up for him.

45. New York Giants (f/NO): Max Unger, OL, Oregon
    Versatile depth for the interior line.

46. Houston Texans: William Moore, S, Missouri
    Nobody questionís Mooreís talent and Houston need a Safety in the worst way.

47. New England Patriots (f/SD): LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
    Luxury selection; a nice compliment to Maroney.

48. Denver Broncos: Jarius Byrd, CB, Oregon
    A youth infusion for an ageing seconday.

49. Chicago Bears: Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia
    After addressing their OL in Free Agency, the Bears will look to bolster their DL with their first selection in the 2009 draft.

50. Cleveland Browns (f/TB): Patrick Chung, S, Oregon
    Jones left in Free Agency, Chung will more than adequately fill the void.

51. Dallas Cowboys: Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose St.
    The Boysí found themselves in need of a DE after Free Agency, Gilbert is physically ideal.

52. New York Jets: Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio St.
    The WR they didnít select in round one has arrived. Robiskieís stock is soaring.

53. Philadelphia Eagles: Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut
    Another weapon for McNabb, replaces Buckhalter as the number two back.

54. Minnesota Vikings: Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina
    A Right Tackle for a team in need.

55. Atlanta Falcons: Darry Beckwith, LB, LSU
    The Falcons need a linebacker, the talented Beckwith is the best available.

56. Miami Dolphins: Lawrence Sidbury Jr, DE/OLB, Richmond
    Miami addresses a third area of concern in the first two rounds with the selection of Sidbury, who, despite being raw, is an outside Ďbacker in the Parcells mould.

57. Baltimore Ravens: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
    Despite marijuana concerns, somebody is going to gamble on the versatile Harvin and the Ravens are a team in need.

58. New England Patriots: Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma
    New England bolster their interior line with a player who falls, if only slightly.

59. Carolina Panthers: Fili Moala, DT, USC
    Moala is not exactly a prototypical Nose Tackle, but heís a heck of a lot closer than anybody else worth taking this high.

60. New York Giants: Jared Cook, TE, South Carolina
    A soft pair of hands for Manning in the passing game.

61. Indianapolis Colts:Louis Murphy, WR, Florida
    THIS IS THE PARAGRAPH THAT WAS CAUSING THE ERROR.

62. Tennessee Titans: Paul Kruger, DE, Utah
    The Titanís DE is getting on in years. Kruger is solid value this late in round two.

63. Arizona Cardinals: Eric Wood, C, Louisville
    They passed on Mack in round one, Wood is the next best thing. His stock is on the rise and it wouldnít surprise me to see Arizona trade up to secure him.

64. Pittsburgh Steelers: Herman Johnson, OG, Louisiana St
    They passed on Unger in round one, Johnson is good value here.

ROUND THREE

65. Detroit Lions: SeníDerrick Marks, DT, Auburn

66. St. Louis Rams: Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly

67. Kansas City Chiefs: Derrick Williams, WR, Penn St.

68. Seattle Seahawks: Tony Kropog, OT, Tulane

69. Dallas Cowboys (f/CLE): Rashad Johnson, S, Alabama

70. Cincinnati Bengals: Chip Vaughan, S, Wake Forest

71. Oakland Raiders: Sherrod Martin, CB, Troy

72. Jacksonville Jaguars: Alex Magee, DT, Purdue

73. Green Bay Packers: Andy Levitre, OL, Oregon State

74. San Francisco *****: Marcus Freeman, OLB, Ohio St.

75. Buffalo Bills: Juaquin Iglasis, WR, Oklahoma

76. New York Jets: Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa

77. Houston Texans: Andre Brown, RB, N.C. State

78. San Diego Chargers: Kraig Urbik, OG, Wisconsin

79. Denver Broncos: Michael Hamlin, S, Clemson

80. Washington Redskins: Cody Brown, DE, Connecticut

81. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Gerald Cadogan, OT, Penn St

82. Detroit Lions (f/DAL): Cornelius Ingram, TE, Florida

83. Green Bay Packers (f/NYJ): Jason Watkins, OT, Florida

84. Denver Broncos (f/CHI): Chris Baker, NT, Hampton

85. Philadelphia Eagles: Tyrone McKenzie, OLB, South Fla.

86. Minnesota Vikings: Macho Harris, CB, Virginia Tech.

87. Miami Dolphins: Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama

88. Baltimore Ravens: Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina

89. New England Patriots: Brandon Gibson, WR, Washington St.

90. Atlanta Falcons: Gerald McRath, OLB, Southern Miss.

91. New York Giants: Terrence Knighton, DT, Temple.

92. Indianapolis Colts: Dorell Scott, NT, Clemson

93. Carolina Panthers: Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinnati

94. Tennessee Titans: Sammie Lee Hill, DT, Stillman

95. Arizona Cardinals: Victor Harris, CB/S, Virginia Tech.

96. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kevin Barnes, CB, Maryland

97. New England Patriots: Feniki Tupou, OT, Oregon

98. Cincinnati Bengals: James Casey, H-Back, Rice

99. Chicago Bears: Demitrius Byrd, WR, LSU

100. New York Giants: Derek Pegues, S, Mississippi State.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -04-25-2009 at 06:05 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bar-bq's Final Three round NFL Mock Draft

My experience: there's something in your text - a specific wording or paragraph - that causes that. Your best bet is to try and post it a little at a time, preview it, and see if it loads. If it does, add another section. Once you get the error message, try to narrow down the problem text from there. Delete it, retype it with different wording.

schut39 is offline Registered User

I got this message also before. Wierd.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Alright, after some serious technical errors (kudos to the combination of Indianapolis and Louis Murphy) it's fixed. Thanks for your help, Nick.

See what you think, Clan!