Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Beastly Mock draft

1. Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia- Ready to be a great LT right away

2. Ron Brace, NT, Boston College- need to protect our smaller LBs and free up the rest of the d-line

3. Jasper Brinkley, MLB, South Carolina- big mean LB, Spags can develop into a Jeremiah Trotter type player

4. Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina- explosive playmaker, great hands, raw receiver, can instantly start as a returner and make a huge impact

5. Zach Potter, DE, Nebraska- 6-7 offers some versatility on the line, but will most likely be a LE

6. Joe Burnett, CB, Central Florida- good cover corner and great returner, but 40 time drops him

7. Chris Ogbonaya, RB, Texas- big powerback, great blocker, and great receiver. Could backup S-Jax

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Re: Beastly Mock draft

Nice work! Like the C.O. pick at #7, he has good hands coming out of the backfield, and is big enough for lead blocking duties as well. Has good footwork for a big back. Like the Brinkley, Tate, and Brace selections as well. (I'd take Smith if both OT's available, but would be happy with either)

Looks solid to me

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Monroe is good

Brace is good (however i would WR here)

Jasper Brinkley is a guy im just not sure about. Cuz Brinkley is a 2 down thumper at MLB and your 2nd round pick was a big run blocking NT. Just remember everthough we were horrible vs. the pass we were also bad vs. the run. Cuz if we get that NT for the run it think we should go for a balanced MLB with leadership ability kinda like Scott McKillop or Antonio Appleby in the 4th.

The WR that the Rams will take has to have some size around 6-1. Tate is under 6-0 (correct me if im wrong cuz i not 100% on his height). Also we may need a return man but i dont see going out of our way to take one. We can stick with Derek Stanley.

Not familiar with Harry Potter or any other Potter

i thought Billy D made it clear that we need to get bigger more physical i dont think a 5-9 DB fills that in Joe Burnett.

Ogbonaya is good but i'd perfer someone taller.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

I like it beast.
    But if we are going to get a MLB in round three, i would like for it to be McKillop or Beckwith because i'm not sure if brinkley can play three down's.
    He may just be a two down run stuffer.
    I love the tate pick, he returns kicks and i actually had him in the first round before the injury.
    Also no qb?
    do you think the boller signing precludes that? jw

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post

2. Ron Brace, NT, Boston College- need to protect our smaller LBs and free up the rest of the d-line

3. Jasper Brinkley, MLB, South Carolina- big mean LB, Spags can develop into a Jeremiah Trotter type player

4. Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina- explosive playmaker, great hands, raw receiver, can instantly start as a returner and make a huge impact

5. Zach Potter, DE, Nebraska- 6-7 offers some versatility on the line, but will most likely be a LE

6. Joe Burnett, CB, Central Florida- good cover corner and great returner, but 40 time drops him

7. Chris Ogbonaya, RB, Texas- big powerback, great blocker, and great receiver. Could backup S-Jax
    In all honesty this draft 1-4 looks solid & very realistic (especailly since McKillop will probally go in the 2nd round).

I feel that our 3 biggest needs right now are: OT, DT, and MLB so we've gotta draft players that can possibly start for us at these positions unless we are planning on signing someone after the June 1 cuts.

Now to pick 4: Few people realize that it was Tate and not Hicks that was N.C.'s best reciever and until Tate got hurt he was the prospect scouts had their eyes on.
    Cant' say that we need another CB but DE is a position we have to address soon with Little being his current age. Now Chris isn't a bad back, but I'm not too sure about how he can adapt to the pro game but in the 7th round why not...I'd take him.
    Last edited by ManofGod; -04-10-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Monroe is good

Brace is good (however i would WR here)

Jasper Brinkley is a guy im just not sure about. Cuz Brinkley is a 2 down thumper at MLB and your 2nd round pick was a big run blocking NT. Just remember everthough we were horrible vs. the pass we were also bad vs. the run. Cuz if we get that NT for the run it think we should go for a balanced MLB with leadership ability kinda like Scott McKillop or Antonio Appleby in the 4th.

The WR that the Rams will take has to have some size around 6-1. Tate is under 6-0 (correct me if im wrong cuz i not 100% on his height). Also we may need a return man but i dont see going out of our way to take one. We can stick with Derek Stanley.

Not familiar with Harry Potter or any other Potter

i thought Billy D made it clear that we need to get bigger more physical i dont think a 5-9 DB fills that in Joe Burnett.

Ogbonaya is good but i'd perfer someone taller.
    Are you familiar with Jeramiah Trotter, who Spags was extremely successful with as a LB coach in Phililedelphia. He reminds me alot about him, he is an intimidating pressence in the middle and that is exactly what the rams need. An intimidator affects all aspects of the game. He is also a great blitzer and perfect fit for Spags scheme, Mckillop is a 4th rounder and more a read and react guy instead of a agressive LB, Appleby is less athletic than brinkley and he is also a thumper so I don't the point there with him. Heres an example of a team going with a thumper and a big NT and made hude divdends. The Falcons went with Curtis Lofton and vet Grady Jackson in the middle and changed the culture of their defense. Lofton made a huge impact as a 2 down player and vet Keith Brooking shifted back to the middle on third downs. We could do a similar thing here with Chris Draft until next year where Brinkley can develop into a 3 down player.

How is it going out of our way, by using a 4th rounder on a guy who is the best returner in the class and also has alot of upside as a WR. you want a 6-1 guy, Tate is 6 ft even, not a huge difference. Stanley is coming of an ACL injury and he wasn't a world beating returner anyways. Kick returning is a huge part of the game and we really need a spark there.

Burnett is a great cover corner he plays big than his 5'9 frame. You aren't going to find huge corners in round 6 and its rare to find 6'4 guys like Sean Smith. If you can find a better taller corner that will be there in round 6 go right ahead.

Someone taller? If there is any position where height really doesn't matter at all its RB. Infact shorter RBs have a better center of gravity and it actually can be used to there advantage. He is 5'11 220 not small at all

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

My 4th-7th would probably look different but rounds 1-3 are the ones that matter the most. I think rounds 1-3 would be good picks that address our 3 biggest needs. They also are big players size wise for their positions which is what the FO stressed they wanted. If we went LB in the third and Brinkley is not there or not seen as the best option by the FO then I would also consider Tyrone McKenzie.
    Tyrone McKenzie SLB/MLB 6'2 243 (MLB 2006 129 tackles, SLB 2007-8 114 & 116)
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-10-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Are you familiar with Jeramiah Trotter, who Spags was extremely successful with as a LB coach in Phililedelphia. He reminds me alot about him, he is an intimidating pressence in the middle and that is exactly what the rams need. An intimidator affects all aspects of the game. He is also a great blitzer and perfect fit for Spags scheme, Mckillop is a 4th rounder and more a read and react guy instead of a agressive LB, Appleby is less athletic than brinkley and he is also a thumper so I don't the point there with him. Heres an example of a team going with a thumper and a big NT and made hude divdends. The Falcons went with Curtis Lofton and vet Grady Jackson in the middle and changed the culture of their defense. Lofton made a huge impact as a 2 down player and vet Keith Brooking shifted back to the middle on third downs. We could do a similar thing here with Chris Draft until next year where Brinkley can develop into a 3 down player.

How is it going out of our way, by using a 4th rounder on a guy who is the best returner in the class and also has alot of upside as a WR. you want a 6-1 guy, Tate is 6 ft even, not a huge difference. Stanley is coming of an ACL injury and he wasn't a world beating returner anyways. Kick returning is a huge part of the game and we really need a spark there.

Burnett is a great cover corner he plays big than his 5'9 frame. You aren't going to find huge corners in round 6 and its rare to find 6'4 guys like Sean Smith. If you can find a better taller corner that will be there in round 6 go right ahead.

Someone taller? If there is any position where height really doesn't matter at all its RB. Infact shorter RBs have a better center of gravity and it actually can be used to there advantage. He is 5'11 220 not small at all
    yeah im aware of who trotter is i use 2 live in phili before college and trotter was only a 2 yr wonder. Is he even starting now? ALso are you familiar with Antonio Pierce? Spags groomed him into a leader and he isnt a run thumper. I think a smart team leader type like McKillop would work wonders for us. Also i do know it helps to have a big NT and a MLB but our team has too many needs for us to go that route. Like a WR should be taken in the 2nd cuz our WR corps is horrible.

Well we are going out of our way to get Tate just remember he got a torn ACL/MCL that take 1 and a 1/2 years to get you 100%. So he wont start making an impact to 2010. We in a mode where we have little room for error in the draft and Tate just wont be ready for 2009.

Burnett is more of a nickelback. We already have Justin King and maybe John Wade as our nickelbacks. Also i dont think i ever wanted a CB in round 6. For round 6 and 7 are rounds where we go BPA and hope we hit.

im okay with the oga..... pick but i would perfer somone taller like Anthony Kimble. Or a short guy that is a burner like Devin Moore.

yeah im aware of who trotter is i use 2 live in phili before college and trotter was only a 2 yr wonder. Is he even starting now? ALso are you familiar with Antonio Pierce? Spags groomed him into a leader and he isnt a run thumper. I think a smart team leader type like McKillop would work wonders for us. Also i do know it helps to have a big NT and a MLB but our team has too many needs for us to go that route. Like a WR should be taken in the 2nd cuz our WR corps is horrible.

Well we are going out of our way to get Tate just remember he got a torn ACL/MCL that take 1 and a 1/2 years to get you 100%. So he wont start making an impact to 2010. We in a mode where we have little room for error in the draft and Tate just wont be ready for 2009.

Burnett is more of a nickelback. We already have Justin King and maybe John Wade as our nickelbacks. Also i dont think i ever wanted a CB in round 6. For round 6 and 7 are rounds where we go BPA and hope we hit.

im okay with the oga..... pick but i would perfer somone taller like Anthony Kimble. Or a short guy that is a burner like Devin Moore.
    Are you serious? Trotter had 2 different great tours of duty in Philedelphia, he has been an all pro Pierce hasn't. If you asked Spags which MLB between Trotter and Pierce he would take in there prime I think he would give the edge to Trotter.

We don't need an all star WR and we probably aren't looking for one. What we are looking for is ways to improve our terrible defense and running the ball. Adding another young developmental WR to the 4 we already might be overkill. Secondly why the heck not make the defense better with 2 really good players. How can we not afford to improve the terrible defense? Doesnt matter if you have a big NT taking up blocks if there is no one tackling behind him. It also doesnt matter if you have a LB who is always getting blocked by the guards becuase he doesn't have a NT protecting him.

Tate is going to be ready by the time training camp comes along. How is he an error if he is a high impact player in 2009 or even 2010 for that matter. Regardless of when he contributes if he is a great sucess thats all that matters. The Rams are probaly not a superbowl team right now, but it definately helps to develop young impact players.

You can never have enough CBs. What have Jon Wade or King done to prove they deserve that spot?

Aren't you the same guy who said Ogbonaya was short and now you want the 5-9 Devin Moore. Anthony Kimble is 6-0 and 1/4, Chris Ogbonaya is 5-11 and 3/4. Half an inch difference... come on. Height makes no difference at all in fact shorter guys have been more sucessfull. The only guys in the top ten in rushing in the nfl over 6 fett are Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson, and Ryan Grant. Most running backs are in the 5-9 to 5-11 range. You only see a few exceptions with huge guys like Steven Jackson and Brandon Jacobs

Are you serious? Trotter had 2 different great tours of duty in Philedelphia, he has been an all pro Pierce hasn't. If you asked Spags which MLB between Trotter and Pierce he would take in there prime I think he would give the edge to Trotter.
    Take Pierce and Trotter and tell me who has a Superbowl ring and who doesnt leading a defense. I know the Rams arent a superbowl team yet but arent we building to be one?

We don't need an all star WR and we probably aren't looking for one. What we are looking for is ways to improve our terrible defense and running the ball. Adding another young developmental WR to the 4 we already might be overkill. Secondly why the heck not make the defense better with 2 really good players. How can we not afford to improve the terrible defense? Doesnt matter if you have a big NT taking up blocks if there is no one tackling behind him. It also doesnt matter if you have a LB who is always getting blocked by the guards becuase he doesn't have a NT protecting him.
    The only "allstar" WR in this draft is Micheal Crabtree and maybe just maybe Jeremey Macklin. I guess we can just focus on the running game offensively and not worry about passing much lets ask the ***** how they did it. So you want to draft Tate and you say that 4 developmental WRs is overkill

WOW?!?!

Tate is going to be ready by the time training camp comes along. How is he an error if he is a high impact player in 2009 or even 2010 for that matter. Regardless of when he contributes if he is a great sucess thats all that matters. The Rams are probaly not a superbowl team right now, but it definately helps to develop young impact players.
    Yeah high impact players are never errors.

Right Charles Rogers?

Charles Rogers: Right!

You can never have enough CBs. What have Jon Wade or King done to prove they deserve that spot?
    And what has Joe Burnett done to prove he can cover NFL WRs. From what ive read on him he takes too many risks to make the play and isnt as fast as a small guy like him should be.

Aren't you the same guy who said Ogbonaya was short and now you want the 5-9 Devin Moore. Anthony Kimble is 6-0 and 1/4, Chris Ogbonaya is 5-11 and 3/4. Half an inch difference... come on. Height makes no difference at all in fact shorter guys have been more sucessfull. The only guys in the top ten in rushing in the nfl over 6 fett are Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson, and Ryan Grant. Most running backs are in the 5-9 to 5-11 range. You only see a few exceptions with huge guys like Steven Jackson and Brandon Jacobs
    Well if im not mistaken i said a guy like Devin Moore would be great cuz he is a scat back. Most of the sucessful RBs that are under 6' are scat backs. So your bringing fraction of inches into it. As a guy you should kknow a half inch matters. i just dont know how many times i got to say this thou I AM OKAY WITH OGB..... I WOULD JUST PERFER A TALLER BACK

Take Pierce and Trotter and tell me who has a Superbowl ring and who doesnt leading a defense. I know the Rams arent a superbowl team yet but arent we building to be one?

The only "allstar" WR in this draft is Micheal Crabtree and maybe just maybe Jeremey Macklin. I guess we can just focus on the running game offensively and not worry about passing much lets ask the ***** how they did it. So you want to draft Tate and you say that 4 developmental WRs is overkill

WOW?!?!

Yeah high impact players are never errors.

Right Charles Rogers?

Charles Rogers: Right!

And what has Joe Burnett done to prove he can cover NFL WRs. From what ive read on him he takes too many risks to make the play and isnt as fast as a small guy like him should be.

Well if im not mistaken i said a guy like Devin Moore would be great cuz he is a scat back. Most of the sucessful RBs that are under 6' are scat backs. So your bringing fraction of inches into it. As a guy you should kknow a half inch matters. i just dont know how many times i got to say this thou I AM OKAY WITH OGB..... I WOULD JUST PERFER A TALLER BACK
    Is it Trotters fault TO was banged up?

I'll go ask the Ravens and Titans while I'm at it they chose to go build there defense instead of going after the flashy pick the WR. Thats what Tom Coughlin and Andy Reid Spags mentors do and that's what he will do. Devaney also shares the same philosophy.

First of all Charles Rodgers has absouloutley nothing to do with what I said. Comepletely random point. Charles Rodgers was a top 5 pick not nearly the expectations as a 4th round pick. Bringing up Charles Rodgers is completely irrevelant. I'm talking about Tate was a high impact KR on an NFL team and WR with huge upside especially for a 4ht rounder. Brining up a top 5 bust like Charles rodgers does not pertain to this debate at all and is irrelevant. I never said anything about him not being an error either.

Just as much as Justin King nothing. The only difference he is a 6th rounder with lower expectations.

Oh Ok... So Landanian Tomlinson, Clinton Portis, Michael Turner, Thomas Jones, Deangelo Williams, Steve Slaton, Chris Johnson all in the top 10 rushing are all scat backs, come on you can't be serious. That inches comment was reall mature.

Is it Trotters fault TO was banged up?
    If you think WRs win championships why dont you put Crabtree as our pick?

I'll go ask the Ravens and Titans while I'm at it they chose to go build there defense instead of going after the flashy pick the WR. Thats what Tom Coughlin and Andy Reid Spags mentors do and that's what he will do. Devaney also shares the same philosophy.
    Just cuz it is higher pick that doesnt mean its a flashy pick. Also Brandon Tate is a "impact player" and i read he is cocky: thats not flashy at all right?

First of all Charles Rodgers has absouloutley nothing to do with what I said. Comepletely random point. Charles Rodgers was a top 5 pick not nearly the expectations as a 4th round pick. Bringing up Charles Rodgers is completely irrevelant. I'm talking about Tate was a high impact KR on an NFL team and WR with huge upside especially for a 4ht rounder. Brining up a top 5 bust like Charles rodgers does not pertain to this debate at all and is irrelevant. I never said anything about him not being an error either.
    The bolded stuff is all new to me. Cuz you never said he has alot of upside and you just addressed him as a high impact player (which means overall)

Here is what you said:
    How is he an error if he is a high impact player in 2009 or even 2010 for that matter
    The way you said that (you can read over and over) your saying "high impact player are not errors in general"

So let me bring up the Charles Rogers thing again. Charles Rogers is an impact player (now let me insert your line exactly like you said it) "How is he an error if he is a high impact player"

Just as much as Justin King nothing. The only difference he is a 6th rounder with lower expectations.
    So just because somone is a late round pick they dont have to prove **** cuz they dont have much expectations anyway?

Oh Ok... So Landanian Tomlinson, Clinton Portis, Michael Turner, Thomas Jones, Deangelo Williams, Steve Slaton, Chris Johnson all in the top 10 rushing are all scat backs, come on you can't be serious. That inches comment was reall mature.
    lol chill im not trying to dawg you. Loosen up a bit its a joke.

If you think WRs win championships why dont you put Crabtree as our pick?

Just cuz it is higher pick that doesnt mean its a flashy pick. Also Brandon Tate is a "impact player" and i read he is cocky: thats not flashy at all right?

The bolded stuff is all new to me. Cuz you never said he has alot of upside and you just addressed him as a high impact player (which means overall)

Here is what you said:

The way you said that (you can read over and over) your saying "high impact player are not errors in general"

So let me bring up the Charles Rogers thing again. Charles Rogers is an impact player (now let me insert your line exactly like you said it) "How is he an error if he is a high impact player"

So just because somone is a late round pick they dont have to prove **** cuz they dont have much expectations anyway?

lol chill im not trying to dawg you. Loosen up a bit its a joke.
    Where did WR winning championships come from. TO was a key cog to that teams success that year and when he was 100% the eagles were great.

You say you read this and that, but you never provide sources. Spending a higher pick on a WR regardless the player is flashier than going for a lineman in general.

No this is what I said
    "How is it going out of our way, by using a 4th rounder on a guy who is the best returner in the class and also has alot of upside as a WR."

You conveniently left out most of the quote, but thats fine. A late round pick has lower expectations and they are given more time to develop and are expected to contribute later than earlier picks. They probably feal they have more to prove and prove to themselves and others they should have been picked earlier.

You are reading what I am saying so wrong. I am talking about being an impact player when they get to the NFL not when they are in college!!!

jbell15 is offline Registered User

I've been following this arguement all day. Tantalizing. haha

Rambos is offline Registered User

Very good draft IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast