RamsFan16 Guest

Bennett in St. Louis

Friday, 03/02/07

Bennett in St. Louis

By PAUL KUHARSKY
    Staff Writer

Free agent receiver Drew Bennett is in St. Louis and could consummate a deal with the Rams before the day is over.

Bennett was the Titans leading receiver in 2006 with 46 catches for 737 yards and three touchdowns.

Signed as an undrafted rookie in 2001 out of UCLA he ranks eighth on the Titans franchise career list in yardage (4,033) and ninth in receptions (273).

In a weak free agent class of receivers hes considered by many to be the best available at the position.

Even if they could re-sign Bennett the Titans would be looking for help.

Their second leading receiver form last season, Bobby Wade, is also a free agent.

Free agency began today.

Reach Paul Kuharsky at 615 259-8024 or pkuharsky@tennessean.com.
    I really hope we do sign this man.

Drew Guest

Re: Bennett in St. Louis

he`d be a nice pick up to play 3rd WR,brings something a lil different to the table than Bruce & Holt !

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

He has the size that we have been lacking and would really compliment Holt and Bruce perfectly.Would be a great pick-up..:l

BIG GAME 81 Guest

Wow, this would be a great Addition. A big Red Zone target. I know a lot of people like Curtis and so do I but I think this would work beeter for us. Having a big body in the slot would be great and at age 28 has a lot of football left.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

i was just going to post this too... wow i believe this would help us immensely in the red zone...

viper is offline Registered User

I like his size and how that could add to our passing game. He could turn out to be Bruce's successor some day. I do think we need to be careful how we spend our cap dollars though. Do you guys think this would make sense from that perspective? Any idea what he might cost?

BIG GAME 81 Guest

Hard to say what he would cost but they should try and get it done before Kevin Curtis or Stallworth sign for big money, that way they can't be used as leverage. Also, with Bruce having 2 years left on his contract, I would load up Bennet's deal on the back end that way if Bruce is gone is 2-3 years and Bennet would be making number 2 money and still work good with the cap.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I think that this would be an excellent successor for our #3 and probable #2 man. We definately need to get him signed soon though so that he can't use the big money that other WR's are going to get against us. Considering that we have been known to have the deepest/most talented WR pool for a while I think it's important for us to continue the tradition.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'm not sure how much I'd pay him. I'd prefer to see us re-trial Looker and maybe a late round rookie, and look for a young guy next year, be it early in the draft or in Free Agency. Future goggles are on, people.

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I'm not sure how much I'd pay him. I'd prefer to see us re-trial Looker and maybe a late round rookie, and look for a young guy next year, be it early in the draft or in Free Agency. Future goggles are on, people.
    i tend to agree with this, i am not sure spending our extra cap money on a receiver makes much sense,lets spend it on fixing the problems we have on defense.

keith m. klink Guest

i still believe that the receivers we have, that are staying, is a good mixand that we can get a great receiver in the second round who will take bruces place in a few years. i don't see a problem with Looker , Thompson and Hagen as our 3rd through 5th receivers, and a 2nd round rookie being brought in. if we use rd 1-3-4 for defense, and the 5th for a rb, and 6th-7th for O-line help, we would be just fine. i like bennet, but everyone is saying he is the best on the market, not in the whole league. someone will give him masive money and i hope that it is not us. if we could broker a god , fair deal , i say sure, but just so you understand. curtis was only going to get #3 money from us, why would a starter( bennet) take #3 money to come here.EXACTLY, he wouldn't, so we would have to pay him big money# 2 or even #1 money. so why wouldn't we just have sweetened the deal for curtis. its not that simple just to say hey, bennet is coming and everything is gonna be peachy.he is gonna cost, so why not use what we have and draft a great kid with an upside that will be here for years. ( bruce was a 2nd rder). this draft is deep, so let's be smart and use it.

Country Guest

Why would he come to St. Louis to be a back up when he starts for any other team?

BIG GAME 81 Guest

One reason he would come is to build the market value for himself. You make a good point he would see more time on another team so maybe he just creating interest. Same thing with Banta-Cain. Notice how all other teams are pulling the trigger to get guys and get better but we just sit back. I mean of all the Free Agents on Defense we bring in Banta-Cain and we have 25 million in cap space. Some times you gotta take a chance on guys.