Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Bar-bq's Revised Three Round NFL Mock Draft!

This is the third time I've updated my 2011 mock this offseason, and I've added an extra round for this edition. I'm expecting to churn out at least one more before draft day, but hopefully I'll get another revision in before final submissions are due.

As always, have a look, see how you feel, let me know. There are plenty of changed picks from last time.

ROUND ONE

1. Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    Adam Schefter beat everybody to the punch on Sam Bradford last year, and Newton to the Panthers makes a lot of sense. He guarantees bums on seats in Carolina, and he has the skillset to develop into a special player.

2. Denver Broncos: Marcell Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama
    This pick is all but locked up. One of the most versatile linemen to come along in some time who addresses a major need on the Denver defense.

3. Buffalo Bills: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
    Miller will provide the pass rush the Bills’ organization has sorely been lacking. Gabbert is a possibility, but if the Bills aren’t sold, Ryan Fitzpatrick still has some mileage in him.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
    I switch back and forth between Gabbert and AJ Green on a daily basis. Today, it’s Gabbert. He’s a sensible pick if Palmer is serious about retiring.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    I wouldn’t mind betting the Cardinals are going to do everything they can to get their hands on either the top QBs or on Von Miller. As it stands Patrick Peterson will be a nice addition to a secondary that now has to deal with young gun Sam Bradford twice every year.

6. Cleveland Browns: AJ Green, WR, Georgia
    The browns could look in a couple of directions here. It would make sense to see them address almost any position on the defense, but Green is the best value and will be a dominant target for Colt McCoy.

7. San Francisco *****: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, UNC
    The choice comes to Amukamara and Quinn, and I think that Quinn’s stock is a little bit higher at the moment. This could go either way. Both would be good fits in Frisco.

8. Tennessee Titans: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    Reports are that the Titans have guaranteed Bowers that he’ll be selected if he falls to pick #8. He has fallen.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    Reportedly, this pick has come to an OT or a 3-4 DE, but I don’t buy that the Cowboys can afford to ignore their holes in the secondary. They’ll be willing to trade down with a team looking at Julio Jones.

10. Washington Redskins: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    Jones is the popular pick at #10, and I think he’s the obvious one unless one of the top quarterbacks were to miraculously fall. As a Rams fan, I hope to god that one of them does, because I’d love to have a weapon like Jones on my team.

11. Houston Texans: Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri
    Smith purports to be a dominant pass rusher from a standing position, and the Texans need to put some pressure on the passer. Need and value meet at pick 11.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Anthony Castanzo, OT, Boston College
    This is an unideal scenario for the Vikings. With the top four defensive ends off of the board, the choice comes to Jake Locker or one of the OTs. Castanzo can be a ten year starter in Minnesota.

13. Detroit Lions: Tyron Smith, OT, USC
    He’s less NFL ready than Castanzo, but Smith could become the best OT in this draft in a year or two. He’s a perfect fit for a Detroit team who need to protect their key investment: Matt Stafford.

14. St. Louis Rams:
    Corey Luiget, DL, Illinois
    The Rams will probably look to explore a trade down if their primary targets, Julio Jones and A.J. Green, are unavailable. The problem is that they really can’t afford to trade down too far, or they run the risk of missing out on any of the draft’s premier D-Linemen. Luiget represents the best value at DT, where the Rams have an opening opposite Fred Robbins.

15. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Mallet, QB, Arkansas
    I’m not all that comfortable with a QB here, but I think that the Dolphins will pull the trigger. It’s a toss up between Mallet and Locker – at the end of the day, Mallet’s prototype size and strength wins out.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars:
    Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
    The Jaguars are looking for some defensive end help, and Kerrigan has an outstanding motor. It’s a classic case of need meeting value at pick 16.

17. New England Patriots: Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal
    The Patriots might actually use both of their first round draft picks this year: Jordan would be an outstanding compliment to Ty Warren at the 5 Technique position.

18. San Diego Chargers: JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
    Watt falls conveniently into the hands of a team who really could use the help at 3-4 DE. I expect somebody to trade up for Watt if he falls this far – look for Detroit and St. Louis to be viable trading partners.

19. New York Giants: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    Fairley’s fall ends in New York. If Barry Cofield doesn’t return, then DT becomes a bigger need for the Giants than it is already.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
    Clayborn has been slipping a little, but I think he’d be a nice fit as a part of the re-tooled Bucs D-Line. Clayborn and the Bucs’ premier rookies will give the NFC South some trouble in 2011.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
    Nose Tackle is arguably the Chiefs’ primary need this offseason, and even though the value is a little high for Taylor here, he’s the best Nose Tackle in the draft. The Chiefs could probably move down a little bit and still target Taylor in five or six pick’s time.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
    The Colts could desperately use some help along both of their lines. Pouncey has the versatility to play anywhere along the interior OL, and he’d be a welcomed addition by Peyton Manning.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Gabe Carimi, OL, Wisconsin
    Protecting Mike Vick has to be the first priority for the Eagles this season. Carimi will slide on in to the right side of the OL and compete for Winston Justice’s job.

24. New Orleans Saints: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St.
    Reports out of New Orleans are that the LOVE Cameron Heyward, and I do too. He’s got great size and speed, and would probably be selected a lot higher in any other draft.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
    Matt Hasselbeck’s days are numbered in Seattle, and it’s definitely time that the franchise began to groom his heir. Locker hurt his stock by returning to school, but he’ll be happy to be staying close to home. The Hawks were rumoured to have liked him enough to select him in the top ten last offseason.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
    The Ravens’ secondary wasn’t exactly a strong suit last year. Journeymen stand aside: the Brandon Harris era begins now.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    The Falcons found Sam Baker to pair with Matt Ryan in ’08, but to date he’s been inconsistent. Solder will compete right away and should find a home at guard if he can’t beat out Baker to begin the season.

28. New England Patriots: Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA
    The Patriots continue to retool their front seven. Ayers has strong potential as a pass rusher, and is a good value fit in the 20’s.

29. Chicago Bears: Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple
    I wouldn’t be completely stunned to see Indianapolis pull the trigger on Wilkerson at #22. His stock has been skyrocketing recently, and he has emerged as a legitimate first round possibility. The Bears are looking for a replacement for fallen star Tommie Harris, and Wilkerson fits the bill as a talented under tackle.

30. New York Jets: Justin Houston, OLB/DE, Georgia
    Vernon Gholston was a colossal bust, and it’s time for Rex Ryan to bring in another stud pass rusher.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
    The Steelers could look for a corner to fill the void opposite Ike Taylor in this draft. Smith is a good fit late in round one.

32. Green Bay Packers: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi St.
    Chad Clifton has been the LT in Green Bay for as long as I can remember. It’s time for the Pack to start planning for the future – Sherrod is great value and the next in line.

ROUND TWO

33. New England Patriots: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    Purely a value pick. Ingram has had Emmitt Smith comparisons, and the Patroits have reportedly been looking for a compliment to Benjarvus Green Ellis.

34. Buffalo Bills: Marcus Canon, OT/OG, TCU
    The Bills have struggled to find a LT for years. Struggle no more!

35. Cincinnati Bengals: Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor
    The Bengals interior OL is an issue and, outside of Pat Peterson, Watkins is the safest prospect in the draft.

36. Denver Broncos: Christian Ballard, DT, Iowa
    The Broncos have begun to revamp their entire front seven. Ballard is a solid second round value, and has potential to become dominant next to Dareus.

37. Cleveland Browns: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
    Paea is a fringe first round talent, and, as the Browns are moving back to a 4-3. They’ll need a player like Paea to anchor their DL.

38. Arizona Cardinals: Jabaal Sheard, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh
    Sheard is a top 50 talent, and the best pass rusher on the board.

39. Tennessee Titans: Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
    The Titans will take a long look at Dalton, the first of many QBs to come off of the board in round 2.

40. Dallas Cowboys: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
    Williams projects to corner or safety, and he fills a big hole in Dallas’ secondary.

41. Washington Redskins: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida St.
    Ponder is a mobile QB who fits the WCO. If Shannahan doesn’t take Locker in round one, I think Ponder makes a lot of sense in the second.

42. Houston Texans: Rasi-I Dowling, CB/S, Virginia
    The secondary was the Texans’ Achilles heel last seasons. Dowling’s great workouts have pushed him into consideration in the late first round.

43. Minnesota Vikings: Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada
    Sorry, Vikes fans.

44. Detroit Lions:
    Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
    The Lions could have looked at Amukamara in the first.

45. San Francisco *****: Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa
    Stanzi is the fourth QB to be selected within six picks. The niners would love to jump ahead of Tennessee to have their pick of the pack.

46. Denver Broncos:
    Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois
    Wilson is a thumper, and purports to be the leader of the Broncos’ defense.

47. St. Louis Rams: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
    After missing Jones in round 1, the Rams pull the trigger on Smith in round 2. Sam Bradford will love him.

48. Oakland Raiders: James Carpenter OL, Alabama
    Carpenter is good value here, and the Raiders biggest need outside of QB is arguably their OL. It’s a fit.

49. Jacksonville Jaguars:
    Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
    This is a stock pick because it makes sense. There’s a huge hole in the Jaguars secondary.

50. San Diego Chargers: Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
    Baldwin could be the pick here, but his diva tag might scare the Chargers.

51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mason Foster, LB, Washington
    Foster has probably fallen a little bit in this draft, and the Bucs are the benefactors. He’ll be great next to Ruud.

52. New York Giants:
    Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida
    I’ve mocked Costanzo to the Giants in round one for a long time. Gilbert in round two accommodates Nick Fairley in the first.

53. Indianapolis Colts: Marvin Austin, DT, UNC
    Austin is not the cleanest player in this draft, but he does have first round talent. He’ll excel in between Freeney and Mathis.

54. Philadelphia Eagles: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas
    The Eagles passed on a corner in round one, but still found a pretty good one in the second.

55. Kansas City Chiefs: Titus Young, WR, Boise St.
    Young will be the speedy compliment to Dwayne Bowe.

56. New Orleans Saints:
    Sam Acho, OLB, Texas
    The Saints have been looking for an OLB, and Acho fits the bill. He’ll be great against the run.

57. Seattle Seahawks: Rodney Hudson, OL, Florida St.
    Memo to Pete Carroll: protect your investment.

58. Baltimore Ravens:
    Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
    Baldwin has a lot of similarities to Anquan Boldin. They’ll be great flankers for Joe Flacco.

59. Atlanta Falcons: Allen Bailey, DL, Miami
    The Falcons pick up a DE they could have targeted in round 1. Bailey could be drafted higher.

60. New England Patriots: Clint Boling, OG, Georgia
    The Patriots address their interior OL with a spectacular value pick.

61. San Diego Chargers: Ben Ijalana, OL, Villanova
    Ijalana could play inside or out, and will be of service right away in San Diego.

62. Chicago Bears: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois
    There’s no real reason why Leshoure should fall this far. He’ll be a great compliment to Forte.

63. Pittsburgh Steelers: Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh
    Steeler football is played from the inside out. Meet Pouncey’s smash brother.

64. Green Bay Packers: Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona
    Reed probably won’t be selected in round one, but it’s dubious that he’ll fall this far. The Matthews comparisons have worked favourably – he’ll play opposite him in ‘11.

ROUND THREE

65. Carolina Panthers: Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky
    66. Cincinnati Bengals: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
    67. Denver Broncos: Davon House, CB, New Mexico St.
    68. Buffalo Bills: Drake Nevis, DT, UNC
    69. Arizona Cardinals: Bruce Carter, OLB, UNC
    70. Cleveland Browns: Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
    71. Dallas Cowboys: Kenrick Ellis, DL, Hampton
    72. New Orleans Saints: Orlando Franklin, OT, Miami
    73. Houston Texans: Greg Little, WR, UNC
    74. New England Patriots: Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy
    75. Detroit Lions: Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State
    76. San Franscisco *****: Shareece Wright, CB, USA
    77. Tennessee Titans: Luke Stocker, TE, Tennessee
    78. St. Louis Rams: Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
    79. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech
    80. Jacksonville Jaguars: Kelvin Sheppard, LB, LSU
    81. Oakland Raiders: Kendric Burney, CB, UNC
    82. San Diego Chargers: KJ Wright, LB, MSU
    83. New York Giants: Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College
    84. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Deunta Williams, S, UNC
    85. Philadelphia Eagles: Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada
    86. Kansas City Chiefs: Stefen Wisniewski, C, Penn State
    87. Indianapolis Colts: James Brewer, OT, Indiana
    88. New Orleans Saints: Kendall Hunter, RB Oklahoma State
    89. San Diego Chargers: Jason Pinkston, OL, Pittsburgh
    90. Baltimore Ravens: Daniel Thomas, RB, Kansas St.
    91. Atlanta Falcons: Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisonsin
    92. New England Patriots: Jurrell Casey, DL, USC
    93. Chicago Bears: Lee Ziemba, OT, Auburn
    94. New York Jets: Jerrell Powe, DT, Mississippi
    95. Pittsburgh Steelers: Colin McCarthy, LB, Miami
    96. Green Bay Packers: Dwayne Harris, WR, Eastern Carolina
    97. Carolina Panthers: Pernell McPhee, DE, Mississppi State

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Re: Bar-bq's Revised Three Round NFL Mock Draft!

we are taking a lot of LB's on this mock draft. Why would we not take Mark Ingram or a O-Line in the first round? Forgive me if I am missing something, but we need someone to catch the ball, replace Jackson down the road and at least be able to rest our warrior. I like Mark Ingram first round if Green and Jones are not there. Then take O-Line second. We need to give Bradford time and well the shelf life on good Guards and Tackles isnt great.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    we are taking a lot of LB's on this mock draft. Why would we not take Mark Ingram or a O-Line in the first round? Forgive me if I am missing something, but we need someone to catch the ball, replace Jackson down the road and at least be able to rest our warrior. I like Mark Ingram first round if Green and Jones are not there. Then take O-Line second. We need to give Bradford time and well the shelf life on good Guards and Tackles isnt great.
    Why waste a first round pick on someone who is overrated in a weak 1st round RB class thats going to get 8 carries a game? I really do like this draft. Fills needs, and with quality players.

Corey Liuget would make our D line so much better. He would be a starter from day 1, and seeing him on a line with Fred Robbins, Chris Long and James Hall would frighten me.

Torrey Smith is a great deep threat. He will come here and work great with the WR's we already have. I think its a steal to see him drop that far.

Greg Jones is also a talented player filling a big hole. Our LB corps is now one of our serious strengths.

13RamFiend is offline Registered User

I really like this as well, we fill 3 need areas and can still find a quality guard or saftey in round 4

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

This draft seems to cover our needs well. I'd be interested to see rounds 4-7, but I'll have to wait a few more days before that happens. I must say, even though there are players I'd like a little bit more (coughjuliojonescough), I would be thrilled if the chips fell this way.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I just dont see Torrey smith being drafted by the Rams. His play style is soo similar to Clayton and Avery i just dont see him getting an opportunity. Also Smith ceiling is a #2 WR. We have Avery and Clayton for that. Hankerson would be a better fit if you are drafting for need. However if your looking for value Rudolph and Lashore are better options.

I cannot find the reports that state Bowers will be the pick for the titans if he is available. Also reports like these are normally not true. Also Pouncey reported will be a COwboy...Also i do not see fairley getting past the vikings i mean remember the Williams are aging and Fairley has so much talent.

But i like the Liuget and Jones pick

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I just dont see Torrey smith being drafted by the Rams. His play style is soo similar to Clayton and Avery i just dont see him getting an opportunity. Also Smith ceiling is a #2 WR. We have Avery and Clayton for that. Hankerson would be a better fit if you are drafting for need. However if your looking for value Rudolph and Lashore are better options.
    Let's define terms. I view a #1 receiver as a guy who has the size, speed, route running ability and hands to be the primary target on an NFL team. I think that Torrey Smith has all of those qualities. In my opinion, he's comparable to Reggie Wayne inasmuch as he does a lot of things really well, even though he won't blow you away out of the blocks. Wayne is still a threat to catch eight balls every game and top ten TDs and 1000 yards every season.

I cannot find the reports that state Bowers will be the pick for the titans if he is available. Also reports like these are normally not true. Also Pouncey reported will be a COwboy...Also i do not see fairley getting past the vikings i mean remember the Williams are aging and Fairley has so much talent.
    per Rotoworld, 10/4/11

This report allays concerns that the knee is in much worse condition than the Bowers camp has let on. Bowers reportedly had a "great meeting" with the Bills, and sources tell Yahoo's Doug Farrar that Denver and Buffalo are still interested. Though Farrar cautioned to take his report with a grain of salt, he also noted the Titans made it clear to Bowers that they would grab him at No. 8 if he's still on the board. The results of Bowers' medical recheck Friday in Indianapolis have not yet been released.
    The Pouncey thing was placed in the context of a trade-down. For instance, if they trade down to #14, he'd be an OK value fit.

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    We aren't taking a lot of LBs. By my count, we're taking one. It's presumably one of our bigger holes for the upcoming season. The reason we're not taking Ingram is because the value is better on Luiget. Better pick, fits the system, will start sooner rather than later. Aldon Smith was my next choice. All of our OL starters are under thirty years old. Some help at OG is needed, and we could pick one up anywhere from rounds 2-7. If Danny Watkins, from Baylor, was available in the second, I would have given him serious consideration.