Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Bernie rants on the draft

Post subject: Draft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm kind of ambivalent about this year's draft, to be candid with you.

As a fan and a journalist -- the draft has become a turn off to me.

Too much hype, too much posing by so-called experts and way too many draftniks talking gibberish and wasting time on trivial matters. It just about destroys talk radio for me at this time of the year; as soon as I hear a draft-related interview coming on, I switch to music.

The Rams really like J. Brown, the big and nasty RT.

I hope they draft him.

Other than that, they are looking hard at DBs early.

I plan to be at Busch Stadium on Saturday for Mark Mulder vs. Roger Clemens. I will only go to Rams Park for Saturday's action if forced to do so by editors.

I will go to Rams Park on Sunday to write a real draft follow-up column. By then, Rams Park will be cleared of all the hangers on, posers, wannabes, green flies, media cheerleaders. For legit media folks, there's no peace, no room, no quiet.

I want to do everything possible to avoid Rams Park on Saturday -- to me, it's the worst day on the sports-media calendar in STL. My calendar, anyway. The Rams put on a lavish spread for the media -- the food keeps coming all day long -- and it's embarrassing to see so many "media" out there, shoveling it in as if they hadn't had a decent meal in weeks. It's pathetic.

It's also amazing how an organization that can't even work or try to provide solid access to players for interviews during the season becomes Santa Claus with the free food on draft day.

Obviously, I'd make an exception if the Rams had one of the early picks, or multiple picks in the first round....in that case there's more news, and more is at stake.

But they're going to draft a guy at No. 19 and Armey and Martz will talk about how they can't believe the guy was still there, and how he was No. 1 on the Rams board, and it's a miracle, and he'll be a Pro Bowl player....and just about everyone out there (media) will take the bait and write and talk about how wonderful a pick it was.

When in fact we won't even have a clue about the dude's value or true quality for a year or two or maybe three.

ll take Mulder vs. Clemens.

Cheers,
    Bernie

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bernie rants on the draft

Quote Originally Posted by BernieMrarse
    I'm kind of ambivalent about this year's draft, to be candid with you.
    Well, I'd hate to think you'd hold back.

As a fan and a journalist
    Since when are you either?

-- the draft has become a turn off to me.
    Bernie turn-ons: long walks in the rain; sad songs; tapioca pudding enemas.

Too much hype, too much posing by so-called experts and way too many draftniks talking gibberish and wasting time on trivial matters.
    Yeah, if anyone is going to express hype, posing, pseudo-expertise, gibberish and time wasting on trivial matters, its going to be Bernie!

It just about destroys talk radio for me at this time of the year; as soon as I hear a draft-related interview coming on, I switch to music.
    All Julio Inglesias, all the time!

The Rams really like J. Brown, the big and nasty RT.
    Well... duh!

I hope they draft him.
    How profound an analysis.

Other than that, they are looking hard at DBs early.
    You think?

I plan to be at Busch Stadium on Saturday for Mark Mulder vs. Roger Clemens. I will only go to Rams Park for Saturday's action if forced to do so by editors.
    Hello? Bernie's editors? He asked me to tell you he really wants to cover the draft.

I will go to Rams Park on Sunday to write a real draft follow-up column.
    Well sure, its easy to do a mock after the draft!

By then, Rams Park will be cleared of all the hangers on, posers, wannabes, green flies, media cheerleaders. For legit media folks, there's no peace, no room, no quiet.
    Do you know any legit media folk?

I want to do everything possible to avoid Rams Park on Saturday -- to me, it's the worst day on the sports-media calendar in STL. My calendar, anyway. The Rams put on a lavish spread for the media -- the food keeps coming all day long -- and it's embarrassing to see so many "media" out there, shoveling it in as if they hadn't had a decent meal in weeks. It's pathetic.
    Aw... is someone stealing you hot pockets and pizza rolls?

It's also amazing how an organization that can't even work or try to provide solid access to players for interviews during the season becomes Santa Claus with the free food on draft day.
    Did you ever think it might just be you?

Obviously, I'd make an exception if the Rams had one of the early picks, or multiple picks in the first round....in that case there's more news, and more is at stake.
    Right, because only players taken in the top 10 picks ever make a difference.

But they're going to draft a guy at No. 19 and Armey and Martz will talk about how they can't believe the guy was still there, and how he was No. 1 on the Rams board, and it's a miracle, and he'll be a Pro Bowl player....and just about everyone out there (media) will take the bait and write and talk about how wonderful a pick it was.
    Kind of puts a damper on your post-draft "Hey fans, don't get too excited" article, huh? (by the way, have you finished writing it with just a few "fill in the name" blanks?)

When in fact we won't even have a clue about the dude's value or true quality for a year or two or maybe three.
    Unless, of course, he's the rookie of the year.

ll take Mulder vs. Clemens.
    We'll miss you... not!

Cheers,
    Bernie
    Do you have a drinking problem?

On a more serious note, do you ever think Bernie stops to think about how many of his readers are hard-working people who toil in jobs they don't particularly like, look at Rams football as a needed source of respite, and would give a week's pay to have the opportunity that Bernie so willingly spits upon?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BM
    As a fan and a journalist -- the draft has become a turn off to me.
    BM, if as a "fan and a journalist" you can't get excited about the only day of the year where college football meets pro football, then you need to find a new hobby and career.
    Too much hype, too much posing by so-called experts and way too many draftniks talking gibberish and wasting time on trivial matters.
    Yea, I'm glad you're above and beyond all that crap. So as the ultimate knowledge master of the Rams universe, what is YOUR take on the draft...
    The Rams really like J. Brown, the big and nasty RT. I hope they draft him. Other than that, they are looking hard at DBs early.
    ...are you joking? All your infinite wisdom and that's all you got. My 5-year-old niece, who is more interested in Barbie dolls and Sponge Bob than anything football related, told me the exact same thing 3 months ago. You have had all this time to dig through every "inside source" you have from Rams Park to your ivory tower, and that is the best you could come up with?

You know what BM, maybe you should go catch that Mulder/Clemens match-up.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    My 5-year-old niece, who is more interested in Barbie dolls and Sponge Bob than anything football related, told me the exact same thing 3 months ago.
    ROTFLMAO. Thanks for the morning laugh, HU!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

tapioca pudding enemas
    I perfer yogurt myself. :tongue:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey