Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Beastly off season

Free Agents
    O.J. Otogwe, FS, Rams- Top 5 FS in the league lock him up

Darryl Tapp, DE, Seahawks- Anyone else remember that 3 or 4 sack performance he had against us a couple years back? Tapp is a really good pass rusher mired in a deep rotation that has Patrick Kerney. For his size it is surprising how good he is against the run and athletic enough to get a good pass rush. Wont be overly expensive and will give you bang for your buck. He will start at RE so Long can play LE

Tony Schefler, TE, Broncos- Great receiving TE he can even split out and play some WR. 6-5 great redzone target. Look at his stats he wont get as big of pay day as some think

Brandon Johnson, WLB, Bengals- 6'5 243 former DE, perfect Spags LB.

Jerious Norwood, RB, Falcons- Devaney drafted this guy because he is explosive in all aspects of the game. Because he is an excellent receiver he and S-Jax can be on the field at the same time. His injuries and inability to run inside will hold him back from getting a huge pay day, but also make him perfect for a complementary role behind S-Jax. After getting trucked by S-Jax Norwood can run by you with his 10 to 15 touches a game

Karl Paymah, CB, Vikings- Good size, good tackler, and pretty good in coverage. Could play RCB until Flethcer is healthy then move to the nickel.

Zach Strief, OT, Saints- 6'7 330 4 career starts small sampling becuase Saints are deep on the line. I think our line has improve drastically and we need some continuity to take it to the next lvl. LT Smith, LG Bell, C Brown, RG Goldberg/Setterstrom, RT Grecco/Strief.

Restricted Free Agents
    Clifton Ryan, DT, Rams (Tender)
    Craig Dahl, S, Rams (Resign)
    Mark Setterstrom, OG, Rams (Resign)

Draft

1. Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame-

Has been the best QB in college Football. Accurate with and above average arm, but what I like are the intangibles. Tough as nails, great leader, cool under pressure, and he is at his best in the 4th quarter.

2. Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame-

We need a number 1 guy why not Jimmy Clausen's favorite target right now. Alot of people would prefer a bigger guy but there is no one better when the ball is up in the air. He has the best hands in the draft and he goes up and grabs everything. Pretty good size 5-11 195 and does alot of damage after the catch. He has had only 1 game without a TD, 2 not over 100 yards receiving.

3. Vince Oghobaase, DT, Duke-

Good size 6'5 305, extremely athletic, and strong. Recorded six sacks last year, but has been banged up this year. Coming back from injury has a had a sack in the last 2 games. Perfect fit at UT in this system. A little raw, but Spags system and the heavy rotation he employs will help him develop

4. Micah Johnson, LB, Kentucky-

Big guy 6'2 258. Tackling Machine because he is verry physical and aggressive. Plays MLB now, but would eventually challenge Vobora for the SLB spot. Reminds me of Rey Mauluga without the character issues.

5. Austen Lane, DE, Murray State-

Dominating Division II right now. He has 9 sacks on the season so far and had 11 last year. 6'5 265 running a 4.65 he has Division I measurables. He will instantly get some time rotating in at end and will surprise alot of people.

5. Jeffrey Fitzgerald, DL, Kansas State-

extremely versatile an and at one point he the top 5 pick playing opposite Chris Long until he had to transfer. Looks like he is regaining form. He will eventually fill the James Hall in the rotation.

6. Nathan Overbay, TE, Eastern Washington

Big TE 6'5 270, but also a good receiver. Combines Bajema's blocking with Schefler's ability in the red zone. Coming from a small school he will be a special teamer and maybe a a 3rd TE.

7. Erick Cook, OL, New Mexico

6'6 center he can play all positions on the line. Good all around depth on the line.

7. Aaron Webster, S, Cincinnati-

Depth will compete for the 4th safety job and will be a special teamer. David Roach is a bum
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -11-12-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Changes everywhere, but top 2 picks

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Beastly off season

I like it man. It sounds like a reasonable offseason. A lot of this could actually happen.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I like drafting clausen with his WR. They already have the timing down and will make immediate impact, good choice.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i like this mock off-season the best out of the ones ive seen on the Clanram so far.

i like that you have only gone for 1 wideout as despite what it looks like now,when the off-season comes around i believe we will only need one..our numero uno.(i would prefer a F.A one personally..but with the way the salary cap is up in the air..they may not be any worthwhile wideouts available.)
    id love us to get Sheffler as i think even tho Fells has shown some good skills..he`s too inconsistent to be relied upon as our number 1 TE and getting Sheffler onboard would help our rookie QB a great deal.

i like the fact that youve gone for veterans in positions where we have some talented on the rise youngsters..instead of going for yet more youngsters like ive seen in our other mock off-seasons..well in the case of the CB,DT, & LB positions anyway.

I wouldnt call it a perfect off-season but id say its the closest to perfect yet..and closest to reality.
    i think Sheffler would be the hardest to prize away because he seems to have been a go to guy in Denver in recent weeks..but shoot McDaniels got rid of Cutler so anything can happen.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Yea it's a really nice mock off-season i liked it. But there are some moves i would like to criticize

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i think Sheffler would be the hardest to prize away because he seems to have been a go to guy in Denver in recent weeks..but shoot McDaniels got rid of Cutler so anything can happen.
    That right. How are going to get sheffler to come to St. Louis? Kyle Orton seems to like him and they need him in the red-zone.

Oh yea the biggest mistake you made is Peko is signed through 2014 with the Bengals. I remember hearing that.

Also the receiver position. I don't really understand why we would draft a WR unless it's a Calvin johnson/Larry Fitz type. We have so many young recievers that have "potential" Laurant Robinson have #1 WR potential and Gibson might too with his "potentially" reliable hands. Tate might know Clausen well but he does not know our Offense well.

At this point i dont think shurmur will stay next year. But if he does in his offense we don't need a #1. We need 2-3 reliable targets to throw too.

So if do get a receiver it might be later in the draft or through FA where will most likely overpay for someone then they will struggle in year 1 cuz we have QB issues.

Also you need to address the DT position. Cuz Peko will not hit the FA market so do you have an alternate?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Yea it's a really nice mock off-season i liked it. But there are some moves i would like to criticize

That right. How are going to get sheffler to come to St. Louis? Kyle Orton seems to like him and they need him in the red-zone.

Oh yea the biggest mistake you made is Peko is signed through 2014 with the Bengals. I remember hearing that.

Also the receiver position. I don't really understand why we would draft a WR unless it's a Calvin johnson/Larry Fitz type. We have so many young recievers that have "potential" Laurant Robinson have #1 WR potential and Gibson might too with his "potentially" reliable hands. Tate might know Clausen well but he does not know our Offense well.

At this point i dont think shurmur will stay next year. But if he does in his offense we don't need a #1. We need 2-3 reliable targets to throw too.

So if do get a receiver it might be later in the draft or through FA where will most likely overpay for someone then they will struggle in year 1 cuz we have QB issues.

Also you need to address the DT position. Cuz Peko will not hit the FA market so do you have an alternate?
    ya i realized the Peko mistake Ill fix that. Ill fix that

Well Schefler is going to be last in the pecking order with Orton, Marshall, D.J. Williams, Elvis Dumervil all FA's and they have Daniel Grahm and a rookie. McDaniel doesn't run a TE friednly offense in the first place. We could offer Schefler also offer him a good deal of money and way more targets than he has ever had in his career.

We need WR help and it is a misconception that this offense doesn't need a number 1 guy. DeSean Jackson is a number 1 guy in this offense. We definately need a WR. Robinson has never healthy and he would be a good number 2. We haven't seen anything out of Gibson. Tate may not be Fitzgerald or Johnson, but he is a Steve Smith or DeSean JAckson type of guy. A second rounder who makes an instant impact with his wide range of talents. We definately need to draft or go out in FA and get a wideout it is our biggest need IMO. In FA there are number 1 guys out there, but all are littered with character problems and I don't think Jerry Jones is letting Miles Austin go. Whatever you want to call it, but we need a consistent target at WR bigtime.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    ya i realized the Peko mistake Ill fix that. Ill fix that

Well Schefler is going to be last in the pecking order with Orton, Marshall, D.J. Williams, Elvis Dumervil all FA's and they have Daniel Grahm and a rookie. McDaniel doesn't run a TE friednly offense in the first place. We could offer Schefler also offer him a good deal of money and way more targets than he has ever had in his career.

We need WR help and it is a misconception that this offense doesn't need a number 1 guy. DeSean Jackson is a number 1 guy in this offense. We definately need a WR. Robinson has never healthy and he would be a good number 2. We haven't seen anything out of Gibson. Tate may not be Fitzgerald or Johnson, but he is a Steve Smith or DeSean JAckson type of guy. A second rounder who makes an instant impact with his wide range of talents. We definately need to draft or go out in FA and get a wideout it is our biggest need IMO. In FA there are number 1 guys out there, but all are littered with character problems and I don't think Jerry Jones is letting Miles Austin go. Whatever you want to call it, but we need a consistent target at WR bigtime.
    i still think it will be hard for us to get Sheffler but if we can it would be great.

Donnie Avery is our DeSean Jackson type player. He has big play capability. He is really fast. The reason Jackson looks better than avery is because Mcnabb can throw it deep. The eagles love going deep. A 5yrd slant is deep for shurmur. IMO we have the pieces for a solid receiving group we just need that QB that can throw deep and also have the accuracy to throw in Shurmur's short yardage no risk no reward system. We have too much young depth at WR so if we take golden tate early we need to ask these questions:

Where will Tate fit in?

Can he separate at the next level?

How much will he contribute in year 1? (is he NFL ready week 1)

Is Tate that much of a better deep threat than Avery for us to use a top 40 pick?

Who will initially throw to him? (will bulger start week 1)

Also don't you think this is a bit of reach. I mean think about it is Tate making Clausen look good or is Clausen making Tate look good. It's pretty obvious.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

i still think it will be hard for us to get Sheffler but if we can it would be great.

Donnie Avery is our DeSean Jackson type player. He has big play capability. He is really fast. The reason Jackson looks better than avery is because Mcnabb can throw it deep. The eagles love going deep. A 5yrd slant is deep for shurmur. IMO we have the pieces for a solid receiving group we just need that QB that can throw deep and also have the accuracy to throw in Shurmur's short yardage no risk no reward system. We have too much young depth at WR so if we take golden tate early we need to ask these questions:

Where will Tate fit in?

Is Tate that much of a better deep threat than Avery for us to use a top 40 pick?

Also don't you think this is a bit of reach. I mean think about it is Tate making Clausen look good or is Clausen making Tate look good. It's pretty obvious.
    I agree with alot of what your saying here, but here is my only concern. Do we really want to put alot of stock in Avery as the future of our reciever corp, I know we spent a 1st round pick on him and he's fast but this guy sure gets dinged up easy. I want to like the guy as our future go-to reciever but if he's not healthy enough to play a full season should'nt we have a plan B in place?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Your first two picks are the same as mine. Great minds think alike eh?

Where will Tate fit in?

Avery hasn't been healthy all year, he is always playing with some sort of injury if he is playing at all. Jackson is faster, has way better hands, and is an all around more explosive player. Regardless of scheme or who is throwing the ball I haven't seen anything special out of our WRs since Robinson went down. What makes you think that Burton or Avery can be go to guys. There is no diagreeing Robinson when healthy is good weapon, but he isn't healthy enough. Avery is verry one dimensional he is a deep threat with mediocre hands. If he isn't getting the deep ball he isn't doing anything. Yes we do need to take more shots down field but that doesnt change things. Avery would be better off in a complementary role as a number three guy where he could work to his strengths and get better matchups.

Thats the biggest Question for all rookie WR's. Tate is a great route runner and he has great speed he runs in the low 4.4s he will be able to separate

NFL ready I would think so, He is multi dimensional player. He is a good runner, good returner, and most importantly a great receiver. He will make an impact in at least one of those roles. Many are projecting him to win the Belintikoff Award for the best receiver in college football.

He has way better hands, is a more polished route runner, and could be just as fast. Better deep threat ya, but what really matters is how good he is in all facets on the receiving game and how he shows the tools of a true number 1 wideout.

Bulger or Claussen doesn't matter he will produce. He will produce with Claussen because they already have a strong rapport and he will produce with Bulger because he gives that extra weapon he really needs opposite Robinson, the more credible targets the better Marc is.

If you watched Notre Dame this year you would know it is not obvious at all because Tate gives Claussen a huge assist. Tate does a ton of damage after the catch and that all goes into Claussen's passing stats. Also Claussen also knows if he justs throws it up near Tate he will go up and make the play and bail him out even on the worst throws. If you watched Notre Dame's last game against Washington State. Clausen threw a hail Marry into the endzone at the end of the half and Tate just went up and caught it draped in triple coverage. He has made a ton of great catches like that for Claussen and Claussen has thrown alot of dimes. To clearly say who makes who better it would be the college version of asking the question does Randy Moss make Tom Brady better and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Your first two picks are the same as mine. Great minds think alike eh?
    Yep I would think so. I was skeptical of Tate before, but the guy has been flat out beastly all year

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Clausen gibves Tate ther recgonition he deserves, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Avery hasn't been healthy all year, he is always playing with some sort of injury if he is playing at all. Jackson is faster, has way better hands, and is an all around more explosive player. Regardless of scheme or who is throwing the ball I haven't seen anything special out of our WRs since Robinson went down. What makes you think that Burton or Avery can be go to guys. There is no diagreeing Robinson when healthy is good weapon, but he isn't healthy enough. Avery is verry one dimensional he is a deep threat with mediocre hands. If he isn't getting the deep ball he isn't doing anything. Yes we do need to take more shots down field but that doesnt change things. Avery would be better off in a complementary role as a number three guy where he could work to his strengths and get better matchups.

Thats the biggest Question for all rookie WR's. Tate is a great route runner and he has great speed he runs in the low 4.4s he will be able to separate

NFL ready I would think so, He is multi dimensional player. He is a good runner, good returner, and most importantly a great receiver. He will make an impact in at least one of those roles. Many are projecting him to win the Belintikoff Award for the best receiver in college football.

He has way better hands, is a more polished route runner, and could be just as fast. Better deep threat ya, but what really matters is how good he is in all facets on the receiving game and how he shows the tools of a true number 1 wideout.

Bulger or Claussen doesn't matter he will produce. He will produce with Claussen because they already have a strong rapport and he will produce with Bulger because he gives that extra weapon he really needs opposite Robinson, the more credible targets the better Marc is.

If you watched Notre Dame this year you would know it is not obvious at all because Tate gives Claussen a huge assist. Tate does a ton of damage after the catch and that all goes into Claussen's passing stats. Also Claussen also knows if he justs throws it up near Tate he will go up and make the play and bail him out even on the worst throws. If you watched Notre Dame's last game against Washington State. Clausen threw a hail Marry into the endzone at the end of the half and Tate just went up and caught it draped in triple coverage. He has made a ton of great catches like that for Claussen and Claussen has thrown alot of dimes. To clearly say who makes who better it would be the college version of asking the question does Randy Moss make Tom Brady better and vice versa.
    But by drafting Tate we are basically throwing away another 2nd round pick. And Avery also does some good thing after the catch (if he doesnt fumble). The thing is we have a Tate like receiver in avery. Yes Tate is probably a way better version. But i think we should get a WR type we dont have. SOmeone like Eric Decker out of minnesota? The guy has better size than tate. Extremely reliable hands. Goes over the middle very well. Nice Red zone target. ANd does something that Tate really cant and that is block better than most TEs. Decker will help Action Jackson in the run game and help Shurmur in his 3yrd throws or his "no risk no reward" offense. Decker is a better route runner and he more NFL ready

So shouldnt we try to get something we dont have instead of getting something we maybe have?

And yes i do watch Notre Dame games. ANd not just the recent ones. if you watched the 1st three games Tate was not the #1 guy. It was Micheal Floyd. 13rec-5TD. That guy was a beast. Clausen is just making Tate look good cuz clausen puts the ball in a place where only his guy can catch it and tate is a playmaker so of course he will make those plays in college.

But by drafting Tate we are basically throwing away another 2nd round pick. And Avery also does some good thing after the catch (if he doesnt fumble). The thing is we have a Tate like receiver in avery. Yes Tate is probably a way better version. But i think we should get a WR type we dont have. SOmeone like Eric Decker out of minnesota? The guy has better size than tate. Extremely reliable hands. Goes over the middle very well. Nice Red zone target. ANd does something that Tate really cant and that is block better than most TEs. Decker will help Action Jackson in the run game and help Shurmur in his 3yrd throws or his "no risk no reward" offense. Decker is a better route runner and he more NFL ready

So shouldnt we try to get something we dont have instead of getting something we maybe have?

And yes i do watch Notre Dame games. ANd not just the recent ones. if you watched the 1st three games Tate was not the #1 guy. It was Micheal Floyd. 13rec-5TD. That guy was a beast. Clausen is just making Tate look good cuz clausen puts the ball in a place where only his guy can catch it and tate is a playmaker so of course he will make those plays in college.
    You said it yourself Tate is a way better version, so what is the point of going with a futile option when we can get something way better and more productive. Tate is already well versed in a pro style NFL route tree. What do we need a number 1 reciver or a blocker. Is decker a number 1 guy? IMO no. He is a good player and would be a great complementary second guy, but we have Robinson for that spot and maybe Avery. To me he is Kevin Walter.

Tate is a number 1 receiver and I specifically put him there because I think he would be the best WR available. I see Dez Bryant, Damion Williams, and Brandon LaFell all going in the first. If one of those bigger guys drop I would love to have them, but I don't see that happening. I think we will have a chance to get big athletic freaks like Demaryius Thomas and Arrelious Benn, but they are nowhere near as polished as Tate and we need a guy who will contribute right off the bat. Thomas only runs play action fly routes and Benn doesn't really run routes he is like a RB playing WR and is very raw. Tate on the other hand can run the full NFL route tree the only other guy in this draft you can truly say that with is Damian Williams. To guys you can compare him 2 are both Steve Smith of the Giants and Steve Smith of the Panthers. He has the hands, leaping ability, and playmaking ability of the Panther version and the route running of the Giant version. You don't have to be 6'3 guy to be a successful number 1 guy. Just ask both Steve Smiths, DeSean Jackson, Lee Evans, Greg Jennings, Santonio Holmes and Satana Moss. People complain about the size of our receiving core but Avery and Amendola are our only guys under 6 feet and they are both 5'11.

I don't think you are watching the games very closely Tate has been the clear cut number 1 guy for the past 2 years. Ask any Notre Dame fan, coach or player. ya Floyd had 13 catches, but Tate had 19 and 2 less touchdowns .

Well my whole point is Tate is the total package when it comes to being a number 1 reciever. Avery isn't and I think we can agree there.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Im not going to agree or disagree. I just think the name Golden Tate sounds like a jewish porn star.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast