AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Best and Worst Martz Draft Choices

Here is my Top 5 and Bottom 5 Mike Martz draft choices since he became head coach in 2000, taking into account each player's productivity, apparent potential and the stage of the draft in which each player was selected.

Top 5 Martz Draft Choices

1. Pisa Tinoisamoa (2nd Round, 2003)
    Pisa has provided first round value as a second round pick. He has been a starter since day one, and among the Rams' leading tacklers and defensive playmakers since he was drafted. Will be the subject of an experiment next year moving him to SS.

2. Steven Jackson (1st Round, 2004)
    As a rookie, Jackson showed the ability to take over for future Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk as the starting tailback. In addition to averaging 5 yards per carry, he also was an effective blocker on pass plays, an essential role for a Ram running back. Some (not me, necessarily) are concerned about his durability, but he'll get his chance to prove them wrong as the starter in 2005.

3. Jeremetrius Butler (5th Round, 2001)
    Though Butler is hardly a star, he has demonstrated the ability to be an effective starter at one of the toughest positions in football. Excellent value for a fifth round draft choice.

4. Travis Fisher (2nd Round, 2002)
    Fisher was a small college find. Some consided him a reach in the second round, but it is rare to find his combination of speed and toughness at the CB spot. He has proved to be a good value pick.

5. Kevin Curtis (3rd Round, 2003)
    After injuries caused him to get off to a slow start, Curtis began breaking out with his performance at the end of last season and in the playoffs. He could be a starter on many teams, and that's high praise for a third round pick who has been stuck behind two Pro Bowl players.

Honorable Mention:
    Tony Hargrove (3rd Round, 2004) - in two or three years, he could be at the top of this list.
    Chris Massey (7th Round, 2002) - a fixture at the important long-snapper spot.
    Brian Young (5th Round, 2000) - had several productive years with Rams as late round choice.

Bottom 5 Martz Draft Choices

1. Jacoby Shepard (2nd Round, 2000)
    Second round pick was considered a reach on draft day, and never played a productive down for the Rams. The worst of the worst.

2. Milton Wynn (4th Round, 2001)
    Fourth round picks don't always contribute, but Wynn didn't even make the team. Rams ignored warning signs with Wynn and wasted a pick on a player who shouldn't have been drafted in any round.

3. Eric Crouch (3rd Round, 2002)
    You might ask why I consider Wynn worse than Crouch? Well, at least with Crouch, there was some basis to think that he was an elite athlete who could contribute to the team. He did win the Heisman Trophy, after all, and there have been QBs who have made it as WRs (look at Antuan Randal-El, for example). Still, a very bad pick.

4. Trung Canidate (1st Round, 2000)
    Some might have Trung at the top of the list, but I have him only at number 4 because (a) his development was hindered to some extent by playing behind Marshall in his prime and (b) he at least had that good game against the Jets and brought the Rams a draft choice when traded.

5. Travis Scott (4th Round, 2002)
    Okay, so maybe this guy could have played had he not been injured. We'll never know. But I'm pretty certain the Rams could have had him in the 7th round or as an undrafted FA. Just because you like a guy, doesn't mean you take him in the 4th round.

Dishonorable Mention:
    Brian Allen (3rd Round, 2001) - still in the league despite inability to make it with Rams.
    Kaulana Noa (4th Round, 2000) - developmental player never developed.
    Steve Bellisari (6th Round, 2002) - at least he only cost a 6th round pick.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Best and Worst Martz Draft Choices

I basically agree with all, except perhaps shift the rankings around a bit...

However, there is one bust that is not 100% official yet, but I think warrants being on this list, because he was a first round draft pick:

Robert Thomas.

True, he went near the end of the first round, but some of your 4th round busts were gambles that didn't work out. You shouldn't be gambling on your 1st rounder.

I just HOPE that since his true position is at OLB that he will show improvement next year.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Thomas clearly has been a big disappointment overall, but he has had some productive moments as well. Also, there is at least some hope that he can turn things around by being shifted to outside LB and playing next to a bigger MLB.

He could, though, just as easily move into the bottom 5 in the next year or two.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Good Job, Mike!
    1. Pisa 2nd - a steal in the middle of the 2nd, he's the only life on a lackluster D
    2. Curtis 3rd - should have gone in the 2nd, in fact I'm suprised Martz didn't go with him in Pisa's spot
    3. Tercero 6th - a solid performer that could have easily gone in the 4th
    4. Butler 5th - a contributor and top corner while Fisher was hurt, not a star, but better than a 5th round pick
    5. Massey 7th - Burger King kitchens are littered with 7th round picks. Massey won't be one of them.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod