BarronWade is offline Registered User

BarronWade's mock off-season

So right now we are 0-7 and this is the way i think our off season will go down

First: Pat Shurmur is released (finally). Giants RB coach Jerald Ingram fills that spot hopefully he can do something.

Second: Bulger reconstructs his contract to keep his job as Rams starter (for now).

RE-SIGN:
    TE Dan Fells about 3-4 yrs.
    Receiving TE can help if we cannot get a good receiver in the draft. Even if we do Fells is a good 2nd catching TE like Shincoe was in NY.

OG/C Richie Incognito about 1-2 yrs
    At this point we do not need to create a whole at Guard. So we get cogs for the short term and find a suitable starter in the next yr or 2.

DE James Hall 1yr
    I think Little will either retire or spend one more year elsewhere. So we need a veteran leader and Hall has played well for us.

DT Cliff Ryan 4-5 yrs
    Give me 1 reason why we wont re-sign our best DT that is only 25 right now.

DB John Wade 1 yr
    He is a restricted free agent so we will obviously tender him if someone else wants him they give us a 1st rounder. or 3rd depending on how much we tender him.

S Craig Dahl 2-3 yrs
    pleasant surprise for us.

OJ Atogwe 2 yrs
    I think if we cannot re-sign him we will just put the franchise on him then he will negotiate a deal for about 2 yrs and see the direction of the team.

Key Depatures:
    DE Leonard Little (see james hall)
    OG Jacob Bell (i dont see him reconstructing his deal which will get him cut)
    TE Randy McMicheal (good riddance)
    OT Alex Barron (penalties aside he is having a good year; i think we low ball him and some team gives him big bucks and a long term deal because of his size and talent. )
    OLB Paris Lenon (why would we resign an average 32 yr old.
    QB Kyle Boller (he could not protect the Boll)
    DE Victor Adeyenju (we kept on keeping him inactive i dont think spags likes him)
    RB Ken Darby (not as good a blocker as last year)

NOTE: For all of you that think we can sign Breaston or Moore: why would young receivers destined for a good future come to the Rams that have QB issues?

Key Arrivals:
    DT Barry Coefield
    This is a popular one because the G-men have depth on DL and Coefield will start with the Rams. He has conections with Spags.

LB Chris Gocong
    He has connections with spags. He is a big LB. THe eagles just got spoon so they probably wont keep him. Your probably thinking why would he switch to OLB and come to the Rams. This will be the guy we give alot of money/ incentives to. He will be our "major" FA acquisition.

WR Dominik Hixon
    unlike us the Giants have young receivers that are all flourishing and Hixon may be dropped in favor of Smith, Manningham and Nicks. We are in need of WRs and Hixon can try to earn a starting spot in 2010.

Trade: Rams trade Adam Carriker for an early 4th rounder.

*Draft*

Round 1: QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame
    It's up in the air Clausen or Locker at this point. I rather take Clausen because he has all the fundamentals down pat and he is accurate and can throw it deep. Also he is younger.

Round 2:OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers
    Big OT projected late 1st-early 2nd i think he will fall to the 2nd round cuz his feet will get exposed on tape. Not a good pass blocker. But very good vs. the run. I made this pic because most of the drafts have Jared Ordik the DT from Penn State here and im getting tired of seeing his name in the 2nd for us every time.

Round 3: Eric Decker WR, Minnisota
    Not a flashy receiver. A possessional receiver that can leap and is tall at 6-3 and can block well. He is polished and NFL ready.

Round 4: OG Thomas Austin, Clemson
    Good run bloking OG. Big an physical. Already blocks for a good RB at the college level CJ Spiller.

(another 4th see AC trade)
    Round 4: TE Garett Graham, Wisconsin
    Nice pass catching TE. Should develop into a starter.

Round 5: Dekota Watson WLB, Florida State
    only 225 pounds but is fast and can get to the QB. He is there for depth at OLB.

(Spoon Deal)
    Round 5: Stephan Virgil DB, Virginia Tech
    Plays pretty good D. Can pick it off. He is a bloomer bust guy. let's hope he turns into a successful player

Round 6: George Johnson DE, Rutgers
    Big run stopping DE. Can play RE for us.

Round 7: Boris Lee OLB Troy (does not make team)

Round 7: Edward Britton WR, Texas Tech (does not make team)

Depth Charts:

QB:Bulger, Clausen, Null
    RB: Action Jackson, Gado, Ogobannya
    FB: Karney

WR1: Domminik Hixon, Laurant Robinson, Burton
    WR2: Donnie Avery, Eric Decker, Amendola
    Slot: Laurant Robinson, Eric Decker, Amendola
    TE: Dan Fells, Garret Graham, Billy Bajema

LT: Jason Smith, Goldberg
    LG: John Grecco, Goldberg, Tom Austin
    C: Jason Brown, Cogs
    RG: Cogs, Tom Austin
    RT: Anthony Davis, Goldberg

LE: Chris Long, CJ Ah You
    DT: Cliff Ryan, Dorrel Scott,
    DT: Barry Coefield, Gary Gibson
    RE: James Hall, Jerome Johson

WLB: Vabora, Dekota Watson
    MLB: Lauriniatis, Vabora
    SLB: Chris Gocong, Vabora

CB1: Ron Bartell, Jon Wade
    CB2: Brad Fletcher,Justin King, Stephan Virgil
    Nickel: Jon Wade

FS: OJ, Dahl
    SS: Butler, Dahl

Obviously we are going to have more depth then this and sign a few more FA but i just put KEY arrivals and depth charts is hard to project right now.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: BarronWade's mock off-season

Not bad, I like it alot except for the fact that we didn't add alot at DE, where we are dire need of a pass rusher.

Gocong wont demand huge money he is SLB and he has never topped a 100 tackles. Spags turned him from DE to SLB he would be a really nice addition, but he wont demand big bucks and thats a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Not bad, I like it alot except for the fact that we didn't add alot at DE, where we are dire need of a pass rusher.

Gocong wont demand huge money he is SLB and he has never topped a 100 tackles. Spags turned him from DE to SLB he would be a really nice addition, but he wont demand big bucks and thats a good thing
    ooo yea your right. I thought gocong had a couple 100 tkl seasons. I was wrong. If he isnt expensive i would look at Darryl Tapp and Marcus Spears in Free Agency but im not convinced at either one of those.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Do you think Eric decker will still be available in the 3rd or do we go for him in the second? I think he will be snatched up in the late second. Other wise i like it although I like Suh in the first round. Also i think we should keep little on a year to year basis if he agrees to it until we find a suitable replacement at de.

RamsFan16 Guest

Not bad. Two things, Bradley Fletcher won't be back until this time next year, so we have to do something with the cornerback spot. The backup running back position should furthur be fixed, Obgonyoa (sp*) isn't going to cut it in my opinion. Also the Defensive End position needs some help, we need someone to go opposite Chris Long who is legit.

Other than that, not too bad my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Do you think Eric decker will still be available in the 3rd or do we go for him in the second? I think he will be snatched up in the late second. Other wise i like it although I like Suh in the first round. Also i think we should keep little on a year to year basis if he agrees to it until we find a suitable replacement at de.
    Well here is the thing if decker is not there we can go for Roddreick Muckelroy our of Texas he is a OLB. But i do feel like Decker will be there for us to snatch at the top of the 3rd.

As for favoring Suh i also like him. I think he will be a great DT cuz he can pass rush and run stop. He can play 3 and 5 technique very good player but, The rams need a playmaker to compliment S-Jax. And if Spags wants to be successful as a head coach he knows he has to bring in his guy at QB not a martz/lenahan carry over.

We need to let Chris Long grasp his full potential. Let's try him at LE next year. Remember he got his 1st career sack on the left side vs. the Giants i week 2 last year. lol i live in NJ and was happy i could watch a Rams game on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Not bad. Two things, Bradley Fletcher won't be back until this time next year, so we have to do something with the cornerback spot. The backup running back position should furthur be fixed, Obgonyoa (sp*) isn't going to cut it in my opinion. Also the Defensive End position needs some help, we need someone to go opposite Chris Long who is legit.

Other than that, not too bad my friend.
    K lets start with back up running back. Has Gado done anything to make us cut him? Has he done much at all on sunday? The answer to both are NO. Action Jackson carries the load and it does not seem like he needs a rest. So we don't need a solid back RB. Also if we do want a legit back-up we would take him in the top 3-4 rounds cuz wats the difference of taking a late round RB when we took Ogabanya last year. The answer is a wasted pik either this year or next year.

We have a bunch of young CBs. Lets see them get more playing time and establish themselves as starters. Like Wade, King, or Quincy Butler who will probably start vs. Detroit.

I agree i did not do much to address the DE position. But, we are not going to get a 1yr replacement cuz we have Hall for that. I got to think about DE.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

We need help in protecting Bulger/Clausen. We draft a below average pass blocker in Anthony Davis. Does this make sense? Although I like his size, pass blocking is something we really need work on.

Other than that, I love the Clausen pick, but we probably need DE help more earlier than the 6th round.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    We need help in protecting Bulger/Clausen. We draft a below average pass blocker in Anthony Davis. Does this make sense? Although I like his size, pass blocking is something we really need work on.

Other than that, I love the Clausen pick, but we probably need DE help more earlier than the 6th round.
    What's more important?

A) Protecting our weakness (passing game)

B) Protecting our Strength (Action Jackson)

We are a young team and we should build on our strength. Davis has potential and can become average at pass protecting. Look at what Jackson is doing right now with 2 dancer type pass blocking tackles. Then think about Jackson running to the right with Jason Brown-Cogs-Davis. That is alot of meat right there.

I have picked apart with the DE thing lol. Cuz looking a free-agents most of them are either 30 or will become 30 in 1-2 years. We don't need a WR though the draft (unless its a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitz type) because we have too many WRs that will be potentially good. Decker has little upside cuz he is already nfl ready so i think he is a good fit. I was thinking about Kindle in the 3rd but he is a 3-4 guy.

I'd say if Darryl Tapp hits the market we might try for him but getting him will force us to over pay but is it worth it?

So at DE i think we have to rely on Chris Long's progression.