Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Barring Trade, Rams Deciding on Mack or Watkins

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barring Trade, Rams Deciding on Mack or Watkins

I've come accross something interesting.

Campbell states the following in his article:

From speaking to sources, if St. Louis is stuck there and can't select Jadeveon Clowney, its pick is coming down to Watkins or Mack.
    This clearly indicates that, according to Campbell's "sources," the Rams would take Clowney over Mack.

Despite this, Campbell made the following selection in DraftCountdown's live mock today:

Here are the results from the live mock draft:

1. Houston Texans: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida (Shane P. Hallam)
    2. St. Louis Rams (f/WAS): Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo (Charlie Campbell)
    3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina (Scott Wright)

It seems very odd to me that Campbell would project Mack OVER Clowney if reliable sources told him that the Rams' first choice is Clowney.

I'm calling shenanigans on the whole thing.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Again, despite your repeated efforts to twist my words, my point is rather simple.

Assume you had two players. Same position. Both are 6'4, 220 lbs. Both run a 4.4. Both had 30 reps on the bench. Both had the exact same stats in college. The only difference between the two is that one played for Florida, and the other played for North Dakota State.

Are you telling me that you disagree with the assertion that it would be easier to project the Florida player than the South Dakota State player as an NFL prospect?

If you agree with THAT concept, then you agree with me, and the only person you are arguing with is the strawman you've created out of thin air.
    You made no mention of EASIER to make that projection. You said that they couldn't make that projection.

And I quote:

Turbofan:

That said, however, he brought up Mack and thinks he's the best defensive player to come out in the past 15 years.

I know that this is Hyperbole Season, but how can anyone say that about a guy who played at Buffalo?

Not Ohio State. Not Alabama. Not USC. Not FSU.

Buffalo.

So that's why we are arguing.

If that isn't what you meant, fine enough.

I agree that its EASIER to make the assessment of the guy that went to the big school. I disagree though that is what the scout's job is - his job is to make the correct assessment. The Steelers dominated the 70s because they went out and hit on so many of those small school guys that turned into legends.

So back to your original quote, yes, I do believe you can make that assessment. And if you are doing your job and that's what the facts tell you, and you are good at your job as a talent evaluator, you fail your team if you don't make that assessment if its what you believe.

Again, the very last overall #1 pick was a small school guy. Clearly this is something that does indeed happen at the pro level.

And when I said, "how can anyone say that..." what was the "that" I was referring to?

It was the assertion that Mack could be projected as the top defensive prospect in 15 years.

Next time, try reading things in context. It will help with your comprehension, which seems to be lacking.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Who the hell is this Turbofan and why is he stealing my material!
    AvengerRam and FestusRam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    And when I said, "how can anyone say that..." what was the "that" I was referring to?

It was the assertion that Mack could be projected as the top defensive prospect in 15 years.

Next time, try reading things in context. It will help with your comprehension, which seems to be lacking.
    That is in context, sparky.

You could indeed say that a small college prospect is a once in a generation player.

Indeed, you already conceded that point:

Demiurge:
    Because I disagree with the concept that a small school prospect can't be considered a generational player, a once every 20 years prospect

AvengerRam:
    If someone were to express that concept, I would disagree with it too.

So which one is it? Can you or can't you say that he's a once in a generation prospect from a small college? Why have you said both?

Quote Originally Posted by turbofargo View Post
    Who the hell is this Turbofan and why is he stealing my material!
    You think he'd have better taste.

Sorry, Mr Fargo, was hastily editing something, I apologize for getting your name wrong.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

No big. I'm just enjoying the points being given and taken from either side of the argument. All from what a ESPN analyst said. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post

That is in context, sparky.

You could indeed say that a small college prospect is a once in a generation player.

Indeed, you already conceded that point:

Demiurge:
    Because I disagree with the concept that a small school prospect can't be considered a generational player, a once every 20 years prospect

AvengerRam:
    If someone were to express that concept, I would disagree with it too.

So which one is it? Can you or can't you say that he's a once in a generation prospect from a small college? Why have you said both?
    Clearly, you are unable to distinguish between my agreement that many small school guys have become elite NFL players, and the ENTIRELY DIFFERENT point that it is harder to project players coming from small schools than it is to project players who faced top college competition.

I'm not responding to any more of you're nonsense. Learn to read. We're done.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-04-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

From speaking to sources, if St. Louis is stuck there and can't select Jadeveon Clowney, its pick is coming down to Watkins or Mack.
    cfh128 and sosa39rams like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123