Like Tree10Likes
  • 10 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Big news just before FA: League strips Cowboys, Redskins of cap space

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Big news just before FA: League strips Cowboys, Redskins of cap space

From pro football talk
    I put it here rather than the NFL Talk forum because it has major implications on the upcoming free agency period, but feel free to move it!

Well, it wasnít just a rumor.

We explained an hour ago that there has been talk of the NFL taking action against teams that deliberately dumped salaries into the uncapped year of 2010.

The two violators primary violators were the Cowboys and Redskins, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. Per Schefter, the league will punish the teams by removing millions in cap dollars.

How many millions? Schefter reports that the Cowboys will lose more than $10 million ó and that the Redskins will lose $36 million. (And now we know why the Redskins got the Griffin deal done last week; the Rams likely would have wanted even more for the second overall pick now.)

The teams can divide the cap losses between 2012 and 2013 in any portion they want. As of Sunday, the Redskins more than $30 million in cap space in 2012. The Cowboys had less than $5 million.

The money will be reallocated to the other teams, with every franchise except the Saints and Raiders picking up $1.6 million in extra cap space.

The Saints and Raiders presumably donít get the extra money as their own punishment for engaging in similar tactics in 2010.

So, for the second time in 10 days, the NFL has acknowledged cheating. Though this isnít as serious as the Saintsí bounty system, itís still cheating. And the consequence demonstrates what the league thinks of it.
    This is massive.
    It's effectively taking the Skins out of the FA market for this year. How can the Skins get better than they were last year with no money and no draft picks? High pick for the Rams next year?

Also, taking the Skins and Cowboys out of the market leaves the "big" FAs for teams like the Rams to swoop in!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Big news just before FA: League strips Cowboys, Redskins of cap space

Wow, the Skins got screwed. Nice to know we get some extra money to play with, just sucks almost everyone else does to.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Wow. That puts the Skins in a bad position.

I sure wish the Rams could benefit from that somehow.... you know, like if the Rams stood to gain if the Skins have a bad record for the next couple of years...

Wait a second...
    Rambos, Nick, MauiRam and 7 others like this.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Wow. That puts the Skins in a bad position.

I sure wish the Rams could benefit from that somehow.... you know, like if the Rams stood to gain if the Skins have a bad record for the next couple of years...

Wait a second...
    That made me lol so hard my girlfriend jumped a meter in the air.

thermobee is offline Registered User

This is pretty awesompossum.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

That makes Vincent Jackson more attainable too since they won't literally throw cash at him while he's deciding where he wants to play.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Exactly. Yet the article says the Rams would have asked for MORE. I don't understand why they would come to that conclusion. The Panthers with Newton are picking #9. If the Rams could get a #9 next season versus a #20 that's a major difference.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Exactly. Yet the article says the Rams would have asked for MORE. I don't understand why they would come to that conclusion. The Panthers with Newton are picking #9. If the Rams could get a #9 next season versus a #20 that's a major difference.
    The Rams with Bradford picked 14th after nearly making the playoffs. I think it's going to be a bit of a surprise if the Rams don't end up with a pick in the top half of the draft from the Skins.

Maybe Les Snead knew about all this...

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

wow we could end up with 3 top ten picks when this deal is all over.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Frankly, i think if the redskins knew about this they wouldnt have made the trade with us. I think a material part of the skins plan was to use their 40 million in cap space to give rg III weapons and a rebuilt o line. Without picks and without cap they are badly disadvantaged. That would have driven the price down for cleveland, not up, in my view since the gap between the #4 that cleveland had an miami's pick was much more significant than the difference between the #4 and the #6.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Cowboys, Redskins punished ... but why?
    March, 12, 2012
    By Dan Graziano (ESPN NFC East Blog)

Free agency just got a whole lot less exciting for fans of the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins, who may have a lot less to spend on free agents than they originally thought.

Adam Schefter reports that the NFL has docked the Cowboys $10 million in cap space and the Redskins $36 million in cap space for dumping large chunks of long-term contracts into the uncapped 2010 season. The teams are allowed to split the penalties up over the next two seasons, so technically this might not affect either team's spending until 2013. But you have to believe they'd be wise to get at least some of it out of the way this year.

We had the Cowboys at $12.667 million under the cap before they put an $8.8 million franchise tag on Anthony Spencer, so the full penalty would actually put them over the cap and even if they took $4 million of the hit this year they'd still have work to do to get under. We had the Redskins as $47.568 million under the cap before they put a $5.4 million franchise tag on Fred Davis, which means they could take their whole penalty this year and still be under.

What'd they do wrong? Well, they apparently violated no actual rule but rather a behind-the-scenes guideline designed to keep the uncapped year from truly being uncapped.

While the 2010 season was an uncapped year, the NFL told teams not to use that as a means of eating up portions of long-term contracts in order to reduce cap room in future years. The Redskins and Cowboys and, to a lesser extent, the Raiders and Saints, were found to have done just this. As a result, not only do they lose this money, but every NFL team other than Oakland and New Orleans gets an additional $1.6 million in cap room. (The Saints and Raiders aren't docked any cap room, they just don't get to share in what the Redskins and Cowboys have to give back.)

This seems a pretty ridiculous thing for the league to do. Either the year is uncapped or it's not. To tell teams, "Yeah, it's uncapped, but don't spend too much this year just because of that, or we'll fine you for it down the road" feels a little bit like collusion to me. But this is the NFL, which does what it wants and makes up the rules as it goes along. The Cowboys and the Redskins surely know that, and the fact that they were the only two teams found to have engaged egregiously enough in this behavior to deserve a huge loss of salary-cap space indicates that they should have known better.

The immediate fallout will be more roster cuts than initially expected for these teams as they work to stay under the cap and still fill out their 2012 rosters. The Redskins, for example, have already announced that they have cut fullback Mike Sellers and safety O.J. Atogwe.

As for recourse, which some of you are already asking about on Twitter, I doubt there is any. All indications are that this is the result of a settlement between the league and the NFLPA, which indicates to me that the four teams mentioned weren't the only violators, just the worst ones. And again, while they don't appear to have broken any actual league rule that's on the books, they do appear to have been warned. So, they're being punished. In the NFL's world, you pretty much have to do what the NFL tells you to do.
    I think Jim Trotter of Sports Illustrated and Howard Balzer have brought up a good question on Twitter - why did the league approve these contracts in 2010 if they felt they were inappropriately "salary dumping?" It seems pretty backwards to have approved the contracts at the time only to come back two years later and punish them for this tactic.

Having said that, if it hurts the Redskins and thus improves the position of their draft pick in the next two years, I'm strangely okay with it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

As I understand it (and I could be completely wrong on this) the rules didn't prohibit the moves because there were no cap rules. The owners (and I think players) had entered into a private agreement that teams wouldn't take advantage of the non-cap period to dump the contracts of their veterans to avoid taking a cap hit later. That's where this comes into play. The punishment is in violation of the agreement, not the rules.

Lastly, from what I heard on the radio they had been negotiating this punishment since the collective bargaining agreement was signed. The Redskins and Cowboys along with every other team knew this was coming.