39thebeast is offline Registered User

Beastly Mock draft 2.0 Spags is coach!!!

1. Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    2. Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia
    3. Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
    4. (Traded for Lito Sheppard)
    5. Mike Reilly, QB, Central Washington
    6. Stryker Sulak, DE/LB, Missouri
    7. Brannan Southerlandl, FB, Georgia

UFA
    O.J. Otogwe, FS, Rams (Franchise Tag)
    Ron Bartell, CB, Rams
    James Butler, SS, Giants
    Geoff Hangartner, C, Panthers
    Duke Preston, OG, Bills
    J.J. Arrington, RB, Cardinals

RFA
    Victor Adenyanju, DE, Rams
    Derek Stanley, WR, Rams
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -01-18-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: player changes

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Beastly Mock draft 2.0 Spags is coach!!!

Eugene Monroe?!

I would rather grab Clint Sintim instead of Brian Cushing, because Clint Sintim is already a pass rushing maniac, and with him in Spag's blitzing schemes, things are going to get intense.

I think Ron Brace would be a better pick than Dorrell Scott. If we're looking for a true, space taking, physical NT, Brace would be it.

Mike Reilly is a good pick, but I like Graham Harrell more. I'm not confident we're going to get Lito, but Spag's could make it happen. If we don't get Lito, I say get Harrell. Ife we do get Lito, Reilly would be a fine choice.

Stryker Sulak is a good choice.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Good work, 39! I'm not a fan of Cushing for us; he's more of a 'tweener DE/OLB when we need a presence at MLB. Scott seems to have good size for the inside, a couple of different mid round DTs could be options there. Not sure if a fourth-round pick is going to get it done for Lito, but honestly that's probably about as high as I'd go. I'm not a huge Reilly fan, to be honest. But that's around the place I'd start looking for a developmental QB. Sulak seems unnecessary after Cushing. For McCall, how much FB has he played? I hear he's a good blocking TE, but I'll be anxious to see how he works out behind the LOS.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Eugene Monroe?!
    He's a possibility. He started at LT at Virginia even though they had Branden Albert, who was an eventual top 15 pick as a left tackle last year. Monroe's ability at LT forced Albert to play inside at guard. Some view him as a safer LT prospect than Smith. For instance, Draft Scout has Monroe ranked third overall, ahead of Smith. I certainly wouldn't rule him out at this point.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He's a possibility. He started at LT at Virginia even though they had Branden Albert, who was an eventual top 15 pick as a left tackle last year. Monroe's ability at LT forced Albert to play inside at guard. Some view him as a safer LT prospect than Smith. For instance, Draft Scout has Monroe ranked third overall, ahead of Smith. I certainly wouldn't rule him out at this point.
    True. Smith's stock is dropping further and further down. I believe he's going to be more suited to be an NFL guard than tackle.

As for Monroe, I'm not really sold on him. Here are some scouting reports about Monroe and Oher:

Oher: Uses long arms and strong hands to force rushers wide. Plays with a wide base and is very effective anchoring versus the bull rush. Occasionally mixes in a very effective cut-block. A well-proportioned OT with strong arms and hands. Outstanding lower-body strength, as well. Flashes a mean streak. Is thickly built with a wide base. Takes solid angles and wins nearly every battle once locked on. Works to sustain; drives his legs and generally gets a good surge. Range as a second-level blocker is adequate but not ideal. Shows adequate initial quickness when moving forward. Plays with adequate leverage and stays balanced. Questionable work ethic- sometimes he appears flat out dominant, other times he gets beaten by inferior opponenents.

Has started 34 consecutive games during his first three seasons (2005-'07), including the last 24 games at left tackle.

Monroe: Doesn't dominate the point of attack like should but flashes a mean streak and a powerful punch. Appears to wear down at times. Active feet and can slide with defender once he gets his hands on him. Shows a quick kick step, has a wide frame and uses long arms to ride edge rushers past the pocket. Sets up too far outside at times and can beat inside when technique isn't sound. Engulfs undersized defenders. Plays far too high and is going to have problems driving NFL defenders off the ball until learns to play lower to the ground. Takes too many false steps and can struggle to get into sound position as a result. Doesn't always take sound angles to downfield blocks but reaches the second level quickly can adjust to moving targets in space.

Monroe appeared in every game of the 2005 season seeing time at left tackle and right guard. He started six games at left tackle and appeared in all 12 games in 2006. Monroe started 10 of the 11 games he appeared in at left tackle during the 2007 season. He also missed two games two games with an injury (see durability) that year.

I agree that Monroe is a much safer pick than Smith, who is a great run-blocker, but gets beaten by speed rushing pass rushers.

Oher has more strength than Monroe, and is more durable. Monroe is more injury prone, and sometimes lacks the gear to drive opponents downfield.

I would be happy to get either one of these guys though, as they will anchor our line, and give Bulger more time to throw, and Jackson more lanes to run through.

Jason Smith from Baylor might also be another possibility.

Monroe and Jason Smith seem to be the hot names right now. Monroe has been one of the top rated senior tackles all year really, but some view the top spot of this OT class as being rather wide open. Andre Smith is still hot and viewed by many as the frontrunner prospect at OT, but I think he has some questions that are going to need to be answered (ie. better guard than tackle? can he hold up to top edge rushers? can he control his weight?).

Michael Oher reportedly had a rather inconsistent season and isn't mentioned as much in that top mix. Here's something Todd McShay wrote in early December regarding Oher...

There are times when Oher is flat-out dominant. There are other times, though, when he is beaten by a clearly inferior opponent. That inconsistency is maddening and makes it difficult for a scout to stamp Oher with a high grade. While he possesses the physical tools to warrant top-15 consideration, it will be interesting to see if he slips to the bottom half of the first round -- or beyond -- because of concerns regarding his work ethic, motor and overall toughness.
    Concerns about work ethic, consistency, and motor... sound like someone we know? I believe he's starting at RT. Remember, when he came out, Barron was initially the top OT on the board and a consideration for a high pick, but similar questions caused him to drop into the lower top 20. Not saying Oher is the same as Barron or will share his fate, but it's something to watch.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Good work, 39! I'm not a fan of Cushing for us; he's more of a 'tweener DE/OLB when we need a presence at MLB. Scott seems to have good size for the inside, a couple of different mid round DTs could be options there. Not sure if a fourth-round pick is going to get it done for Lito, but honestly that's probably about as high as I'd go. I'm not a huge Reilly fan, to be honest. But that's around the place I'd start looking for a developmental QB. Sulak seems unnecessary after Cushing. For McCall, how much FB has he played? I hear he's a good blocking TE, but I'll be anxious to see how he works out behind the LOS.

Lito is currently the eagles fourth CB, It took Baltimore their high fourth to get Fabian Washington and I think Lito could be obtained for that same price. The reason I chose Scott is in Johnson and Spagnulo scheme the DTs aren't that big it is all about penetration. Scott is a penetrator with good size. There really isn't alot at MLB unless someone falls or rises up.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Let's watch how some of these guys pan out in the end of the year games. I'm all about an OT in Round 1 and a LB in Round 2....after that, throw darts.....it's just as accurate.

By the way, Nick....with the Rams picking 2nd I might watch at least 30 minutes of draft coverage this year.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    By the way, Nick....with the Rams picking 2nd I might watch at least 30 minutes of draft coverage this year.
    Of course now that you've said it, you know I'm going to hold you to it, right?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Don't hold me to the 30 minute mark though, that grass grows really quick in Central Texas in April and that is much more exciting than who the Jaguars take in the third round.