Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chase the Eagles Fan is offline Registered User

Re: Bar-bq's Post-Superbowl Two Round Mock Draft!

Everyone in the draft has holes in their game...that's why you have coaches.

You think Crabtree is perfect? OK, he's close to it but still...

And your right they all do have holes in their game...

*Jason Smith is a project..inexperienced, needs to get stronger to be more effective in the run game...could use a season to get stronger and be coached on technique...

*Michael Oher is believed to be a little inconsistent. He's been regarded as a Top NFL tackle prospect for 3 years now..I would say that's pretty consistent. Under a magnifying glass he sometimes breaks technique...what rookie won't in the NFL? If you get an offensive line coach to draw a left tackle....he'll draw Michael Oher. Oher alledgedly has some intelligence issues.

* Eugene Monroe...I don't really know the hole in his game? Didn't start at left tackle when D'Brickashaw was there and might be a little inexperienced but other than that I dunno...that's why in my mock that's who I have you picking...has played right tackle and guard in college a well. Might have some durability issues...doesn't play very mean.

* Andre Smith...they say he struggles with speed...that's what they said about Jake Long. But the guy plays at 340 so that's expected...he's probably trying to drop weight as we speak to look more athletic at the combine...he plays at 320 he could be a monster. He's already ridiculously athletic for a guy at 340 as it is...you know what, as I type this I'm starting to like him even more...reminds me of Shawn Andrews alot.

I mean you have a bigger need on the offensive line than you do at reciever or linebacker for you to draft Crabtree or Curry IMO...if the Rams don't wanna select a tackle here they might look to trade out of the pick..but I doubt they'll be able to get rid of it and get their value's worth for it...unless Oakland think Seattle wants Crabtree and tries to jump ahead of them.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chase the Eagles Fan View Post
    Everyone in the draft has holes in their game...that's why you have coaches.

You think Crabtree is perfect? OK, he's close to it but still...

*Jason Smith is a project..inexperienced, needs to get stronger to be more effective in the run game...could use a season to get stronger and be coached on technique...

*Michael Oher is believed to be a little inconsistent. He's been regarded as a Top NFL tackle prospect for 3 years now..I would say that's pretty consistent. Under a magnifying glass he sometimes breaks technique...what rookie won't in the NFL? If you get an offensive line coach to draw a left tackle....he'll draw Michael Oher. Oher alledgedly has some intelligence issues.

* Eugene Monroe...I don't really know the hole in his game? Didn't start at left tackle when D'Brickashaw was there and might be a little inexperienced but other than that I dunno...that's why in my mock that's who I have you picking...has played right tackle and guard in college a well. Might have some durability issues...doesn't play very mean.

* Andre Smith...they say he struggles with speed...that's what they said about Jake Long. But the guy plays at 340 so that's expected...he's probably trying to drop weight as we speak to look more athletic at the combine...he plays at 320 he could be a monster. He's already ridiculously athletic for a guy at 340 as it is...you know what, as I type this I'm starting to like him even more...reminds me of Shawn Andrews alot.

I mean you have a bigger need on the offensive line than you do at reciever or linebacker for you to draft Crabtree or Curry IMO...if the Rams don't wanna select a tackle here they might look to trade out of the pick..but I doubt they'll be able to get rid of it and get their value's worth for it...unless Oakland think Seattle wants Crabtree and tries to jump ahead of them.
    The best option if the Rams select a Tackle is to trade down. The only problem is you have to find someone willing to trade up???? We do need a MLB very bad. A dominate big time player like Curry would fit the bill.

Go Rams

I'll have to agree to disagree...It's your team...Curry would be a good pick but to select a MIKE that high who has never actually played MIKE before is, in your words, rolling the dice.

But he's not the kind of MIKE that Spags worked with in his defenses in the past like jeremiah trotter and antonio pierce...it would be different...we'll see I guess.

I'll have to agree to disagree...It's your team...Curry would be a good pick but to select a MIKE that high who has never actually played MIKE before is, in your words, rolling the dice.

But he's not the kind of MIKE that Spags worked with in his defenses in the past like jeremiah trotter and antonio pierce...it would be different...we'll see I guess.
    So what was the outcome when the Bears rolled the dice on a safety from the University of New Mexico? I'm pretty sure they did not crap out with Urlacher.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Props for doing a two-rounder. I know how much work goes into that, so once I'm able to give you some +rep again, it'll be coming your way. One of the easiest ways to get me behind the Curry pick is for the Rams to turn around and grab the best OT on the board in the second round. Beatty is that guy. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    So what was the outcome when the Bears rolled the dice on a safety from the University of New Mexico? I'm pretty sure they did not crap out with Urlacher.

No they didn't. it was about what 8 years ago but if I remember correctly I don't think anybody had him playing safety in the NFL...he was like 6'4" 245 lbs. coming out...and technically he didn't play safety. He played what they call a "Lobo-Back" in New Mexico. The defensive system that then head coach Rocky Long ran was a 3-3-5...it was in this system that Urlacher became a first round prospect...having the size and power to crash the line of scrimmage the speed and athleticsm to drop back in coverage...he had excellent ball skills...returned kicks and got reps at wide reiceiver...

Normally when players play a position that doesn't really exsist in the pros in a system that isn't used alot in the pros their size and speed normally determine where they play in the NFL....Urlacher was wasn't quick and fast enough to play safety in the NFL and his ball skills and athleticism made him perfect for the Tampa 2 defense that Lovie Smith runs...kinda like Jermaine Gresham will be a tight end int he pros even though he's from a spread offense that doesn't use a covential "tight end" that's how projects the pros...since the spread offense is 100 times more common the than the Long's 3-3-5 it's not as much of a story when the big slot receiver in the spread becomes a tight end in the pros...the fact that Urlacher played "safety" is a good story and everything but not really all that accurate.

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Really,

Urlacher played safety in college and he was drafted high (I know not number 2) but fairly high and his position was changed to MLB. As far as I am concern this blows your theory out of the water. I believe most teams who are considering Curry are looking at moving him to the middle...

Stil i dont think we will go defense with the 2nd pick. Lately new defensive head coaches take Offenive playmaker!!!!!!

Tony Dungy: Peyton Manning
    Marvin Lewis: Carson Palmer
    Mike Nolan: Alex Smith (as a Ram fan this was a great pick)
    Tom Coughlin: Philip Rivers (traded for Eli)
    Last edited by Nick; -02-05-2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: no links

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Great Mock Ba-bq! Well Done. If Curry shines in workouts and the combine, perhaps run's a high 40 time, it will solidify Curry as a Pro Bowl prospect. As much I'd love to get the top OT in the draft, I believe Curry could give this defense an identity. Beatty played well at the Senior Bowl so he looks like a solid pick in the 2nd round.

djdeeznutz Guest

You think Crabtree is perfect? OK, he's close to it but still....
    The guy is not a burner he is a possetion reciver and with Avery as the speedy burner type they make a great duo is about 2-3 years.

*Jason Smith is a project..inexperienced, needs to get stronger to be more effective in the run game...could use a season to get stronger and be coached on technique....
    The type of Tackle the Rams need is one that is great at run blocking and solid at pass blocking. And if we are taking Jason Smith #2 we need to be sure he can get strong and be an elite Tackle

If this guy impresses in the Combine i say take him over Crabtree but the combine is still months away. ONLY IF HE IMPRESSES!

*Michael Oher is believed to be a little inconsistent. He's been regarded as a Top NFL tackle prospect for 3 years now..I would say that's pretty consistent. Under a magnifying glass he sometimes breaks technique...what rookie won't in the NFL? If you get an offensive line coach to draw a left tackle....he'll draw Michael Oher. Oher alledgedly has some intelligence issues..
    I see plenty of scouts and Ram fans comparing him to Barron so this guy is a definate NO!. Honestly i dont like him cuz he wont block on every play he will be very in consistant. NOT WORTHY OF TOP 3.

The knock on him is that he does not finish our blocks. And he does not have that fire.I dont know how to explain the "fire" part of it. It just means that edge or a hyped reaction when he does a great job.

This guy im labeling under the same as Jason Smith. IF he has a great combine and comes in healthy then put him over J. Smith and Crabtree.

This guy i say NO! about too. cuz lets say he does not drop the wieght and comes to the Rams and speed rushers get by him and to Bulger fast that would be worse than Barron.

Lets say your right and he does drop the wieght than i will question if he can still be that dominant in the run game. THis guy will be the biggest or the biggest reward.

Since we have the #2 pick we cannot go for the risk.

Yea we have a bigger need at OL but this draft is so deep that we can wait till the second round to get a good Tackle.

William Beatty will most likely be there if he is not Phil Loadholt is definatly going to be there.

Who knows maybe be god will give the Rams a gift and Ebon Britton will be there for the Rams to take.

I think trading out will be extremly hard cuz not only does a team have to give up so much to get to #2 they also have pay the kid so much.

No they didn't. it was about what 8 years ago but if I remember correctly I don't think anybody had him playing safety in the NFL...he was like 6'4" 245 lbs. coming out...and technically he didn't play safety. He played what they call a "Lobo-Back" in New Mexico. The defensive system that then head coach Rocky Long ran was a 3-3-5...it was in this system that Urlacher became a first round prospect...having the size and power to crash the line of scrimmage the speed and athleticsm to drop back in coverage...he had excellent ball skills...returned kicks and got reps at wide reiceiver...

Normally when players play a position that doesn't really exsist in the pros in a system that isn't used alot in the pros their size and speed normally determine where they play in the NFL....Urlacher was wasn't quick and fast enough to play safety in the NFL and his ball skills and athleticism made him perfect for the Tampa 2 defense that Lovie Smith runs...kinda like Jermaine Gresham will be a tight end int he pros even though he's from a spread offense that doesn't use a covential "tight end" that's how projects the pros...since the spread offense is 100 times more common the than the Long's 3-3-5 it's not as much of a story when the big slot receiver in the spread becomes a tight end in the pros...the fact that Urlacher played "safety" is a good story and everything but not really all that accurate.
    Consider me impressed that you knew all that. I grew up in a town about an hour an a half from where Urlacher was born and raised. It is extremely rare to see any kind of talent come out of New Mexico.

Well done but safety or not the fact that he played MLB in the NFL supports my case that teams will take players and move them in another position if they think the player has the talent. Urlacher is one example and Adam Carriker is another.

I believe any team that selects Curry in the top ten will be looking at him as a MLB....

Could be, I'm no GM or anything...just my opinion from watching him play and hearing what people are saying about him...

Don't be so hard on New Mexico...Nick Cole went to school there and Hank Baskett went to NM State...

hmmmm...maybe it was the other way around...I dunno, I don't remember.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Props for doing a two-rounder. I know how much work goes into that, so once I'm able to give you some +rep again, it'll be coming your way. One of the easiest ways to get me behind the Curry pick is for the Rams to turn around and grab the best OT on the board in the second round. Beatty is that guy. Well done.
    Much appreciated, amigo.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    The guy is not a burner he is a possetion reciver and with Avery as the speedy burner type they make a great duo is about 2-3 years.
    A lot of the support for Crabtree has been because of his ability to provide an immediate impact. Now we're waiting two to three seasons for him to bear fruit? He's good, but I think we'd be better off looking in other directions. It's highly unlikely, but I could get behind Darius Heyward-Bey in the second if he slips due to injury and other concerns. I seriously doubt that's going to happen, but just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeez
    William Beatty will most likely be there if he is not Phil Loadholt is definatly going to be there.

Who knows maybe be god will give the Rams a gift and Ebon Britton will be there for the Rams to take.
    The run on tackles last year was over by pick 26 and we didn't see another one for 70 selections. I don't think it's a given that we can get a good OT in the second. I wouldn't want Loadholt there, that's for sure. I made a real mistake with my second Philadelphia pick and I can see merit in an OT at 28. With no others left on the board, it will come down to Beatty and Unger. I see Beatty going higher because he is a pure OT and not a swingman like Unger. Unger is the type of player I'd jump all over if I was in charge. He just screams Pittsburgh Steeler to me, and I'm convinced that unless he has a horrible combine, Unger will be their first rounder unless he's taken sooner.

As things stand, the Rams still have Pace and Barron under contract for '09. If he has an out-of-this-world combine, and the Rams feel they have time for a bit of a project, I wouldn't be surprised if he leapfrogs everyone and becomes the #2 overall selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase
    He was good enough to push Brandon Albert inside, and Albert was a heck of a college lineman. He's the most solid OT at this point and he's ahead of everyone else in terms of 'preferred selections' for me, despite the Curry pick at the top of this mock.

Could be, I'm no GM or anything...just my opinion from watching him play and hearing what people are saying about him...

Don't be so hard on New Mexico...Nick Cole went to school there and Hank Baskett went to NM State...

hmmmm...maybe it was the other way around...I dunno, I don't remember.
    Do not forget the Seahawks pro bowl linebacker Fred Young who attended NMSU. I'm a NMSU alum....

I did not know about Baskett?

I hear that some believe the QB from NMSU in this years draft has a big frame and a big arm?? Some say he could be the next K. Warner?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Great mock draft.

Love the Curry - Beatty pick. I think Hamlin is a nice pick, but Caldwell or Luigs would be more beneficial in my opinion.

If Crabtree doesn't run below a 4.5 in the combine, you might as well say, Jeremy Maclin, welcome to the Raiders.

I think the Bengals could grab Beanie Wells, but it wouldn't be a smart decision in my opinion.

Vikings pick was good. They need Davis.

I think the Ravens may either get Harvin, or reach a bit and grab Kenny Britt. They need some size and a big target for Flacco.

Bar-bq

A lot of the support for Crabtree has been because of his ability to provide an immediate impact. Now we're waiting two to three seasons for him to bear fruit? He's good, but I think we'd be better off looking in other directions. It's highly unlikely, but I could get behind Darius Heyward-Bey in the second if he slips due to injury and other concerns. I seriously doubt that's going to happen, but just my $0.02.

Did Jerry Rice make an immediate impact his rookie year. Is it not worth waiting a few years to watch and see talent develop into the best in the league. I would say where do I sign up.

Cause honestly, watching the Rams the last couple of years has been dreadfull. The only positive is watching Jackson when healthy and watching the new WR develop.... other than that... I would rather watch paint dry.

Go Rams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12