ludairv is offline Registered User

Bears interested in Atogwe??...a chicago tribune journalist thinks soo

theirs an article on national football post....(should still be on front page)....what do u guys think?,,, i think the rams should do some kind of deal that would involve atogwe and barron (either/both) for Greg Olsen.....iunno some kind of package what do u guys think???

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Re: Bears interested in Atogwe??...a chicago tribune journalist thinks soo

It appears that the Rams aren't interested in keeping Atogwe at this point. With everything that has happened in the last few days (Poole being looked at, lowest possible tender) I say signs point towards Atogwe being on his way out. If this is the case I would like the Rams to get something for him. I think Olsen is a tad bit overrated but the Rams do need a TE who can be a threat as a receiver and he will provide that.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

id love to get Olsen for either Barron or Atogwe(id like to keep him but it dont seem to be something thats gonna happen)...not sure if we can trade O.J tho..isnt he basically a free agent now,with our only rights to him being we can match any offers he gets but wont get anything in return if he departs?

is ironic that the Bears hire Martz and now they may be in line to sign a player he drafted and almost immediately put him in the doghouse.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -03-07-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I'm a little surprised how many folks seem so pessimistic about OJ. As far as I know, there have been no visits scheduled or even rumored. He's too good a player not to be even considered by the teams that need a safety. Either something is going on in a backroom with Philly or we can believe DeSpags' professed love is real & they are hashing out a deal right now. Probably made easier by the Rolle deal; now there's a current free market price point to negotiate from.

I'm even not ready to give up on Fells as the starting TE & really doubt that Da Bears would trade away one of Cutler's best targets or that they have enough dough left to sign another big FA. An uncapped year, as predicted, doesn't mean most teams are going nuts financially. The owners wanted to spend less on salaries, not more, after all.
    Giving away picks is one thing; there'll probably be a huge FA glut next year which will also keep salaries down. You can retool with young proven FAs rather than picks. Or you can have picks with probably a rookie cap in place AND money to spend in a buyer's market which is what The Rams seem to be doing. But if you trade away your picks and overspend.....
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-08-2010 at 02:41 AM.

ludairv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I'm a little surprised how many folks seem so pessimistic about OJ. As far as I know, there have been no visits scheduled or even rumored. He's too good a player not to be even considered by the teams that need a safety. Either something is going on in a backroom with Philly or we can believe DeSpags' professed love is real & they are hashing out a deal right now. Probably made easier by the Rolle deal; now there's a current free market price point to negotiate from.

I'm even not ready to give up on Fells as the starting TE & really doubt that Da Bears would trade away one of Cutler's best targets or that they have enough dough left to sign another big FA. An uncapped year, as predicted, doesn't mean most teams are going nuts financially. The owners wanted to spend less on salaries, not more, after all.
    Giving away picks is one thing; there'll probably be a huge FA glut next year which will also keep salaries down. You can retool with young proven FAs rather than picks. Or you can have picks with probably a rookie cap in place AND money to spend in a buyer's market which is what The Rams seem to be doing. But if you trade away your picks and overspend.....
    Bears Not Done: Rams' Atogwe Is On Their Radar
    Sunday, March 07, 2010
    Posted By The Trenches 7:08 PM

After locking up the top pass rusher on the market, defensive end Julius Peppers, in the opening hours of free agency, the Bears' next move could be to fortify the safety position. And, according to the Chicago Tribune, the target is Rams restricted free agent O.J. Atogwe.

Since coming into the league, Atogwe has had a hand in an NFL-leading 41 takeaways.

To acquire Atogwe, who turns 29 in June, the Bears wouldn't have to give up a draft pick as compensation since the Rams gave him a low tender offer to avoid paying him $7 million in 2010. Still, the Bears must offer Atogwe a contract structured in a way the Rams won't match.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    Bears Not Done: Rams' Atogwe Is On Their Radar
    Sunday, March 07, 2010
    Posted By The Trenches 7:08 PM

After locking up the top pass rusher on the market, defensive end Julius Peppers, in the opening hours of free agency, the Bears' next move could be to fortify the safety position. And, according to the Chicago Tribune, the target is Rams restricted free agent O.J. Atogwe.

Since coming into the league, Atogwe has had a hand in an NFL-leading 41 takeaways.

To acquire Atogwe, who turns 29 in June, the Bears wouldn't have to give up a draft pick as compensation since the Rams gave him a low tender offer to avoid paying him $7 million in 2010. Still, the Bears must offer Atogwe a contract structured in a way the Rams won't match.
    That's a report of an opinion piece by a Chicago sports columnist named Dan Pompei, not from the Bears or OJ's agent. Google it; not even worth reposting here,imo.

Bing69 is online now Registered User

I cant see Atogwe going tbh. People are always saying the nfl is a business, which it is, and we forever see players threatening to leave if they dont get the 'big' contract they want etc. So even though Atogwe has been the model professional, there is no point over paying the guy. Wait and see who is interested, see how much they are willing to pay the guy, then equal or better that offer. It makes sense

thickandthin is offline Registered User

why would we get rid of one of our best players? especially when we only have a handfull of players like him...