15 39.47%
  • Jon Alston, OLB, Stanford

2 5.26%
  • Dominique Byrd, TE, USC

1 2.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Best Draft pick of Day 1

Who do you think was the best pick of day one for rams?
    Last edited by RamsFan4ever; -04-29-2006 at 09:27 PM.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Best Draft pick of Day 1

Tye Hill He should be arriving in St. Louis soon.

www.tyehill.net
    RamsFan16

Rip32 is offline Registered User

Jon Alston will be a starter and a star

cool he has his own website

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I love Alston & what he brings to the game with his attitude & speed

Breaking NEWS!!!!...... one more addition to pole but i dont know how to add if you like Dominique Byrd, TE, USC please say so thanks!!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The KLOPF is The MAN!

Bryd isnt getting any love..... :-(........ but hes a great player

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Some might be a bit irked at getting Byrd and Klop, but you won't be in end zone situations.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    Some might be a bit irked at getting Byrd and Klop, but you won't be in end zone situations.
    So I suppose you can change your avatar of Vernon Davis

Just kidding. Yea we will be very dangerous in the redzone. What are you going to do? Cover Holt, Bruce, Jackson, Byrd or Klopenstein.
    RamsFan16

RealRam is offline Registered User

After 'further review', my favorite player from the Rams selections today is, LB Jon Alston.

JON ALSTON: "NEVER SETTLE"

By: Todd Taylor
    ColtPower.com
    Date: Apr 18, 2006

Stanford linebacker Jon Alston provides an incredible balance of talent, intelligence and focus that will serve him well in the NFL. Whoever calls his name on the first day of the draft is going to have one of the truly great players from this year's class.

During his career at Stanford, outside linebacker Jon Alston saved his best for last. Throughout his junior and senior years with the Cardinals, Alston accumulated; 113 tackles, 16 sacks, 23.5 tackles for a loss and caused six fumbles.

Since the end of the 2005 college football season, things have only gotten better for Alston. He was one of the only players to participate in both the Senior Bowl and the East/West Shrine Game. He then made jaws drop at the NFL combine after running a 4.40 forty-yard dash (the fastest time among linebackers), leaping for a 40-inch vertical jump and bench-pressing 225 pounds 30 times. But Alston had a little extra help on his side for his performance at the Combine.

“I hadn’t expected to jump as well as I did with the 11-foot broad jump and it was actually a 41-inch vertical, but they miscalculated it -- and it went down in the books as 40. But the funny story is, my mother, she prayed over my baby shoes that I would be the fastest linebacker at the Combine the night before I ran. I was very blessed to be the fastest linebacker at the Combine this year, so I was really thankful for that. I had thought that I would do well, but I didn’t think I’d do as well as I did do,” he said.

Alston’s Combine performance impressed scouts and vaulted him up numerous mock draft boards. At 6’1, 223 pounds, Alston’s blazing speed, ball-hawking abilities and pass rushing skills are distinguishing attributes that have also caught the eye of many NFL scouts. Some NFL teams are even considering using him at the safety position based on his physical frame and coverage skills. This is an idea Alston has no problem with.

“Several teams have expressed interest in doing that with me [switching him to safety]. I’ve actually had several workouts with teams coming in and checking to see how I move and whether or not I could make that transition. I think I’ve done well in all those workouts, so honestly on draft day I don’t know what position I’ll be drafted as, but I’ll play wherever they ask me to play,” he said.

Alston is used to playing different positions. He began his high school career as a safety, switched to linebacker and wide receiver as a junior and then played running back, linebacker and defensive tackle his senior year.

“Actually one game my junior year, I played FS, CB, DT, LB and WR in the same game, so I moved around a lot,” he said.

As defensive speed becomes more of a necessity in the NFL, the value of a player like Alston will likely continue to rise. “I feel like there are a lot of systems that emphasize speed from the OLB position that I could be successful in,” Alston said.

Alston’s refreshing attitude will be an asset for any NFL coaching staff. He believes in being a football player “24/7,” by avoiding late nights out drinking and getting to bed on time. That way of life is also an extension of his upbringing and the close family ties he maintains today.

“My aunt and cousin, who I consider my brother, went to every single game over the last two years, home and away,” he said. “They work blue-collar jobs with the post office but they sacrifice and make time to be there for me. Something like that – you couldn’t ask for more.”

Alston also inspires himself with a motto that he applies to all aspects of his life.

”Never Settle.”

”I think that a person should never settle and should do the best they can do,” he explained. “For me as a football player, I strive to be a great player, to be a part of a great team and something great because I believe I have the physical gifts to do it, the mind to do it, so why not do it? Why settle for not doing my best? If God gives you gifts you’ve got to use them, right? I think that’s something that you can apply to anything in your life.”

While some players who are passionate about the game of football scream and go into a rage before a game, Alston prefers meditation and visualization to get ready. His dedication to the team concept is apparent in the reasons he gives for loving the game of football.

“Man, there are so many things that I love about the game of football. I think it’s a combination of everything. The thing I really love is that you can bring so many different types of people from so many different places together and work together for one common goal. To me, there are few things in the world that are comparable to that. My sophomore year in high school I played on a team that had eight shutouts. It was amazing that every time we were on the field we trusted every single one of those guys. We were like brothers. That season alone taught me so much about life and football. I strive to get that feeling every year because it’s something I can’t get anywhere else. And also, being able to run around and smack people as hard as you can…that’s fun too,” he said.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Smile Re: Best Draft pick of Day 1

I'm with Real Ram! Jon Alston

224 lbs rock that runs 4.40, bench press 30 reps, has a 40+
    vertical coupled with a good attitude and Smarts.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    So I suppose you can change your avatar of Vernon Davis

Just kidding. Yea we will be very dangerous in the redzone. What are you going to do? Cover Holt, Bruce, Jackson, Byrd or Klopenstein.
    Never!!! Haha, yea I will change it sooner or later.

You got the jist of it (more than I did actually).

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

It's got to be Claude Wroten. First round talent, the ability to rush the passer and stop the run. He dominated at LSU and should be a great player beside Jimmy Kennedy in the next few seasons.

With Pickett walking, I couldnt think of a better player to step in.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Its a Tie right now....... Hill and Wroten!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast