View Poll Results: How happy are you with the Barron/Carpenter Trade?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • We got a steal!!!

20 24.39%
  • eh... about even...

56 68.29%
  • What was the FO thinkin????

6 7.32%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

How happy is the Rams nation with this trade?

Personally I feel that Spags and Devaney know exactly what they are getting when it comes to Ohio State LB's. If Carpenter becomes a starter, no one can ever talk trash about Devaney again...lol
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -05-10-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

I wouldn't go as far as to call it a steal. We got a player who might start for us but probably wouldn't start in Dallas. Dallas got a player that probably wouldn't start for us but might sabotage their playoff aspirations if they let him start. So it's a sorta win-sorta win situation. I'm more optimistic about Carpenter's future with the team than I was with Barron's.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

could be any of the three, i'll wait to see what happens when he's on the field.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

This is a steal I would traded him for a bag of skittles. He has never lived up to what he was which is a first round tackle. So imo we just stole bobby cause barron is just gonna sit on the bench in dallas.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't know that I'd call it a steal exactly, but it's closer to a steal than even. We got a good intangible LB that is moving back to his natural position. He's a 250-lb'er that shies away from bigger blockers (which is a little weird), but he's good his good points as well. However, in exchange we gave up a guy who (I believe) will be out of football in a couple of years. Barron will be 28 this season. Physically, it's all down hill for him. At some point very soon, he will have to rely on his technique and intelligence to stay in the game.

And guess which two characteristics are not his strong suit?

It starts with a "t" and ends with a "echnique & intelligence".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think right now, it's about even. We are gaining a player who really disappointed Cowboys fans for a player who really disappointed Rams fans.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Devaney has said on 101 ESPN to address all those who thinks we could have gotten more for Barron. Basically, they shopped him around to every team in the league and were satisfied to get Carpenter from the Cowboys. Also stated that he liked what they have in Phil Trauwein and Jason Mckee and would have been relatively content with those two duking it out for the RT spot if they had not have drafted Saffold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Devaney has said on 101 ESPN to address all those who thinks we could have gotten more for Barron. Basically, they shopped him around to every team in the league and were satisfied to get Carpenter from the Cowboys.
    Yea, I'd buy that.

Also stated that he liked what they have in Phil Trauwein and Jason Mckee and would have been relatively content with those two duking it out for the RT spot if they had not have drafted Saffold.
    HA! I, however, wouldn't buy THIS, if it were on clearance!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I think right now, it's about even. We are gaining a player who really disappointed Cowboys fans for a player who really disappointed Rams fans.
    Agreed on both accounts. Do you think Carpenter's new environment (ie. a 4-3 defense) will lend itself to becoming the better end of the deal than Barron's new environment (ie. I don't know, fewer basketball courts in Dallas, maybe?)?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Agreed on both accounts. Do you think Carpenter's new environment (ie. a 4-3 defense) will lend itself to becoming the better end of the deal than Barron's new environment (ie. I don't know, fewer basketball courts in Dallas, maybe?)?
    Hard to say. I think if anything it could be what Barron needs. Playing in that environment every week, if that doesn't motivate you nothing will.

I watched a lot of Cowboys games living here and Carpenter seemed soft to me for a LB. We'll see.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Hard to say. I think if anything it could be what Barron needs. Playing in that environment every week, if that doesn't motivate you nothing will.

I watched a lot of Cowboys games living here and Carpenter seemed soft to me for a LB. We'll see.
    Oh that's great! We trade a durable yet not perfect LT/RT for a soft LB?!

That's the key word isn't it?

I don't think there's anything that can motivate that kid. I think lazy is just lazy regardless of where it shows up.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I think it's even. Both players have premier abilities, they just haven't reached their potential. Barron has pro-bowl talent but he doesn't care. It's the M.O. of this front office to get rid of players that don't care and replace them with guys who give 100%. I'm fine with that. Maybe with the switch, Carpenter can put things together.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

All it takes is Carpenter taking off his panties (Everyone else is taking shots at him...) and fixing apparent shoddy tackling and we have a Will Backer that can do it all. I'll take that over a big guy who goes off inside his head during a crisis in true Hannibal Lecter fashion...

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Spags must think he is fixable. After all, he was a LB coach at some point wasn't he?

I'm just guessing here, but maybe we use Na'il Diggs on running downs, and we use Carpenter on passing downs when we need more of a finesse player?
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -05-17-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast