39thebeast is offline Registered User

Beastly draft 2.0

Free Agency
    Barry Cofield, DT, Giants- DT isn't our biggest need, but Garry Gibson is a free agent and he is barely average. Cofield is one of Spags guys and formed a dominating duo with Robbins in the past Spags would love to bring that to STL.

Rocky McCintosh, LB, Redskins
    - McCintosh is coming off a career year and would fill the huge void at WLB without the Rams having to spend a ton of money which they dont like to do on LBs. With Cofield and Robbins protecting Lauranatis and McCintosh both should have great years.

Josh Wilson, CB, Ravens
    - IMO nickel back is one of the Rams biggest defensive weakness Dockery, King, and Murphy were getting burned all year. Wilson is one of the best nickel backs in the game and could also challenge for a starting spot

Quintin Mikell, SS, Eagles- Great all around veteran safety who knows the system and spags was his secondary coach. 177 tackles 27 PBKS, 5 Ints, 1 sack, and 1 FF over the past 2 years

Draft
    1. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama- Andre Johnson without the hands. Hes got the speed, the physicality, the size and his route running has drastically improved. Although he makes he makes highlight real catches he looses concentration far too often. He is a tough kid and the epitome of the 4 pillars that's why I think he gets the nod over Blackmon who can be a diva. He instantly provides at least a deep threat, but will be a number 1 reciever.

2. Marcus Cannon, OG, TCU- Add another body guard to Sams collection. Cannon plays left tackle for TCU but will play RG here and will dramatically improve our run blocking and pass blocking at the RG spot. He is a mamoth a 6-5 350 and allows Golberg to be on the bench as a reserve because I think he gets resigned.

3. Demarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma- Shurmur is and Andy Reid disciple and if he gets more weapons on the outside he will look for an RB that is getting the same amount of touches as Steven Jackson, but higher percentage of catches and a lower percentage carries. We already saw this late in the season. IMO the Rams offense will call for a shifty speed back who can catch passes and pass protect (Not Saying S-Jax can't). Murray fits the bill and reminds me of a bigger LeSean McCoy and he has plenty of experience with Sam. This pick could also be similar guys like Jordan Toddman, Shane Vereen, or Kendal Hunter.

4. Brooks Reed, DE, Arizona- Hall had a great year and Selvie flashed at times. Spags loves his pass rusher and he will continue to draft and develop them

5. Doug Hogue, LB, Syracuse- My guess is Chamberlin and Vobora are retained on original tenders since they were both 7th round picks so they can be brought back cheaply as special teamers and depth. Hogue is about the same size as these guys but he has more sideline to sideline range and could start eventually.

7. Allen Bradford, RB, USC- Power back of the future to compliment Murray.

7. Ryan Jones, CB, Northwest Missouri State- Home State guy and a D2 All American with good size, speed, and playmaking ability. He should compete with Marquia Johnson for the 5th CB spot or go on the practice squad.
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -01-04-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Mikell addition

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Beastly draft 2.0

Really like the FA additions with none of them really expensive. Hard to figure out yet if the Rams would be in the running to sign Logan Mankins but that also would be a great addition.

Your draft looks great, it covers all needs in the right order. I don't follow college football so it's only this time of year I start to find out about the rookie class but from what I'm reading lately Blackmon seems to be ahead of Jones in the WR rankings. But if you're right about Blackmon being a bit of a diva then I'd stay away from him.

Perhaps also a safety brought in be it in the late rounds of the draft or bringing someone like Brodney Pool or Bernard Pollard in free agency. Other than that this would be a great offseason.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Good job on the free agents... josh wilson good choice.

I was really high on Jones but after watching the bowl game vs. Michigan state i would not draft him. I believe the kids name was Chris L. Rucker who was covering Jones and it appeared jones could not get anny separation so Alabama had to move Jones to the slot and he missed a huge block on a screen play that would have been a huge gain. He can run after the catch but he gets little to no separation and i dont think that will transition well in the NFL.

I like the idea of putting Goldberg on the bench. Jason Smith is a good run blocker and adding a mauler next to him with Brown in the middle could lead to many runs to the right.

Great pick in demarco Murry

Good draft overall but i think we should really get a safety i still cant get that 61 yard pass to ruvell martin out of my head what was dahl thinking?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nice job overall.

At WR, though, I wonder if you are presuming that the Rams resign Clayton? If so, Jones, Clayton, Avery and the incumbents may be sufficient. If not, I think we need another WR in the mix.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This is brilliant. Basically what I would have done myself. Fills all needs with great players. I feel like if we had this draft class next year, we could be a 10-11 win team.

I have the Rams resigning Clayton.

Dahl solid most of the season, I know alot of fans want his head after that Ruvell martin play but he has been a great special teamer has improved in coverage and is one our better tacklers. I think Spags is a fan of the guy and he also likes Darian Stewart as a reserve safety. That said I could see the Rams adding another safety probably at the expense of James Butler who has been a big disappointment. A guy I would look at is Quentin Mikkel Spags was his secondary coach he knows the system. He is good all around SS and would add a strong presence to our young secondary.

On another note after doing some further evaluation this DT class is absoloutley stacked and I will probably incorporate that in my next update. DT may be the most talented position in the draft with Nick Fairley, Marcel Dareus, Stephen Paeae, Corey Liuget, Muhammad Wilkerson, Jurrell Casey, and Drake Nevis all first round talents and some of those guys will slip to round 2.
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -01-04-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Free Agency
    Barry Cofield, DT, Giants- DT isn't our biggest need, but Garry Gibson is a free agent and he is barely average. Cofield is one of Spags guys and formed a dominating duo with Robbins in the past Spags would love to bring that to STL.

Rocky McCintosh, LB, Redskins
    - McCintosh is coming off a career year and would fill the huge void at WLB without the Rams having to spend a ton of money which they dont like to do on LBs. With Cofield and Robbins protecting Lauranatis and McCintosh both should have great years.

Josh Wilson, CB, Ravens
    - IMO nickel back is one of the Rams biggest defensive weakness Dockery, King, and Murphy were getting burned all year. Wilson is one of the best nickel backs in the game and could also challenge for a starting spot

Quintin Mikell, SS, Eagles- Great all around veteran safety who knows the system and spags was his secondary coach. 177 tackles 27 PBKS, 5 Ints, 1 sack, and 1 FF over the past 2 years
    I really like the idea of adding McIntosh and Wilson to our defense. The DL will need some retooling eventually, and I have a feeling this will be best achieved through the draft. I can take or leave Mikell.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I love the Round 1: WR and Round 2: Marcus Cannon combination.

I'm a big fan of Cannon, and I think his size would be a "big" boost for our line.

However, I'm not a huge fan of Jones. He isn't a natural WR. I don't see him making the big leaping catches like Green or Floyd or Baldwin, and his hands are suspect.

I would rather go with Floyd or Blackmon.

Besides that, all the other picks look solid.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Personally I would rather make a big splash in free agency for a "big name" wide receiver (cough, Vincent Jackson, cough) instead of using our 1st rounder on a rookie. Not sure why, but not a big fan of Julio Jones.

Other than that, great job! Filled in pretty much every area of need with some pretty talented players.

Cofield and Robbins, with Ryan and Gibson rotating in, would establish a pretty impressive interior, even if Cofield and Robbins have seen better days. I think Freddie showed its never a good idea to give up on him.

I may be reaching too much into free agency by adding a WR to the list, but hey, its just Wal-Mart money right? Thats pretty much just an endless supply I'm pretty sure.

I haven't done much research on this draft class- hey I was actually watching a competitive team this year -but instead of drafting Jones I would draft an athletic, fast, play making defensive player, if a strong safety was rated high enough that would be my preference, but we desperately need OLB with speed. Those wide open swing passes vs the seachickens still haunts my dreams.

Systemlangstaff is offline Registered User

Props @39thebest, without a doubt the best one i've seen yet.

Kroenke could make a splash by signing a guy like Vincent Jackson, but I don't think that is his style or Devaney's.

As for the guys who aren't fans of Jones, your concern is warranted when it comes to his hands. However he may be the most physically gifted wide receiver in the draft and also has the intagibles to become elite. Brandon Marshall is huge playmaker who drops some balls Jones is just as physical and big, but is faster. Jones is also a high character guy Marshall isn't. I definitely wouldn't be mad if Justin Blackmon was the selection I think Jones and him are on the same level

msha is offline Registered User

Great mock, best I've seen yet. I disagree with all the Julio haters. The kid is ripped out of his mind. Someone said he didn't have a good bowl game and was shut down as a receiver. But he had a 35 yard TD run. He just makes plays. I also agree that Goldberg is best served as our 6th O-Lineman. I've only seen TCU play Wisconsin, but their OL held up well and seems Cannon seems legit. Living in Big 12 country, Murray is a great pick as our backup to Jackson. The rest provides solid depth. God FA signings. Good job.