Thread: Barry Cofield

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

Barry Cofield

This offseason is a big one for the rams. We appear to be turning the corner towards being a respectable and hard nosed team. We still lack talent in some important positions. There are two interesting FAs (potentially) coming out of the New York Giants. These are Spags players which undoubtedly would help us out if the Rams were serious about extending offers in the case they come free.

I believe Barry Cofield would be a tremendous signing for the Rams, he's young at 26, plays hard, and is happy with the roll of line disruptor to free up the LBs. Fred Robbins had a stellar year, but at his age its hard to imagine it will keep up (fingers crossed it does). Barry could step in and fill a nice hole, the question is how much would it cost us?

Mattias Kiwanuka is interesting as well. His injuries may be a concern but his price may be cheaper as a result. Could provide some young legs at the DE/OLB positions.

At this point it may be wishful thinking that the Giants let Cofield go, but i have yet to see anything that points the Cofield signing as a done deal.. although i understand the uncertainty of the CBA puts everything in to question.

Defence Wins Championships

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Barry Cofield

I think Giants will be making resigning Cofield a top priority and if he does hit the FA market he will command quite a lot of money but you'd think that the Rams would be the front runners to get his signature. As for Kiwi from what I've read from Giant fans and their front office it looks like the team might let him hit free agency. I would love to bring either one of them in.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    I think Giants will be making resigning Cofield a top priority and if he does hit the FA market he will command quite a lot of money but you'd think that the Rams would be the front runners to get his signature. As for Kiwi from what I've read from Giant fans and their front office it looks like the team might let him hit free agency. I would love to bring either one of them in.
    The reason why alot of people say Kiwi will walk is because he hasn't played good nor stay healthy. Coefield can still play but the Giants secondary is there top priority.

I think Kiwi is only worth a shot if he wants to play for next to nothing....otherwise he can stay as a backup and age on the Giants....

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    The reason why alot of people say Kiwi will walk is because he hasn't played good nor stay healthy. Coefield can still play but the Giants secondary is there top priority.

I think Kiwi is only worth a shot if he wants to play for next to nothing....otherwise he can stay as a backup and age on the Giants....
    He played 3 games this past season before he got injured. The two seasons prior to this he played in all 16 games. The only games he's missed before this season were in 2007 when he missed 6 games. So he had a bad injury this year but before that he seems to have been healthy.

As for his play, in his 3 games in 2010 he picked up 4 sacks. He had his best year (8 sacks, 51 tackles) in Spags' last year in New York. He can play DE and OLB - both positions the Rams need more talent. I'd love to see him brought in this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    He played 3 games this past season before he got injured. The two seasons prior to this he played in all 16 games. The only games he's missed before this season were in 2007 when he missed 6 games. So he had a bad injury this year but before that he seems to have been healthy.

As for his play, in his 3 games in 2010 he picked up 4 sacks. He had his best year (8 sacks, 51 tackles) in Spags' last year in New York. He can play DE and OLB - both positions the Rams need more talent. I'd love to see him brought in this offseason.
    Both these guys have familiarity with spags and his system, love the fact that he knows how to squeeze some juice out them. I would love Barry Co but as you mentioned might be unrealistic, i see kiwi as a real possibility. He might come cheap with some considerable upside.

IF Barry hits the FA market i really feel like st. lou would be a priority spot for him to land.. that being said it really does depend how serious the rams are about signing other players in FA.. if they go out and land a big WR (rice/Vjax) then i dont see them spending big on a DT as well.

But we can hope!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

This isn't true. He had a one bad injury. And the only reason they don't mind getting rid of him is because they have Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and an upcoming Jason Pierre-Paul. Thats 1 pro bowl DE, another that could have easily made it, and a future pro bowler.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Guys,

I really dont mind at all us looking at guys like that, but if he had that one bad injury, dont you think the Giants would be more than happy to get rid of him? I mean, there is NOTHING wrong with picking up other teams "leftovers" but i just dont like our reputation sometimes for picking up other teams rejects and practice squad players.

Although Amendola was a wonderful signing....

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    Guys,

I really dont mind at all us looking at guys like that, but if he had that one bad injury, dont you think the Giants would be more than happy to get rid of him? I mean, there is NOTHING wrong with picking up other teams "leftovers" but i just dont like our reputation sometimes for picking up other teams rejects and practice squad players.

Although Amendola was a wonderful signing....
    I think it is a harder distinction to make than just good player/bad player.. The Giants might let these guys walk but they also have talent at those positions that they have invested more money in. I think if you pick up the *right* rejects from teams you can certainly accrue talent effectively... i would argue that is how the partiots have stayed effective, good drafting and knowing when to pick a reject or let a player walk. How many "washed up" players have the pats sign only for them to turn it on again and produce better than ever.. i can think of more than a few.