throwback week

jbell15 Guest

Big six OT's and Big five LB's

The big six OT's include

Jason smith, andre smith, eugene monroe, michael oher, Ebon Britton, and William Beatty.

That makes it six guys with first round talent who can play tackle.
    If we draft Curry then we will definitely take one of those six if they fall to us, or someone like Jamon meredith or Phil Loadholt who can play LT or RT.

The linebackers that would appeal to a 4-3 team like us would be Curry, Maualuga, Cushing, Clint Sintim, and James Lauranaitis. I don't count Matthews because he only appeals as a first round pick to 3-4 teams.
    That makes it five guys that are first round talent who can play LB in a 4-3, followed by ellerbe and Brinkley, who pose a large dropoff from the first group .

I'd Rather take Curry and hope one of the big six fall to us, than take a tackle, and hope that a linebacker falls to us. Because, If one of those five Lb's are not there, the drop off to ellerbe and brinkley is much more drastic than that of the big six to loadholt or Meredith.
    Thoughts?

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Re: Big six OT's and Big five LB's

Until the Rams Draft a NT or Sum Better DT's curry or any other MLB will get killed back there.
    Take the OT in the 1st.
    J. Brinkley in 3rd or 4th.

jbell15 Guest

I think that a combo of carriker, ryan, maybe wroten and a DT on day two will hold the fort in the middle

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    The big six OT's include

I'd Rather take Curry and hope one of the big six fall to us, than take a tackle, and hope that a linebacker falls to us. Because, If one of those five Lb's are not there, the drop off to ellerbe and brinkley is much more drastic than that of the big six to loadholt or Meredith.
    Thoughts?
    Detroit and Philadelphia both are in dire need for Offensive Tackles. I can't see Britton getting by Detroit at 21, and Beatty getting past Philly at 28.

Of course, this would change if Detroit went OT first overall, as teams in the 10-15 range who could legitimately be looking at Oher would be, in my opinion, less likely to reach for Britton. I doubt that the Lions do that, but it's very much something to consider.

MarshallMarshall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    I think that a combo of carriker, ryan, maybe wroten and a DT on day two will hold the fort in the middle
    What makes you think this? What has Carriker or Ryan done in the past to make you think they can " Hold the Fort Down "? Because in my mind DT is our biggest need behind OT. Neither of our DT's commmand a double team, nor do they consistently get off blocks to make the tackle. IMO almost everyone on this site has neglected the need at DT.

#39 Fan Guest

I too would rather have Curry - Britton/Beatty than Monroe/J.Smith - other LB

I don't see any OT we draft being a starter at LT for us this year. JMO

I'm also very cool on Lauranitits (thinking more and more he might bust -- has the mental tools, but outside of that I have my doubts) If we do go LT first, I'll be hoping for someone else other than J.L. in the second.
    Last edited by #39 Fan; -03-11-2009 at 03:40 PM.

iStillBelieve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by #39 Fan View Post
    I'm also very cool on Lauranitits (thinking more and more he might bust -- has the mental tools, but outside of that I have my doubts) If we do go LT first, I'll be hoping for someone else other than J.L. in the second.
    I'd say it is more of the opposite. Lauranitis has the physical tools for a MLB, but over pursues and may not have the mental makeup to play it well.

#39 Fan Guest

Keeping his weight over his feet (while changing directions), and footspeed in general are my biggest knocks on him (along with a few spacing/overpursuit issues) He's coachable (imo), but some things you can't teach (Physicals) looks a bit slow, sluggish, and weak to me. (no versatility)

Needless to say, I'm o.k. if we miss out on him.

#39 Fan Guest

Thumbs up Re: Big six OT's and Big five LB's

I think I'd prefer Ziggy/Brace at 35 over James Lauranitis (if still on the board)

tonyray05 Guest

Curry is and will be a star on this team and in this league barring injuries. Maybe we can move up and down in the draft order and take care of the OL .

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think one big thing that factors into the decision is that if things go well, we won't be in position to pick this early in the draft for a long, long time. With that in mind, I think there's a case to say that when you're here, you want to make sure you get the kind of player you're unlikely to get a shot at in other years. That logic would favor Curry moreso than the offensive tackles.