View Poll Results: How happy are you with the Barron/Carpenter Trade?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • We got a steal!!!

    20 24.39%
  • eh... about even...

    56 68.29%
  • What was the FO thinkin????

    6 7.32%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
  1. #16
    peramoure is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    239
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    I live in Dallas, and as a Rams fan, I kind of think we got screwed. Alex Barron has been a starting LT for years, and Carpenter has been a Parcells pick (as a son of a former player he coached) and has done nothing. Zero. Zilch. Took up roster space and pissed people off.

    His nickname in Dallas is Barbie Carpenter because of his long hair and failure to produce and work hard. I hope he does well in the 4-3 but I think it is silly to make excuses as if he's going to be a rock solid guy because the scheme switched.


  2. #17
    thickandthin's Avatar
    thickandthin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    460
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    This is a steal I would traded him for a bag of skittles. He has never lived up to what he was which is a first round tackle. So imo we just stole bobby cause barron is just gonna sit on the bench in dallas.
    Carpenter was on the bench in Dallas too.

  3. #18
    tank_dogg06's Avatar
    tank_dogg06 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    From the resident Ohio State fan...We got a steal.

    Bobby Carpenter's struggles in Dallas was due to playing in a 3-4 defense. The Rams defense is a lot like what he was use to at Ohio State and he'll be much more comfortable in St. Louis.

    Trust and believe...He'll come around.

  4. #19
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,589
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by tank_dogg06 View Post
    From the resident Ohio State fan...We got a steal.

    Bobby Carpenter's struggles in Dallas was due to playing in a 3-4 defense. The Rams defense is a lot like what he was use to at Ohio State and he'll be much more comfortable in St. Louis.

    Trust and believe...He'll come around.
    Welcome aboard, tank. And I would love nothing more than to believe that a change in alignment will bring back the Carpenter seen in Columbus. But a LB getting run over by blockers is not a something a scheme fixes. Still hopeful, though.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  5. #20
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,480
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    I'd say it's about even. Both are former first round picks who have been disappointments for the teams they drafted, and are being viewed as potential starters on the teams that traded for them. I guess Barron's experience is a plus, but since he's never really played outstanding football, I think it's a marginal advantage.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  6. #21
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,897
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    One thing seems sure - Carpenter should get more playing time for us than Barron will for the Pokes .. Barron is slated to be a backup if I'm not mistaken, while Carpenter will start somewhere on the outside - weak or strong side.

    A question comes to mind regarding Bobby's play in Dallas. Does anyone know how well the 3 linemen in front of him played? Just because Bobby weighs in at 250 lbs instead of say 230 or 235, doesn't make him Superman. If he's trying to dodge 310lb plus linemen who've gotten to the second level, I don't see 15 pounds as that much of an advantage .. Just ask Ray Lewis how it was the year after the "Goose" retired ..

    On the surface, it appears one disappointment was exchanged for another, but we may be pleasantly surprised. We'll see in a few months ...

  7. #22
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    The front 3 was pretty solid most of the time. Got gashed a few times but not often.

  8. #23
    Bralidore(RAMMODE)'s Avatar
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,149
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    One thing seems sure - Carpenter should get more playing time for us than Barron will for the Pokes .. Barron is slated to be a backup if I'm not mistaken, while Carpenter will start somewhere on the outside - weak or strong side.
    Whoh slow down there..Let's not assume he will walk in and start eh?

    Its very possible he's only brought in on special teams or passing downs. We need to stop writing guys like Vobora off the list. Should be fun to watch the competition in training camp.

  9. #24
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,589
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    The front 3 was pretty solid most of the time. Got gashed a few times but not often.
    No doubt. Spears, Ratliff, & Olshansky........can't get a much better front 3 than that. Carpenter's woes can't be put on their shoulders.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  10. #25
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,370
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    I'm cautiously optimistic that The Rams got the better deal. Barron was given a lot more opportunity than Carpenter seems to have & never failed to disappoint.People seem to forget that there was a lot of controversy about Dallas' defensive strategy/scheme just a year or two ago. Dallas' HC, Phillips, took over playcalling at one point,didn't he ? Is it that farfetched to believe they misused/ failed to develop this guy? And that his bad rep among fans/pundits has as much to do with the polarizing Parcells connection as anything.

    Btw, HC stands for Head Cheerleader, not head coach, in this instance. Everyone knows Dallas' coach is Jones.

  11. #26
    tank_dogg06's Avatar
    tank_dogg06 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Welcome aboard, tank. And I would love nothing more than to believe that a change in alignment will bring back the Carpenter seen in Columbus. But a LB getting run over by blockers is not a something a scheme fixes. Still hopeful, though.
    If nothing else I'm sure he'll be comfortable around all the former Buckeyes. He probably won't be an every down starter but I expect him to contribute in some way.

  12. #27
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,079
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    What I think is that:

    Since Barron got more starting time throughout his career, shouldn't he be better?

    But no, he hasn't really ever shown improvement, technique wise and mentality wise.


    Carpenter on the other hand, was pushed down the depth chart due to his inability to fit into the new scheme, and his lack of physicality to meet Dallas' standards.


    IMO, Carpenter has a higher ceiling than Barron.

  13. #28
    Bralidore(RAMMODE)'s Avatar
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,149
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    Watching Dallas Hard Knocks serious as im typing this. They have a lot of Amendola and Carpenter in episodes 3-5. They're sitting around talking about Amendola and how he's a very hard working intelligent guy but his size is killing him.

    I liked the desire and leadership I saw out of Carpenter in telling guys where to line up. He was off in on in term os physicality. In practice he blows upa runningback but in one particular game against the texans in the preseason he sprints down field on special teams and then leans into a blocker shoulder first trying to soften the blow and got blown up. Got knocked around in practice by offensive lineman and one embarrassing instance where the receiver knocks him on his ass. The Cowboys FO seemed to echo the sentiment around here. He's a great physical specimen with outstanding speed, size, and ability. His physicality just was way too off and on. I'm very hopeful that a chance to start in the right scheme and a new situation will bring it out of this guy, lord knows he has the ability, work ethic, and size.

  14. #29
    thickandthin's Avatar
    thickandthin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    460
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Watching Dallas Hard Knocks serious as im typing this. They have a lot of Amendola and Carpenter in episodes 3-5. They're sitting around talking about Amendola and how he's a very hard working intelligent guy but his size is killing him.

    I liked the desire and leadership I saw out of Carpenter in telling guys where to line up. He was off in on in term os physicality. In practice he blows upa runningback but in one particular game against the texans in the preseason he sprints down field on special teams and then leans into a blocker shoulder first trying to soften the blow and got blown up. Got knocked around in practice by offensive lineman and one embarrassing instance where the receiver knocks him on his ass. The Cowboys FO seemed to echo the sentiment around here. He's a great physical specimen with outstanding speed, size, and ability. His physicality just was way too off and on. I'm very hopeful that a chance to start in the right scheme and a new situation will bring it out of this guy, lord knows he has the ability, work ethic, and size.
    I don't really see how a change of scheme will help his physicality. but ya never know I could be wrong.

  15. #30
    tank_dogg06's Avatar
    tank_dogg06 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Barron/Carpenter Trade a Done Deal

    Quote Originally Posted by thickandthin View Post
    I don't really see how a change of scheme will help his physicality. but ya never know I could be wrong.
    Well if anybody can help him improve it would be a defensive guy like Spags.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: -02-10-2010, 11:27 AM
  2. Jim Thomas Live, Jan 4th
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-05-2008, 09:34 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: -03-22-2006, 01:17 AM
  4. Rams and Pace reach deal
    By Aries51 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -03-16-2005, 03:19 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: -02-28-2005, 12:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •