throwback week

View Poll Results: Would you be for/against cutting Long and drafting Clowney?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

2 6.67%
  • Against

28 93.33%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: BIG hypothetical move. Would you be for it?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: BIG hypothetical move. Would you be for it?

"It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings." Looks like she just finished the lyrics for the Spooky opera!

See previous post.
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-12-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: See previous post

Mikey is offline Registered User

I can't understand how we could consider cutting a good player. It's not as if this roster is filled with talent that other teams are beating down the doors trying to trade for our roster. We have glaring holes in many spots on this team so people seem to want to draft people in the few spots were we're actually good(I'm not attacking you OP there are a lot of people that do this and sorry not just on this Rams site). So instead of wanting to elevate areas of need we want to keep DE as a strong point for our roster. Chris is a leader of this team(one of the few) and a damned good player.

The only thing they could possibly do is to try to trade him. Get something in return. The cap hit for cutting him would kill us salary cap wise for years. Not to mention if they wanted to get rid of him why even sign him last year to this contract.

citr92 is offline Registered User

WHY would the rams trade long for a guy that doesn't put in the work...no....just no

the rams could just draft a guy and keep long...doi

i also wouldn't feel comfortable with a guy who drives around at 110 MPH...
    Last edited by citr92; -12-12-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

For a second, let's ignore that it makes very little sense (IMO) to cut/trade away a defensive leader who was just signed to a $60 million extension less than two years ago.

I think what I dislike the most about this idea is the suggestion that you replace Chris Long with someone who, while he has a lot of natural talent and ability, appears to have the character and work ethic of a turnip.

I don't think Chris Long is going anywhere. Maybe there's a slim chance the Rams draft Clowney thinking that doing so frees them up from breaking the bank re-signing Quinn, whom they'd trade away instead, but I think that'd be a poor decision if they go that way as well.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This would definitely be risky, which is why I don't see it happening. I could see Fisher drafting Clowney and KEEPING Long, having a vicious 3 way rotation for at least 1 year, and THEN potentially trading Long. The only reason I wouldn't trade Long is because he is a leader of this team. Every game, do you know who is in the middle of the huddle trying to get the guys ready for war? Chris Long. He's spiritually and emotionally the leader of not only the d-line, but the team, which is HUGE.

But when it comes to his play, I don't think you'd have an overly difficult time replacing him with Clowney. Chris is what he is; a player that tries hard and doesn't stop. He is a big time liability against the run, and for someone to say he isn't, they obviously don't know what they are watching. Even when Chris was excellent last season or even the year before, he was very below average when it came to the run stop. He has been good in regards to applying pressure, but he's had a bad year with that too. Hopefully it's simply just a bad year and nothing else.

I think Clowney (like I said before) is a SPECIAL prospect. Now is that a reason to go ahead and start trading away good players? Not exactly, but I would be absolutely fine with taking Clowney at #2. I don't believe the hype of "he doesn't care" "he isn't trying".. I feel like there was more than enough pressure on him this year, teams have gameplanned against him, but he's still making his presence felt even without the sacks.

Look at Quinn for example. The last two games he hasn't had a sack, but every single play I look for #94 and he's either being double teamed or triple teamed. Someone else has to step up and take advantage. Our DT's are not very good at pass rushing and Long has severely struggled. With the talent that Clowney has, and the coaching of a great coach like Mike Waufle, I feel like the duo of Clowney and Quinn would easily be the best in the league.

THE DREAM TEAM

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    For a second, let's ignore that it makes very little sense (IMO) to cut/trade away a defensive leader who was just signed to a $60 million extension less than two years ago.

I think what I dislike the most about this idea is the suggestion that you replace Chris Long with someone who, while he has a lot of natural talent and ability, appears to have the character and work ethic of a turnip.

I don't think Chris Long is going anywhere. Maybe there's a slim chance the Rams draft Clowney thinking that doing so frees them up from breaking the bank re-signing Quinn, whom they'd trade away instead, but I think that'd be a poor decision if they go that way as well.
    ...rofl...

Randart is offline Registered User

I voted NO as did most and for all the reasons so many stated so well... Chris is a heart and soul player Cloney is already showing he is not even close to that in spirit. Talent wise this guy scares heck out of me! There have been dozens of DE's drafted in the first round that just did not pan out, he is already showing the work ethic and morals to go down this road in a heartbeat. Anyone remember Vernon Gholston, god was he good in Madden how come the guy could not perform and stick with a team.

Now as to Chris's performance this season I think as has been alluded to he is playing through injuries, more than one. He is still doing a descent job, to want to dump the guy is just crazy to me. Also we have this kid Rivers who just may have some lighting in his bottle of talent I liked what I saw from him in the preseason. I really hope we don't draft Clownee in a huge way. Even if the guy becomes a star I really am doubting his leadership ability and character in the biggest ways.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

My only criticism of Long is that MNF game where he often overpursued Wilson, allowing him to scramble out of the right side of the pocket easily and make some big gains. Hope he learned his lesson that game.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I personally think that Jeff Fisher and the Rams organization is too loyal to cut or trade Chris Long, even if he is a tad it overpaid. Think about it, if the Rams haven't cut or traded Sam Bradford yet why would they do it to someone who has actually played up to his draft position.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I personally think that Jeff Fisher and the Rams organization is too loyal to cut or trade Chris Long, even if he is a tad it overpaid. Think about it, if the Rams haven't cut or traded Sam Bradford yet why would they do it to someone who has actually played up to his draft position.
    No one in any NFL front office has ever cared about a player's draft position when deciding to cut or trade a player.
    Rammed and FestusRam like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

FestusRam is offline Registered User

That's a good point, and it's a sentiment that is shared by everyone else here after seeing the poll results.

What doesn't make sense to me is how Finnegan is seen as a likely veteran cut(poll results in AV's thread) but Long getting cut is completely out of the picture. I don't get it. They're both very similar players. Long has long been a staple in the Rams D, while Finnegan was the first guy recruited by Fisher when he joined the Rams. Both are veterans with huge contracts who have proven they can make an impact in this league. They also both haven't played up to their contracts this year. Finnegan's been injured, and Fisher himself excused his play because of his eye injury. Long's been healthy, as usual, but it's clear he's not been himself this year. I don't see how either one is much safer than the other.

Look, I'm not saying we absolutely need to cut Long, but I wouldn't be against it if we could find a solid replacement in the draft. Clowney simply came to mind because he's the consensus top DE in the next draft.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -12-13-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    What doesn't make sense to me is how Finnegan is seen as a likely veteran cut(poll results in AV's thread) but Long getting cut is completely out of the picture. I don't get it.
    My understanding based on the contract numbers at my disposal is that cutting/trading Long would still leave the Rams with a significant amount of dead money to count against their cap without actually saving them any cap space, while cutting Finnegan would leave them with much less dead money against the cap and an actual cap savings.

Contractually, you can make a case for moving on from Finnegan. I don't think you can make that same case for Long, based on his contract (assuming the numbers I'm looking at are correct).

And look, I really think the claims that Long has dropped off in terms of his play or efficiency are incredibly exaggerated. According to PFF, he is still Top 10 among 4-3 DE in hurries, and he's boasting his best rating against the run from them in his career.

Long is fine; there's no real convincing reason to move on from him going into 2014, especially for a player that appears to be the complete opposite of him when it comes to work ethic and leadership skills.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-13-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    mde8352gorams and Randart like this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    The notion that Long has had a down year along the lines of Finnegan's decline is absurd.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

My understanding based on the contract numbers at my disposal is that cutting/trading Long would still leave the Rams with a significant amount of dead money to count against their cap without actually saving them any cap space, while cutting Finnegan would leave them with much less dead money against the cap and an actual cap savings.

Contractually, you can make a case for moving on from Finnegan. I don't think you can make that same case for Long, based on his contract (assuming the numbers I'm looking at are correct).

And look, I really think the claims that Long has dropped off in terms of his play or efficiency are incredibly exaggerated. According to PFF, he is still Top 10 among 4-3 DE in hurries, and he's boasting his best rating against the run from them in his career.

Long is fine; there's no real convincing reason to move on from him going into 2014, especially for a player that appears to be the complete opposite of him when it comes to work ethic and leadership skills.
    Most of the public simply just looks at the number of sacks to measure a DE performance. They forget to look at the whole picture.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

According to my research, Chris ranks 8th among DEs in the NFL with 11 tackles for loss (Robert Quinn is tied for first with 17).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast