Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bernie's Dumbest Comment, or... why Les Snead should not read Bernie's columns.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Bernie's Dumbest Comment, or... why Les Snead should not read Bernie's columns.

Bernie just published a column about the draft in which he makes this comment:

am utterly baffled by Snead’s position of telling everyone who wants to listen – including executives from other teams – that Bradford is the Rams’ locked-in starter and BFF and the team has no interest in using the No. 2 chip on a quarterback.
    This makes no sense. Why show your hand? Goodness, you’d think Snead would know that. He was hired by Rams owner Silent Stanley Kroenke — who has never shown his hand on, well, anything.

Snead should be using an opposite tactic here.

Snead should go to Bradford and say this:

“Look, there is no way we’re drafting a quarterback second overall. You have my word. But I need to drum up some bidness. So I’m going to leak something to one of these NFL pundits, tell ‘em I’m danged serious about going for a QB at No. 2. I have to get some teams to throw offers at me, so I can get some extra draft picks and put a better team around you.”

And then Snead should, in fact, begin a whispering campaign ...

Sources say the Rams are fainting over Johnny Football!

Insiders tell us that Rams now see Bridgewater as the bridge to the Super Bowl!

Sources say the Rams are blown away by Bortles and they gotta have him!
    While I'm sure that false rumors about the Rams' intentions with the No. 2 pick would be good for Bernie and other tabloid sportswriters, it makes no sense for the Rams.

Why?

Because of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Let me explain.

Houston, as we know, picks first. Most presume that they will either take a QB or Jadaveon Clowney. Once Houston makes its selection (which could happen before draft day), the remaining teams that wish to select a QB will have to line up for the top prospects.

Bernie's premise is that, if everyone knows that the Rams are NOT going to take a QB, there will be no reason to trade up to the No. 2 spot.

In fact, that premise is only true for one team: Jacksonville. The Jaguars could, in fact, simply allow the Rams to make their pick, and then select the top QB on their board at No. 3.

Bernie's premise is NOT accurate, though, for EVERY OTHER TEAM LOOKING TO DRAFT A QB.

The reason is obvious, all other teams (from Cleveland at No. 4 and beyond) will have to JUMP OVER JACKSONVILLE if they wish to ensure that they will be able to obtain the QB they want. That means that they will have to deal with... you guessed it... the Rams!

So, no... I don't want Les Snead to send out "we're thinking of a QB" smokescreens. Its entirely unnecessary (whether he might consider sending out a smokescreen regarding Clowney is a different matter entirely).

So, Bernie... here's a suggestion.

You continue writing your little blog, and let Les Snead take care of running the Rams.

M'kay?

BernieM is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie's Dumbest Comment, or... why Les Snead should not read Bernie's columns.

As usual, you don't know what you're talking about.

I've made comments that were way dumber than that one.
    r8rh8rmike and sosa39rams like this.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie's Dumbest Comment, or... why Les Snead should not read Bernie's columns.

Bernie is obviously on to something here. When Fisher and Snead came to the Rams they immediately stated that Bradford was their quarterback. History shows that they were then unable to trade the pick for a ridiculous bounty and ended up drafting Justin Blackmon at number 2.

I'm pretty sure that's correct.
    FestusRam likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

While he is at it he should tell Phil Hellmuth, Johnny Chan and Chris Moneymaker how to play poker.

RAMSY57 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Bernie is obviously on to something here. When Fisher and Snead came to the Rams they immediately stated that Bradford was their quarterback. History shows that they were then unable to trade the pick for a ridiculous bounty and ended up drafting Justin Blackmon at number 2.

I'm pretty sure that's correct.
    Well I think it's pretty obvious that Bradford is no longer their man! Cripes, the Rams played just as well if not better with Clementine at the helm. Forget about a smoke screen it's time to draft a QB!!!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMSY57 View Post
    Well I think it's pretty obvious that Bradford is no longer their man! Cripes, the Rams played just as well if not better with Clementine at the helm. Forget about a smoke screen it's time to draft a QB!!!
    It's obvious that Bradford is no longer THEIR man? Based on what? Your personal assessment?

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It's obvious that Bradford is no longer THEIR man? Based on what? Your personal assessment?
    Come on Mike it's based on Clemens played just as well. His 8 TDs and 7 INTs coupled with 5 fumbles was right there with Sams 14 TDs and 4 INT 2 Fumbles. Simple math man get with it.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Come on Mike it's based on Clemens played just as well. His 8 TDs and 7 INTs coupled with 5 fumbles was right there with Sams 14 TDs and 4 INT 2 Fumbles. Simple math man get with it.
    Well, I guess it is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Well, I guess it is obvious.
    Well it should be...

Clemens projected 16 games
    2974 Yards
    14 TDs
    12 INTs

Bradford projected 16 games
    3824 Yards
    32 TDs
    9 INTs
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Bernie Bernie Bernie....

You do realize that even if we tell everyone we're sticking with Bradford, they still have to worry about other teams that might leapfrog them for a QB, right? I'd rather the prospective teams know we're set at QB so they can draft their business plan for moving up to #2.

Not to mention, nobody wants to deal with the controversy of Snead commenting that he's looking elsewhere at QB. Sounds like a nightmare..

You're thinking too hard again...

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    In fact, that premise is only true for one team: Jacksonville. The Jaguars could, in fact, simply allow the Rams to make their pick, and then select the top QB on their board at No. 3.
    Jacksonville does have to worry about a team leapfrogging them though. So, in all reality, no QB needy team is safe where they are, other than the Texans.
    AvengerRam likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Jacksonville does have to worry about a team leapfrogging them though. So, in all reality, no QB needy team is safe where they are, other than the Texans.
    Excellent point. So the list of teams that we know won't trade for the Rams' pick is:

Houston

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Excellent point. So the list of teams that we know won't trade for the Rams' pick is:

Houston
    Exactly.

So, with that in mind, wouldn't it make sense to let other teams know you are satisfied with your current QB? Doing this allows other teams to plan for a possible trade up. Even if the Texans trade down and someone acquires a QB with the #1 pick, there will still be a lot of value at #2(Clowney, QBs still on the board). Same goes if Clowney is picked first. If Clowney goes first than any team can trade up and grab their favorite QB of this years draft. What I'm getting at is that no matter what happens with the first pick, I'm sure they'll be a few buyers once we're on the clock.

Now, what's the point of the smoke screens? That won't impact the value of the #2 pick at the end of the day.

Drz
    Drz is offline Registered User

This is mostly a non-issue. The benefits to both ways are very minor.

Yes, Bernie is correct in that saying they're sticking with Bradford tips their hand, but the impact is exceedingly minor. Even #3 Jacksonville still may need to trade with St. Louis, because it's not like they can sit there and be sure that no one else will trade with us at #2. They may have to beat someone else's offer.

But, there is some value in being honest with teams. Like FestusRam said, it eliminates controversy and distractions. It also builds a small amount of goodwill... other teams would rather deal with teams that have a history of demonstrated trust.

So bottom line, small pluses and minuses for both sides, and ultimately, it's a wash.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I'm with Bernie in that, there was absolutely no reason to tip your hand in the first place.

It may not matter with the 2nd pick, but who's to say it won't matter at 13, or somewhere else in the draft?

The idea is to be as unpredictable as possible, going into the draft, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast