Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Bernie Bytes: Holmgren whines about Rams ..

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie Bytes: Holmgren whines about Rams ..

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You're not considering all the pertinent factors.

First, it may very well be that the Rams viewed this as a time-is-of-the-essence scenario. They did not wish for a multi-round negotiation to continue into the Free Agency period, when other options would present themselves to the bidders.
    This is key IMO. Snead announced he wanted it done Thursday, it was achieved. He wanted it done before teams had an opportunity to fulfill their needs via free agency. Just guessing but I'd bet the fact he was getting interest from a known high bidder in Snyder was a major factor in how it was handled. Snyder likes to offer massive contract numbers that nobody else is willing to come close with. If you know he does this all the time, why give him an out? Open bidding would have been an out.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    As someone that participates in auctions for a living, it is a very rare event where one round of bidding results in the best result for a seller. It happens, but its rare.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    This was not an auction. For whatever reasons, Snead and Fish specifically elected not to go there. This was a "sealed bid" situation. Could they have received more if they played teams against one another? We will never know for sure I suppose. We may even have gotten more this way, with teams knowing they would not get another chance .. Best offer period !! I think we did pretty well. Now we have to make sure we draft gems - guys who make the team and contribute sooner than later, or it won't matter how many picks we received, or who we traded with ..

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I think it was a strategic time to pull the trigger on the trade. RG3's stock was as high as its going to be coming off the combine, and free agency had yet to begin. It was Washington and Cleveland's only shot to be guaranteed to get the QB they wanted. And for the Rams, it was the only time where those teams were guaranteed to still need a QB (before FA began). I think the outcome reflects that the strategy worked.

Although now that free agency is underway and the chips are falling the way they are, it would have been interesting to see what we would have fetched now. I'd be willing to bet that Cleveland would have coughed up a couple more picks if they knew they were going to be SOL the way they are now. They have no choice but to stick with Colt or reach for Tannehill.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

This is what I posted 6 days ago on another thread.

Thats a rap! To bad Browns. If RGIII turns out to be a superstar in the NFL. Browns GM Mike Holgren gets fired for not making trade.

Sounds like he is covering his A$$ already.

If everybody remembers at that time the speculation was Browns did not want to give up pick number twenty-two. Holmgrem knows he screwed up.
    I don't think there offer was even close to Redskins. He just trying to save face.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

As a Rams fan all I care about is that the Rams get the best deal possible. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of Rams fans would agree with that.

I really don't care too much that Snead be considered a straight shooting golden boy when it comes to deal making. What I prefer is someone that has enough tact and knowledge to approach this thing in a manner that gets the Rams the absolute best deal.

Did we get the best deal possible? After reading this thread, I'm not so sure. However, it is all said and done at this point.

Now what I am hoping for is that all this posturing has landed us not only a great, but also, the best of the two QBs in the years to come.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

To give Holmgren the benefit of the doubt here, I wonder if he did offer essentially the same package but with the second of their first round picks this year instead of one of the future year picks. I could see the Rams debating whether future Redskins first round picks would be higher than 22nd. Alternatively, Holmgren might be using a value chart that rates picks from this year higher than future picks and have offered what he perceived to be a comparable deal based on that valuation, but the Rams did not. If he really wants to prove it, he'd need to come out and tell us what deal he had put on the table before the Rams accepted the Redskins' offer.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Of course, Holmgren's implication is that the Rams would accept less from the Redskins merely because of personal relationships. That's patently absurd.
    Rambos likes this.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    To give Holmgren the benefit of the doubt here, I wonder if he did offer essentially the same package but with the second of their first round picks this year instead of one of the future year picks. I could see the Rams debating whether future Redskins first round picks would be higher than 22nd. Alternatively, Holmgren might be using a value chart that rates picks from this year higher than future picks and have offered what he perceived to be a comparable deal based on that valuation, but the Rams did not. If he really wants to prove it, he'd need to come out and tell us what deal he had put on the table before the Rams accepted the Redskins' offer.
    I could be wrong but I would imagine that the Rams would prefer a #22 pick this year than a future first rounder. This is a deep draft and the #4 pick would put the Rams in the drivers seat with Blackmon/Richardson/Claiborne. If the Browns submitted the same (or nearly same) package, it would be idiotic to think or suggest that the Rams would take a lower pick for any reason at all, like Holmgren is doing..he can shove it. If his years with the Seahawks didn't make you dislike him I'm sure this will.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

With the bids starting at 3 first rounders, I would've let all the teams involved outbid each other openly (so everybody knows the other's bid) for 1 full hour.

At the end of that hour, I would've asked for everybody's final offer.

If there's a tie between two or more teams, (and of course there'll be a tie.......because I said so Holgren) those teams will be allowed 10 minutes to strengthen there bids.

Strengthening bids could include pro-bowl caliber player compensation, more draft picks (preferrably 1st and 2nd rounders), or trading for Jason Smith and opening about 100 million in cap space for me. Or you could simply offer to pay Sam Bradford's contract in full so he has no cap number for the duration of the contract.

At the end of those 10 minutes I will again ask for final bids, and this step will continue until there's a winner.

The key is to keep everything open to all teams involved, so nobody's crying at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-17-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    RAMarkable and ZiaRam like this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

We could beat this horse all off season and never agree on the right way to "auction" this pick. The only important thing is that Les set the rules, stuck to them, and the Redskins won. Doesn't matter if we agree with those rules or not. He could have put a picture of RG3 at the top of a greased pole and made both owners fight to reach the top first for all I care. The Browns lost and the Walrus is crying foul to save face because he didn't have the balls to make a bold offer. Love him or hate him, Snyder does, and how he has his QB.
    MauiRam likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Cleveland Browns general manager Tom Heckert acknowledged Thursday that he has had talks with the St. Louis Rams about the No. 2 overall pick, but he wouldn't classify them as "serious."

Heckert called all the speculation about a possible trade with St. Louis preliminary and labeled media reports as "crazy." He also said it's possible the Browns might hold onto their first pick.
    I guess Cleveland should have been a bit more serious. They have only themselves to blame for trying to play games with a franchise affecting decision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12