Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ventesette is offline Registered User

Re: Big Ben trade for 1rst OA pick

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Hell No. Roethlisberger is one of those second tier "franchise" quarterbacks. His success or failure is very much predicated on the parts surrounding him as opposed to his personal skills. When you combine that with his paucity of brain cells (for both natural and head trauma reasons), we should not unload the pick for him.
    I wouldn't do this deal either, but what parts surrounding him caused his success? The Steelers seem to be going out of their way to get him killed.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Let's add one more "Hell, no!" to the list. If we had the Steelers defense, then we could get away with having a quarterback like Big Ben. Well, at least when he's not in court or breaking his face getting in helmetless motorcycle accidents.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ventesette View Post
    I wouldn't do this deal either, but what parts surrounding him caused his success? The Steelers seem to be going out of their way to get him killed.
    Are you talking about the sacks and QB knockdowns? Those are more a function of Roethlisberger never giving up on a play and therefore hanging on to the football far longer than is necessary or practical. He has had a very good defense, decent wideouts, and a good running game to play with, and that has lead to his on field success.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

I agree also that I wouldn't give up a 1st.. but you people make it sound like he is a terrible player.. and if that's your arguement your welcome to it.. but you all must watch a different nfl then I do.. yeah ben does hold on to the ball too long and get hit.. and then shakes off the defender and throws the ball for a 30 yard gain.. Too old....I think he will be 28 going into this season... of course I head people saying jackson was to old when people on the board wanted us to trade to get Mcfadden in the draft so I guess I shouldn't be suprised. If you don't like him, then you don't but atleast make a realistic arguement...

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Big Ben +Suh + Benn = a far better team than Bradford. We are in the worst division in the NFL. We need a winning mentality, I'm afraid to many fans are getting a Detroit, be better in 5 years, attitude. I'm not saying this is the right move, I'm just saying let's not forget we can win next year.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TylerBishop View Post
    Big Ben +Suh + Benn = a far better team than Bradford. We are in the worst division in the NFL. We need a winning mentality, I'm afraid to many fans are getting a Detroit, be better in 5 years, attitude. I'm not saying this is the right move, I'm just saying let's not forget we can win next year.
    And how do you propose we draft Suh if we deal our first for him? I seriously doubt he only costs a second, since that what the going rate of QB's who have never played before seems to be, never-the-less a two time superbowl champ.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Im not saying he's a terrible player, im saying he is terrible for two first rounders. Add his off the field issues, his questionable leadership, and the fact that he has always had a good team around him, i tihnk he's slightly overrated. I'd rather get 2 young promising 22 year old first rounders with upside than a guy who in about 3 years with the amount of abuse he's taken is going to start declining physically. that's what i meant about too old. To make myself clear i wouldn't make that deal for peyton manning. Unless he could erase 10 years off of himself, then, yes i would make that deal.

The thing is Tyler. If we made that trade. We wouldn't be able to get Suh. Benn has stone hands and has failed to produce, not really getting the hype on him. I'd take Bradford and Gresham (whom we could probably get instead of your pick, Benn) over just Big Ben anyday.

We'd have no first rounders for two years and just a Big Ben and Little Benn. Big Ben is likely to get suspended. So we'd essentially have just Big Ben for a few less games.

That's definetely not the only way we can win next year, and im one of the few optimist on here it seems that believe we CAN win next year. You don't sell the house for a trip to the playoffs one year. I for one want a consistent winner.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

^ I agree in building a program with more than a win once mentality, I just think that the conservative approach has killed many programs for years.

I had heard rumors that we could get Big Ben for our 2nd (and some players), or this years 2nd and next years 1st. If this is not the case we are better off in other circumstances.

As I stated before I don't know if it would even be the right move, I just don't like when everyone dumps an idea that could benefit the organization immediately because they have some long, far off vision of un-drafted, unproven players developing a team.

Let's face it no matter how good our draft is this year. We will be lucky to have 3 players make any kind of an impact next year. Look at our past 10.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

This teams complete lack of interest in FA this year is confusing. Last year everyone agreed we have NO talent on this team, yet we will start 2010 with basically the SAME roster if not worse. Despite what the Rams say there ARE/WERE FAs that could have helped us be competitive this year that wouldnt have broke the rebuilding mold. I mean 1-15 and all we need to sign is depth BS!!!!!!!!!

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Id love for you to tell me some of the FAs Dave. Lets not add the 30 year old guys who would have cost us an arm and a leg to sign. Who exactly are you refering to?

We had an aggressive plan, but the NFL shatted on all the teams. Noone was available who made much sense to sign. You just don't shell out contracts for old big name guys, just because of their name. You assume they would have come in here and made a big impact anyway, which they would have had to, given the money they will get.

Just because you THINK a guy will come in and help doesn't mean he will. You do not have as much inside information on players as our FO has. You also don't know what's going on behind the scenes, as well as the competition from 31 other teams on FAs.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by dave626 View Post
    This teams complete lack of interest in FA this year is confusing.
    Not when you consider 200+ of them were taken off the market due to altered RFA status.

As for Big Ben, I'll pass if the asking price is two first round picks. I'd consider it for a lesser package, though I agree with whoever brought up the punishment he's already taken thus far in his career. I wonder if the beatings he's taken behind a sub par line and because he holds onto the ball have cut a few years off the backside of his career.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

I'm with you guys about the FA's... if the NFL didn't take the road it took I think our FA work this off season would be different. All the Big name FA's are getting up there, and while they may still be good most probably won't live up to there contracts. Some of the cases like Bolden to the Ravens will be good for them but that's because they are only a player or 2 away from the big dance.. we have to take a different approach because we have a lot more spots that need talent.. If we go nUts this year then next year were broke and in the same boat as this year.. Lets just see where the draft takes us for now folks

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

All these Roethlisberger rumors...

Yeah Pittsburgh...here's a deal I'd be into:

Ben Roethlisberger
    1st round pick this year
    2nd round pick this year
    1st round pick next year

For

The first overall pick AKA Sam Bradford

In all seriousness, these RUMORS linking us to the Steelers are insane...but that's a deal i would take

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Re: All these Roethlisberger rumors...

i think it would probably take a deal like that from pitt considering their 1st are not going to be top 10 but rather 20's

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Smh......in a word: NO!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast