View Poll Results: Would you be for/against cutting Long and drafting Clowney?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

2 6.67%
  • Against

28 93.33%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: BIG hypothetical move. Would you be for it?

FestusRam is online now Registered User

BIG hypothetical move. Would you be for it?

With Long's contract taking a solid leap next year, I think cutting him if he refuses to restructure is a possibility. I know Long has been one of the only bright spots for the Rams for a long time now, but it's obvious his play has declined this year. He's been a liability against the run and average at best against the pass. I like Long, but I honestly don't think he's worth the money we owe him in the future.

I personally would take an edge rush of Quinn and Clowney plus Longs extra cap space to sign another FA, rather than Long and his remaining contract.

How about you?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: BIG hypothetical move. Would you be for it?

I wouldn't cut Chris. We could very easily trade him. I'm willing to bet he's worth at LEAST a 2nd round pick, maybe even a little more. There are a lot of desperate teams in need of a pass rusher (Falcons, Bears, Jaguars, Titans, Raiders, Vikings, and Buccaneers). I'm sure all of those teams would be interested, especially the Jags, Bucs, and Falcons.

So no, I would not cut Chris. I would totally be for trading Long for a 2nd and some change and then draft Clowney. Clowney is one of the best prospects in many years and will be a terror in the NFL. Quinn and Clowney would be down right unfair. I have Clowney higher than I had Luck and Suh, and they were upper echelon.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I am so against this I wish I could vote 100 times.

First of all, Long is far better than average against the pass, and hardly a liabilty against the run. He is a guy who has averaged over 8 sacks/year, and has consistently been among league leaders in QB pressures.

Your statement that his play has declined this year is simply wrong. The only number that is down is his sack total, which may actually be lower due to the fact that Robert Quinn sometimes beats him to the QB.

Yes, his cap number is high, but Clowney is an unknown commodity. I could easily rattle off a list of "can't miss" DEs who did not pan out. Even if Clowney becomes a great player, I'd MUCH rather have a top prospect at another position (Matthews, Watkins, Nix) AND still retain Long.

Sorry, but...

RealRam and lostsoul like this.

As to Sosa's suggestion of a trade, I'm still voting "no."

Long is a team leader. We talk a lot about how this team needs fire, discipline, unity and veteran leadership. Clowney, though talented, does not strike me as someone who would take those reins.

We have enough "draft capital" as it is. We don't need to be dipping into our core to get even younger at positions where we are already set.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I am so against this I wish I could vote 100 times.

First of all, Long is far better than average against the pass, and hardly a liabilty against the run. He is a guy who has averaged over 8 sacks/year, and has consistently been among league leaders in QB pressures.

Your statement that his play has declined this year is simply wrong. The only number that is down is his sack total, which may actually be lower due to the fact that Robert Quinn sometimes beats him to the QB.

Yes, his cap number is high, but Clowney is an unknown commodity. I could easily rattle off a list of "can't miss" DEs who did not pan out. Even if Clowney becomes a great player, I'd MUCH rather have a top prospect at another position (Matthews, Watkins, Nix) AND still retain Long.

Sorry, but...

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it a horrible idea.

And when you say that his only stat that is down is sacks, what other stat matters? Did you forget why we gave him a huge contract? He's never been a tackling machine. Pressures are cool and all if sacks are coming with them. He is currently tied for 35th in sacks this year, which is what I would consider AVERAGE. Not to mention, all the attention has been shifted towards Quinn this year. He should be raking. Against the run, we've seen him either blast up field almost every play or get blocked by tight ends a lot this year. "Hardly a liability" is wrong. He's a liability against the run. I'm not out for Long, I've just seen his poor performance this year.

We've seen his ceiling so I don't see it getting much better as he gets older.

Don't get me wrong, I like Long as a player, but I don't think he's worth the amount we owe him in the future. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it a horrible idea.
    Of course it does. You're not new here. You should know that by now.

And when you say that his only stat that is down is sacks, what other stat matters?
    That's such a narrow way to evaluate a player.

Let me give you a hypothetical. QB goes back to pass. Long beats his man. QB pulls down the ball, evades Long, but is then tackled 1 yard behind the line of scrimmage by DT who had been blocked to a standstill by an OG.

Who's responsible for blowing up the play? Long
    Who gets the credit for the sack? The DT.

Pressures are cool and all if sacks are coming with them.
    Or if it causes an incompletion on 3rd and 5, or an interception, or forces the QB to run for a short gain rather than hitting an open receiver, or...

He is currently tied for 35th in sacks this year, which is what I would consider AVERAGE.
    Jadeveon Clowney is tied for 281st in Division I-A with 3 sacks. What would you consider that?

"Hardly a liability" is wrong. He's a liability against the run. I'm not out for Long, I've just seen his poor performance this year.
    Just because you say it, does not make it so. Long is on pace for 41 tackles, which is good for a DE.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I agree with Michael Bolton on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree with Michael Bolton on this one.
    Call him "Mike."

I also agree with Samir Naga... Naga... NagacutChrisLong, that's for sure!
    Rambos and Nick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

That's such a narrow way to evaluate a player.

I've watched pretty much every game Longs ever played for the Rams, I really don't need any other stats from a DE perspective to give me insight on what kind of player he. He's a high motor guy with good talent who will get to the QB at all costs. He's never been a run stuffer, but that's fine when he's piling up sacks and pressures. But he's not this year. I haven't seen nearly as many pressures this year from Long. I haven't seen him push to many tackles into QBs making them step up into a DT. Hes got one of the biggest contracts on the team AND he's the DE getting the one on one match-ups and he's still not getting the job done.

Do you really not think he's having I down year this year? I think he is based on stats and game tape. From what I read his contract jumps to 13mil in 2014. I don't think his play this year warrants that much of our cap space.

Let me be clear. I'm not in love with Clowney or anything. He's got a lot of potential, but he's definitely taken this year off. However, he's still the top DE in the draft and we have two high picks so I thought he was perfect for this hypothetical situation.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I'm going to take the middle of the road on this one. There is little to no doubt that Chris Long has had an off year this year. However, having said that this actually is not all that uncommon for a lot of players.

I've heard some talk like he may be injured. I remember him taking some time off during training camp and it seems I also heard he was excused from several practices during the regular season. Maybe he is still injured in some capacity. IDK but I hope it is something that can fixed, at least by next year.

So, having said all that I am not agreeing that he should be traded or cut at this time.

And, I'm willing to give him a chance to get back to his usual form next year.

But, the fact remains that at his salary level he needs to produce at a much higher level than he has this year.

Chris is a stand up kind of guy. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he would agree that he needs to improve his production on the field next year.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I wouldn't cut Chris. We could very easily trade him. I'm willing to bet he's worth at LEAST a 2nd round pick, maybe even a little more. There are a lot of desperate teams in need of a pass rusher (Falcons, Bears, Jaguars, Titans, Raiders, Vikings, and Buccaneers). I'm sure all of those teams would be interested, especially the Jags, Bucs, and Falcons.

So no, I would not cut Chris. I would totally be for trading Long for a 2nd and some change and then draft Clowney. Clowney is one of the best prospects in many years and will be a terror in the NFL. Quinn and Clowney would be down right unfair. I have Clowney higher than I had Luck and Suh, and they were upper echelon.
    I'm not sure anyone would want to take on his contract and give away DPs at the same time.

Rambos is online now Registered User

St. Louis Rams 2014 Salary Cap

Chris Long
    Cap Number $14,700,000 Dead Money $17,700,000 Cap Savings ($3,000,000)

Not sure how this would save us money if we cut him. It would be a good idea to redo his deal.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, the easy comment here for me is, AV has sacked the idea!

No, seriously, it may be an interesting possibility but I'll pass on the move.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I have been a member of ClanRams since 2007 and since then I've seen some "out there where the buses don't run" ideas, but this has to be one of the furthest out there that I've seen.

Festus, do you really think we should sever Chris Long from this team? Either via trade or outright cut/waiver strikes me as shocking. I fully admit Clowney has great upside potential and will be a force in this league for some time, barring injury. But even you admit that he's taken this year off. Chris Long may not have the year he's had in the past, but I don't ever recall reading or hearing a football analyst say "Chris took the game off". Just for that work ethic alone give me 100 Chris Longs to start a team with.

I know this is a business and you're only as good as your last game, but that is not how Jeff Fisher operates. He will stand by Chris as long as necessary, because Chris leaves nothing on the field after a game. Now as for restructuring, really. We just extended Chris and JLau last year. How do you see that conversation going? "Chris you had a somewhat down year, we need to cut your pay." Well good luck ever trying to attract another Free Agent to the Rams if that happens.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and Festus, you certainly have many good posts, but I cannot see this notion going anywhere. I know I sound angry, but dammit I'm still trying unscrew myself from the ceiling!

Go Rams!
    Randart likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast