View Poll Results: Biggest Rams 2008 Rams Draft Lie

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Dorsey was at the top of the Rams draft board, but they took Long anyway."

    22 34.92%
  • "The Rams could have picked Donnie Avery in Round 3."

    21 33.33%
  • "John Shaw overruled the coaches and Devaney and decided who the Rams would take."

    12 19.05%
  • "John Greco's arms are too short to play OT." (later confirmed that they are 33, not 29, inches)

    8 12.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,661
    Rep Power
    168

    Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    Seems like there are a few floating out there.


  2. #2
    ramsplaya16's Avatar
    ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    coral springs. Florida
    Age
    22
    Posts
    881
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    its definantly the avery one. im almost positive he wouldent have been there in the 3rd
    Built RAM tough

  3. #3
    Mooselini's Avatar
    Mooselini is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,724
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    I think its the Dorsey one. I knew Long was the pick the whole time...

  4. #4
    rampower's Avatar
    rampower is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    cumbria, UK
    Age
    41
    Posts
    832
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    Me too the dorsey/long debate. Long was the man they wanted and the man they got. Deal done. I wont waste one moment wondering if we shoulda taken dorsey. Long is a ram.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

  5. #5
    The Special One's Avatar
    The Special One is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    Me too the dorsey/long debate. Long was the man they wanted and the man they got. Deal done. I wont waste one moment wondering if we shoulda taken dorsey. Long is a ram.
    Yeah, and I love the fact that we won't have to lose sleep over whether Dorsey's injury ever comes back to derail his career. Good luck Herm...or not.

  6. #6
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    The Avery one isn't a lie. It's an assumption. Just like the assumption that he would have been there in the third. The first one is an actual lie, so I went with that.

  7. #7
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    The Avery one isn't a lie. It's an assumption. Just like the assumption that he would have been there in the third. The first one is an actual lie, so I went with that.
    Well, perhaps a more fitting title would be "draft myths", but it's the same idea. I picked the Avery controversy over the Dorsey controversy because I think there's more reason to believe we gave Dorsey legitimate consideration than there is to believe that Avery would have lasted through that receiver run.

  8. #8
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Well, perhaps a more fitting title would be "draft myths", but it's the same idea. I picked the Avery controversy over the Dorsey controversy because I think there's more reason to believe we gave Dorsey legitimate consideration than there is to believe that Avery would have lasted through that receiver run.
    If Dorsey really was #1 on our priority list, he would be in our rookie camp right now.

    I think that's reason enough to believe that he wasn't #1 on our priority list.

  9. #9
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    I'm not disputing that Long was at the top of our draft board. I just mean that I believe the idea that Dorsey and Long were rated close together is more accurate than the idea that Avery would have stayed on the board a lot longer. One's a fib, the other a whopper.

  10. #10
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,608
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    I'm going with the Avery line simply because of the zealous nature it's supporters have held. Several fans have repeated this line with all of the standard sophmoric suffixal stamps........."Period"......."Nuff Said"......"End of Story".

    I'm amazed that anyone would attach such certainty to an aspect of this wide receiver class when reality was so far removed from the general pre-draft assumptions.

    No less than 10 receivers gone before the Rams 3rd.
    Reports of 8 to 10 teams that had Avery atop their WR board.
    Offenses specialized to the point that no general ranking of wideouts is relevant.

    Yet so many opinions holding dear to the idea that Avery WOULD HAVE been there in the 3rd. Amazing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  11. #11
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    How about those KNOWING that Donnie Avery is going to be a stud. He played at the University of Houston. If you don't get Fox Sports Southwest he wasn't on television......AT ALL. You didn't see him play if you lived say in........Oregon unless you had a sattelite dish. How anyone can say these rookies are going to be great is beyond me but even worse is when you say they are going to be great and you've never watched them.

  12. #12
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,045
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    Hub and Tx's both make good points, and that's also what I see, which is why I picked the Avery debate as a "lie."

  13. #13
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,608
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    Quote Originally Posted by tx
    How about those KNOWING that Donnie Avery is going to be a stud.
    And who has said that?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  14. #14
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And who has said that?
    Well HUb, I really don't have the time to go through each and every thread possible to look up the names.

    Geez guys, do we have to quantify every thread with a backup thread anymore? Some have HUb, but I'm not going to take the time to look up names.

  15. #15
    Ramer's Avatar
    Ramer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,026
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Biggest 2008 Rams Draft Lie

    I went with Dorsey was at the top of the Rams draft board. They had me fooled. I wanted Long but really though they were going to go with Dorsey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gordo Live: 4/14/08
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -04-14-2008, 09:27 PM
  2. Wagoner's Mailbag: Feb 23
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-24-2008, 02:25 AM
  3. J. Thomas Live, 12-27
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -12-28-2007, 11:46 AM
  4. Jim Thomas Live, Nov 20th--Lots of good stuff
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -11-21-2007, 03:18 PM
  5. RAMS Tale of The Tape
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -01-09-2006, 03:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •