Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Falconator Guest

Re: Bernie: 50% chance Dorsey, 25% chance Long

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Thank God someone agrees with me.

With all the Dorsey craze, I honestly think we're just trying to get Atlanta to budge.
    don't think Atlanta will budge.........if Falcons were on the verge of the playoffs or superbowl, maybe it would be worth it - but right now the Atlanta Falcons need players - lots and lots and lots of them. If Falcons don't trade up they have

4 picks in first 48
    7 picks in first 103

Thomas Dimitroff/Falcons want this draft to make a huge impact. The more players drafted(and drafted well) - the better the Falcons will be. Granted, Glen Dorsey is a very special player - but Falcons should get a special player at #3 no matter what.....either that or trade it into two players

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Saints | Team looking to trade up for McKelvin
    Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:41:28 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports the New Orleans Saints are looking to trade up for Troy CB Leodis McKelvin. The Saints worked McKelvin out Tuesday, April 22, and came away very impressed. The Saints are afraid the New England Patriots or Baltimore Ravens will get McKelvin, so they are looking to move up from No. 10 overall in the 2008 NFL Draft.
    Falcons | Team looking to trade down, still want McKelvin
    Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:43:13 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons are looking to move down in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft, but they would still like to select Troy CB Leodis McKelvin.
    interesting reports there, probably an attempt by both teams to get the Rams to lower their asking price if true.
    The Saints and Falcons could definitely use a corner. However he obviously cannot be picked by both teams, and he is more likely to go near the Saints pick than the Falcons

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

“You rate your board, but positional need is pretty important with the needs we have,” Linehan said. “We have some pretty critical needs. What’s great is to be able to take that player and it just so happens to fill a big need for you as well. That’s the great thing about the guys we have on the board up there that we will be picking early. They are both. I guess that’s why we are so excited about who is on our board now.”
    When Linehan says that, it doesn't look like he is talking up Dorsey is he? So this could be a smokescreen for Chris Long. The Rams have done a great job of not letting us know what they are doing. I prefer Dorsey, but I would be very happy if Chris is the pick.

WhinerFan Guest

Just throwing my two cents in here but. . .

As a fan of an opposing team in the same division, here is what I would least like to see St. Louis do:

1)Trade down (there just isn't any player at #2 worth the $28 million or so in guaranteed money that will be given to this pick)

2)Dorsey (he is the best player on the board, and is most definitely a team need)

3)Chris Long (solid player who will never be a star, but fills an immediate need and starts for a long time in the NFL. Pass-rushers are very thin in this draft, and there may not be another opportunity to get a good DE)

4)Jake Long (same as above, but with the depth at OL this year, why use a top pick on a RT?)

5)Gholston (special player with great athleticism and pass-rush ABILITY, but doesn't seem incredibly motivated to pursue/stop the run. Boom or bust candidate not worthy of the huge up-fron investment, when you consider both Joey Porter and Adalius Thomas got closer to $20 million guaranteed on the open market)

The bottom line from where I'm sitting is this: Linehan will not be around next year, and the Rams are a couple years off from being contenders. It will be better to get talented players for the long term of the team than hope to win with Linehan this year. I also do not buy the argument (much espoused) that the Rams do not need a DT like Dorsey, or that moving Carriker to DE would be a disaster. Wherever Carriker is played, a good rush up the middle can only help the pass rush in general, and the more players a team has to double-team/get help on the more likely another DL or blitzing LB busts up the play.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

dad gum it, a whinerfan with smarts. If that isn't an oxymoron I don't know what is.

WhinerFan Guest

LOL. Touche!

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I would also like to point out when Jake Long entered negotiations with the Dolphins, almost everyone in the media and fans in general, including myself, thought it was a smokescreen to get Chris or Vernon to agree to the pick for less money. Instead, he was the one they targeted all along. If the Rams are talking up Dorsey, and they can conceivably do so since they have control, why wouldn't they?
    Last edited by Bald_81; -04-23-2008 at 08:07 PM.

Wow, if the Rams pull this off and get Dorsey.....some on this board will cry bloody heck but that's very good if they do. Normally, the general consensus is wrong and that means Deveany will be doing his job.

Dorsey is a game changer. You don't pass that up just because you need something else. If we had a Sapp look alike already there then that would be different. However, we have a tweener in Carriker, a 5th round pick in Ryan who showed potential but I'm not sold there yet and mainly Glover who gets an AARP card around the same time I do. This would instill faith in me that the Front Office is getting smarter.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tx
    Normally, the general consensus is wrong
    It's these philosophical pearls that keep me coming back. Tx, amigo.........where in the world do you come up with this stuff?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post

Just don't ask me if I saw their board.

I can't comment.

--B
    Has it occurred to anyone else that in the context of his own message, this is (to be blunt) completely stupid?

Don't you think that if Dorsey really is the player that the Rams are targeting, then his post should read;

"100% Glenn Dorsey"- especially if the FO and coaching staff are as unfiied as he says they are.

and b)

Who in the world actually shows a local sportswriter their draft board three days before the draft??? Just how gullible does he think he are? Or he's portraying Linehan to be?

"Hi, Scott, It's Bernie M- ever considered giving your old pal a squiz at your draft board? Pinky Promise I won't create any internet rumours or anything..."

"Oh, sure, Bernie, no worries".

This is no more than speculative BS.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There is another possibility.

Maybe Bernie has invented an invisibility potion that allows him to skulk around Rams Park undetected so he can spy on the Rams draft board.

I can see it now...

Devaney: "What was that?"

Linehan: "What?"

Devaney: "That sound. Kind of like... a hippo wearing pennyloafers walking on his toes."

Linehan: "Hmmm... must have missed it."

Haslett: "Hey guys. What's that smell? Did someone spill a jar of Hidden Valley bacon ranch dressing?"

Linehan: "Um... no."

Devaney: "There's that sound again."

Haslett: "Hmmm... the smell is gone."

Devaney: "Okay. Back to work. Let's get rid of this decoy draft board and take out the real one."

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    dad gum it, a whinerfan with smarts. If that isn't an oxymoron I don't know what is.

Mexican food?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    It's these philosophical pearls that keep me coming back. Tx, amigo.........where in the world do you come up with this stuff?
    It's an old gamblers theory. Ask ten people who they think will win, or will select in this scenario, and go against the general population. More times than not, the GP is wrong.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

I think the Rams actually do want Dorsey "IF" they have to sign a player with the #2 pick. Both Dorsey and Jake Long were worth the money at this pick. I think the strategy is, if they can't trade down a spot, then take Dorsey and sign a "Sapp-like" DT to a big deal. If the Falcons bite, and do trade up, then the Rams are prepared to sign Chris Long at #3, because he fills the need and is worth a #3 contract. (or potentially still Dorsey, if he's available at #3).

I personally would like to see Dorsey for the reasons Whinerfan stated. Filling a need with Chris Long doesn't solve our long term plans. Take the most talented guy out there. We are short on talent, and are long on "high motor overachievers".

I would take Dorsey or even McFadden from that perspective.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    It's an old gamblers theory. Ask ten people who they think will win, or will select in this scenario, and go against the general population. More times than not, the GP is wrong.
    So what happens if you ask 10 old gamblers who will win?

Are they all wrong and therefore right? Or are they right therefore wrong?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast