throwback week



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

  1. #1
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Alton, Il. USA
    Age
    64
    Posts
    910
    Rep Power
    25

    Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    I think folks overlook Joe Barksdale as a possible long term solution at RT. I believe that Paul Boudreau and the Rams really like his play, and his upside.

    The guy was pretty highly thought of as a three year starter with great LSU teams, and the only team to give up on him was the Raiders, so that can be discounted as another in a long line of errors by that team.

    Kind of funny that we can thank the Raiders now for two of our O-linemen.

    The thing about Barksdale is that he has always been durable, and has all the tools to be a great RT. 6-5, long arms 325 solid pounds.

    He held off Rodger Saffold to hold the RT job, which says a lot about how they feel about him.

    I think t hey feel good enough about Barksdale to go another direction that tackle in round one, unless they are looking to replace Jake Long sooner, rather than later.

    Here are some scouting reports on Barksdale when he came out.


    2011 NFL Draft Prospect Profile: Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU - Big Blue View


    Underrated Prospect - OT Joseph Barksdale. - Field Gulls

    WalterFootball.com: 2011 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Joseph Barksdale

    Seeing the kind of deals Chris Williams and Shelly Smith got, I would say Joe Barksdale would have been a hot commodity if he were an unrestricted free agent.

    I think he's at least as good as Veldeer.

    Great signing by Snead.

    Barry Waller

  2. #2
    demiurge is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    356
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    I was with you up until the 'least as good as Veldeer.' I think its still very viable to take Robinson or Matthews if they think they can play guard, and the switch them back if needed. Both of those guys are great talents that you find a way to use, and I think either one of them would beat out Barksdale given the chance.

  3. #3
    turbofargo's Avatar
    turbofargo is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    421
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    His play has been consistant and good quality, add that with excellent line coaching and he's a great fit a RT. He comes across as the under the radar type of guy. Not much talk on him, does his job and is good at it!

  4. #4
    Mikey's Avatar
    Mikey is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,253
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    To borrow a phrase used about free agent linemen. He's a guy we took off the scrap heap and coached up to be adequate. If we have a chance to upgrade him I hope we do.

    its kind of funny to see people say we should replace productive dline guys like Langford, Long, Hayes and Simms, yet we shouldn't replace Barksdale with a first round pick.

    i think our two biggest spots that need to be addressed are LG and FS. Now if there isn't a draft pick available when we are picking that Snead thinks is worth the slot I hope he picks the best player at a position that provides an upgrade over the current starter.
    TekeRam likes this.

  5. #5
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,867
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    Joe Barksdale was pretty good last year, definitely. It'd be great if he ends up shoring up the right tackle spot for the present and future. With that said, I don't think Barksdale should have any effect on whether or not the Rams draft a tackle in the first round, because presumably whatever tackle they take would be projected as their future/long-term starter on the left side, not the right.
    MauiRam likes this.

  6. #6
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,571
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    Agreed. Big Joe is definitely a strong asset -- starter or depth -- on the right side.

  7. #7
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,061
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    I'm not 100% sold on Barksdale as the answer at RT, but he did play pretty well last year (especially against J.J. Watt), and showed improvement throughout the season. I'd love to see him solidify himself as a long term starter, but with too many questions on the left side, I'd still like to see a top offensive lineman taken early in the draft

  8. #8
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,411
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    Barksdale is a quality RT.
    Drafting a tackle is about replacing Long, not sure that's a #2 pick priority unless they determine Robinson is that elite.

  9. #9
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,574
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    Another reason we need to draft a OT this year is Barksdake is a free agent next year. If he starts and plays all 16 games and plays well. What kind of a deal will he will get in 2015? How much money can we tie up on the O line? If we draft Robinson and he plays guard this year and then moves to RT beacuse we can't afford to keep Barksdale that works. If J Long can't get back to form or is clearly on the down side of his career, we can move Robinson to LT and resign Barksdale to play right. IMO we have to get one of the two elite OTs this year.
    Mikey and Haste like this.

  10. #10
    Mikey's Avatar
    Mikey is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,253
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Another reason we need to draft a OT this year is Barksdake is a free agent next year. If he starts and plays all 16 games and plays well. What kind of a deal will he will get in 2015? How much money can we tie up on the O line? If we draft Robinson and he plays guard this year and then moves to RT beacuse we can't afford to keep Barksdale that works. If J Long can't get back to form or is clearly on the down side of his career, we can move Robinson to LT and resign Barksdale to play right. IMO we have to get one of the two elite OTs this year.
    The Long contract makes it easy to release him if he gets hurt again this year. Not only is guard a big need but we could lose both tackles next year. Drafting Matthews or Robinson makes even more sense when we look into the near future of the Rams.

  11. #11
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,837
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    The way I read some of these posts, we are the Costco shoppers of the NFL. If Barksdale plays all 16 games and plays well, we'll pay what it takes to keep him. Let's not lose sight that he's a RT not LT, big difference in money. I do like that he's panning out real well for us and I think he'll continue to improve as he's still young.

    I agree that we'll need to draft a LT replacement for Long. But if Long plays well in 2014 and stays healthy what's the rush to replace him? I know the cap money is high, but once again as I keep saying, free agents will cost you. Perhaps that explains our relative silence this year in free agency.

    Incidentally, I am a Costco shopper and love the deals.

    Go Rams!

  12. #12
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,411
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    Jake Long is going to be 29 years old in May.
    The idea of drafting his replacement is odd to me.
    Chris Long and Kendall Langford are 28 yet nobody talks of drafting their replacements.
    James Laurinaitis will be 28 this season, are we drafting his replacement?
    Scott Wells is 33, shouldn't we be getting a Center?

    Seems to me if you are drafting a replacement for a 29 year old, you do that in the 3rd or 4th round and coach them up for 2 years.

    I like how Barksdale is OK and needed to be replaced when they were talking about Matthews and now we might not be able to afford to resign him he's so good.

  13. #13
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,899
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Jake Long is going to be 29 years old in May.
    The idea of drafting his replacement is odd to me.
    Chris Long and Kendall Langford are 28 yet nobody talks of drafting their replacements.
    James Laurinaitis will be 28 this season, are we drafting his replacement?
    Scott Wells is 33, shouldn't we be getting a Center?

    Seems to me if you are drafting a replacement for a 29 year old, you do that in the 3rd or 4th round and coach them up for 2 years.

    I like how Barksdale is OK and needed to be replaced when they were talking about Matthews and now we might not be able to afford to resign him he's so good.
    Actually a number of posters on here think we should grab Clowney and cut Long, and get rid of Scott Wells as well, so it's been discussed before.

    As far as Barksdale goes, its entirely possible he could command a pretty good sized deal based upon the numbers that mediocre linemen have been getting this year. Teams are desperate for offensive line help as defenses are finding new ways to harass the QB, and guys that wouldn't normally get much money are getting fairly large deals considering their level of play. So it's entirely possible Barksdale gets a sizeable contract next year. To me, that's all the more reason to get a new tackle in the draft.

  14. #14
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,574
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    The way I read some of these posts, we are the Costco shoppers of the NFL. If Barksdale plays all 16 games and plays well, we'll pay what it takes to keep him. Let's not lose sight that he's a RT not LT, big difference in money. I do like that he's panning out real well for us and I think he'll continue to improve as he's still young.

    I agree that we'll need to draft a LT replacement for Long. But if Long plays well in 2014 and stays healthy what's the rush to replace him? I know the cap money is high, but once again as I keep saying, free agents will cost you. Perhaps that explains our relative silence this year in free agency.

    Incidentally, I am a Costco shopper and love the deals.

    Go Rams!
    I don't think we are the Costco shoppers ( I do like big everything!) with Sam's contract, J Long, C Long, JL and a few others. If we can get an elite OT on the cheap for five years, like Quinn is now. I think we have to do that. Also that little world you used IF... if J Long plays well. The fact that you said if means there is a possibility you think he may not. We have a shot at an elite tackle this year because of the poor play of the skins. I would be happy to finish the RG3 trade off with what could be a elite O linemen on the line. I don't see us picking any higher then 15-20 next year and I hope it's more like 25. As far as Long I hope he plays great and is the LT for years to come. Having depth is something we have not had with any group in years, having it on the O line would be a great place to start.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-18-2014 at 03:42 PM.

  15. #15
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,837
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Barksdale Not Just a Guy

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I don't think we are the Costco shoppers ( I do like big everything!) with Sam's contract, J Long, C Long, JL and a few others. If we can get an elite OT on the cheap for five years, like Quinn is now. I think we have to do that. Also that little world you used IF... if J Long plays well. The fact that you said if means there is a possibility you think he may not. We have a shot at an elite tackle this year because of the poor play of the skins. I would be happy to finish the RG3 trade off with what could be a elite O linemen on the line. I don't see us picking any higher then 15-20 next year and I hope it's more like 25. As far as Long I hope he plays great and is the LT for years to come. Having depth is something we have not had with any group in years, having it on the O line would be a great place to start.
    Rambos you are right, we aren't Costco shoppers when you mention those deals. I was reacting more to the comments concerning Barksdale. We are going to have to pay someone to play RT, so it may as well be someone who plays it well and if he's worth the money we shouldn't be scared what it will cost. That was my frame of reference.

    My reference to Long was more in terms of injury. He is a very talented and not that old. His injury history the past few years hasn't been terrific, plus we have to add depth, as you indicated. I'm not saying we need to draft an OT in the 1st round, but we'll need to draft one in the early round-mid rounds. I'm having a hard time seeing us pass on Greg Robinson because I think he's a physical freak and has enormous upside. I am fully aware of Jason Smith and Alex Barron having those upside qualities attached to them.

    Go Rams!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Thoughts on Barksdale
    By general counsel in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: -11-07-2013, 06:50 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: -09-19-2013, 11:52 AM
  3. Barksdale Gets Hall Of Fame Tutelage
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-13-2013, 05:19 PM
  4. Barksdale Is Likely To Fill In For Hunter
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -10-20-2012, 03:51 PM
  5. Joe Barksdale
    By RebelYell in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -10-19-2012, 03:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •