Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By shower beers

Thread: Benefits of a Smart Center in Jones

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Benefits of a Smart Center in Jones

The center is the guy making the blocking calls, trying to keep his quesrtback upright, so in a complicated spread offense, as the Rams seem to be trending toward, having a really smart, great tactician is a must.

The Greatest show had it with Andy McCollum, and in 1999 Mike Gruttdauria, both bad body guys with lots of intangibles and smarts.

In Barrett Jones, the Rams certainly have it in spades, and add amazing toughness and versatility to that resume, along with terrific experience against the best competition in college football.

Everyone likes to compare draft picks to present players, and one needs ony to look at Matt Birk to see what kind of future Barrett Jones could have. Birk, out of Harvard, is no adonis, but he is one of the smartest NFL players, which is why he has made six pro bowl appearances in his long career.

Jones is an inch taller than Birk, so he could actually end up bigger than Birk when he fills out.

It's kind of funny that everyone had Jeff Fisher turning the Rams into Titans West, with a power running game, and a concentration on defense.

Instead, Fisher remembers what the Rams 1999-2001 teams were able to do in that dome, on that turf.

The same kind of offense that is a must to win outdoors on grass, is the absolute worst to use indoors on turf, plys, almost all Super Bowls are not played in bad weather, on grass.

It shows how smart a head coach Fiser is, because he is combining his ability to build a great defense, with a new high powered offense that takes advantage, finally, of the venue.

Teams like Seattle and San Francisco make it very difficult to drive methodically down the field and score, so if you want to beat them, you have to hit them with some big plays when they blitz, and now the Rams can do just that.

The first time the opposition blitzes, and Bradford dumps a little rainbow to Tavon Austin, with just one or two defenders to beat, and lots of open space, just was Warner used to do with Bruce, Hakim, Holt and Faulk, fans will see what I am saying here, and wow will it be fun again in that dome.

If teams lay back, as they had to against the Greatest Show, Bradford, with a good line in place, and two good TE, good receiving RB, and all those talented WR, with shred them like a surgeon.

As the Rams really get to the top of the NFL, in a year or two at most, maybe sooner, since we all remember 1999, getting a new stadium built will be far easier, with the economy far better as well than the last six years.

Win or lose, sooner or later, fans are going to enjoy watching this new offense grow together, perhaps adding even more weapons and better blockers in 2014 and 2015.

And St. Louis fans don't have to give up that top 10 defense they have longed for since the Rams came to town, one Fisher could have playing as a poor man's Fearsome Foursome.

And did I mention that suddenly we have our own big time return threat. TEams will be trying to kick out of bounds on fourth downs, and that means better field position for the Rams all the time. If they do punt it to Austin, it's at their own risk.

Barry Waller

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Benefits of a Smart Center in Jones

It's kind of funny that everyone had Jeff Fisher turning the Rams into Titans West, with a power running game, and a concentration on defense.
    I know I did, I really wanted Fisher despite the fact he would run first and have a boring offensive. Boy was I wrong! That said I'm still not convinced that Schotty will know what to do with all this speed. I can't wait until he proves me wrong!
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

When the Rams' fourth round selection rolled around and Philip Thomas was still on the board, I was hoping the Rams would pull the trigger to pair him with McDonald at safety for the long haul. But when they selected Jones, I was just as pleased. Simply put, he is a great pick and I envision him earning a starting spot within the next couple of seasons, and not letting go of it easily.
    mde8352gorams and ZiaRam like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    When the Rams' fourth round selection rolled around and Philip Thomas was still on the board, I was hoping the Rams would pull the trigger to pair him with McDonald at safety for the long haul. But when they selected Jones, I was just as pleased. Simply put, he is a great pick and I envision him earning a starting spot within the next couple of seasons, and not letting go of it easily.
    Me too. I actually forgot Jones was still on the board as I just assumed he was already selected. I was naturally elated to see him as our choice.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

The center is like the catcher in baseball. He set's the blocking schemes and helps the QB get the play going. I'm thrilled we got Jones. Fisher likes smart players and Jones is one of them. I also hope we are able to reduce our o-line penalties that killed so many drives for us last season.

Go Rams!