View Poll Results: What should the Rams sign as their big money FA?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • DE [Charles Grant, Justin Smith, Dwight Freeney]

7 46.67%
  • OG [Eric Steinbach, Leonard Davis]

1 6.67%
  • LB [Lance Briggs, Cato June]

3 20.00%
  • DT [Terdell Sands, Tommy Kelly]

3 20.00%
  • S [Ken Hamlin, Gibril Wilson, Micheal Lewis]

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Money FA

Country is offline Registered User

Big Money FA

What position should the Rams target as the biggest money FA signing?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Big Money FA

Tough choice for me between OG and DE. I'll have to ponder that one a bit longer. I'm tempted to go OG with Steinbach but it'd be nice to have an established veteran like Grant or Smith on the other side of the D-line.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I went with DE's only because I'm not familiar with the DT's listed. Would prefer Charles Grant or Dwight Freeney.

ramsown is offline Registered User

hey guys im new!

anyways lance briggs. alot of people in other forums want us to go after him. and hes good and would round out oru backers

Quote Originally Posted by ramsown View Post
    hey guys im new!

anyways lance briggs. alot of people in other forums want us to go after him. and hes good and would round out oru backers
    The problem I'm seeing with signing Lance Briggs is that he's going to command A LOT of money as a free agent, and I'm not sure we can really afford to put so much money into our starting LBs (Spoon: 6-year $33 million, Pisa: 5-year ~$25 million).

Rambos is offline Registered User

Here is a way to go, take a look and both lines, through FA complete one side of the ball, with the best available talent. If we can put together a solid Offense line or defensive line pick one side of the ball and get it done. Iím tried of both lines being a problem. I would do the O line. We have not protected Marc as promised; lets get a solid and deeper O line. The donut bros may or may not be back and if one or both come back. I would guess both or one would miss some time next year. Two big time vet pick ups for out O line would do it.

If we can protect Marc and keep SJ rolling I take it.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The problem I'm seeing with signing Lance Briggs is that he's going to command A LOT of money as a free agent, and I'm not sure we can really afford to put so much money into our starting LBs (Spoon: 6-year $33 million, Pisa: 5-year ~$25 million).
    I picked Briggs too. Yes, expensive...but thats the point of the thread, no? We'll see...hopefully our coaches/staff realize what we need and do the necessary things this off-season to get as many good FA's as possible, while managing a reasonable cap; which is quite difficult with the names out in free-agency this year! Lets pull a redskins move, but actually make it work! :x

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Yes, expensive...but thats the point of the thread, no?
    Okay, so you don't have any problem with how much money the Rams already have tied up at the LB position, and that signing another upper-tier LB to a huge contract likely means a lot less money to go around to address other positions on the D?

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Okay, so you don't have any problem with how much money the Rams already have tied up at the LB position, and that signing another upper-tier LB to a huge contract likely means a lot less money to go around to address other positions on the D?
    Nope. Lol, honestly I didn't think of it like that. What I do know is we're one of those teams with more cap money than most. I'm not saying to waste all of it, but if we need quality...get the best while you still can. The D can't rely on just WW, we need more big playmakers like Adalius Thomas or Lance Briggs. So, I say try to get the best we can get before its too late, thats all, and make sure its something we actually need. You know a lot more about that than I do, so I'll leave that part to you But getting another good LB, perhaps we could do a switch, bring WW back to his natural position where he was spectacular in Carolina, and get a good FA MLB, or draft a 1st rounder for that. D-line is still a top priority though, probably something we need the most, and I am not so sure what the draft will be like, are there any good D-line players this year coming out for the draft?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

D-line is still a top priority though, probably something we need the most
    So why not make our big money free agent a defensive linemen? I don't like the defensive tackle crop in terms of elite players, but you've got guys like Charles Grant and Justin Smith available at DE this offseason. Considering we have needs at two if not three defensive line positions including DE whereas we only need one more linebacker, I think that the D-line would be the more logical destination for our big defensive contract.

I am not so sure what the draft will be like, are there any good D-line players this year coming out for the draft?
    Yes, there are a number of good defensive line prospects. The question is how well the value lines up where we pick and whether or not they'll be available. We very likely miss out on the two top prospects - DE Gaines Adams and junior DT Alan Branch - unless we keep tanking this season.

After that, the best prospects appear to be DT Quinn Pitcock (Ohio State) and DE Quentin Moses, neither of whom I think are great value where we're picking right now (10th overall). Obviously their value could change, but I like Moses in the 12-20 range, and Pitcock in the 14-24 range.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=Nick unless we keep tanking this season.[/QUOTE]

So what's not too like? A 5-11 record assures us a top ten pick and, maybe just as importantly, sets up the rest of the draft nicely: I.E. top ten picks in every round helps to insure that there will be value on the board when we pick. Also, it's a great way to score players who for some unknown reason drop from there projected slots (as happens every year without fail).
    Yeah, I know I'm going to get skewered for posting this (and is a major reason why I put it in this forum) but I kinda believe that most of the Clannies that frequent the draft forum tend to agree with me (although maybe not so publicly!!)

WHAT SAY YE?

RamsDynasty is offline Registered User

I'd love it if we could some how land Freeny or Smith at DE and Sands at DT because the Rams need 2 or 3 top flight Dlinemen to pair w/ Little. We have some cap space it would be nice to see some of the cap magic. Then I think we could go draft Patrick Willis in the first and the best run blocking DT available in the 2nd and our defense would be top 10 potential.
    Last edited by RamsDynasty; -12-31-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsDynasty View Post
    I'd love it if we could some how land Freeny or Smith at DE and Sands at DT because the Rams need 2 or 3 top flight Dlinemen to pair w/ Little. We have some cap space it would be nice to see some of the cap magic. Then I think we could go draft Patrick Willis in the first and the best run blocking DT available in the 2nd and our defense would be top 10 potential.
    Smith, Sands, and a starting-caliber offensive guard sounds like a fairly successful free agency period to me (assuming we add some depth players as well). I'm not a fan of Freeney simply because I don't think that helps our run D at all.

As for Willis, I like the look of that LB group with him tackling anything that moves in the middle. At 13th overall, I think he's a realistic possibility of fairly good value as well. Sign me up.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

My dream offseason would be Smith or Grant at DE, Sands at DT, an OG (although Steinbach may be too expensive) and Willis in the first round of the draft.

We shouldnt be going anywhere near Lance Briggs, because we already have to very good OLBs on this team, we dont need another. It seems Spoon is moving outside, so we dont need an OLB. We will have to sign an MLB capable of starting should we need him too, just in case the draft pick doesnt pan out.

Charles Grant could be the most likely DE to find himself in STL. Haslett was the guy whho drafted him and made him who he was, although i dont know if they have a good relationship or not. But either Smith or Grant would be huge signings

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I'm establishing a time-warp portal for selected players called "The Haslett Connection."

Look for Charles Grant to make his way to STL utilising the advantages of this portal in the offseason. The Saints have multiple Rd.1 picks invested in their D-line, and Grant is a seasoned vet. Will Smith will be entering year three in the league, and should be ready to pick up where Grant left off. Will he be a great addition? My money's on No.

Will he be a solid, stable aditon for the next few seasons? O magic 8 ball... All indications point towards yes. He's consistent, but he's not flashy, which is why we don't hear of him mentioned in the same vain as your Dwight Freeney's and Julius Pepper's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast