View Poll Results: What's the biggest need?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • QB

26 53.06%
  • D-Line

12 24.49%
  • Wide Receiver

3 6.12%
  • Tight End

3 6.12%
  • OLB

1 2.04%
  • Running Back

0 0%
  • O-Line

1 2.04%
  • D-Backfield

1 2.04%
  • Something Else?

2 4.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Warner4prez is offline Registered User

The Biggest Need??

Much has been made, and shall continue to be made about where to go with the 1st overall pick this year. What I want to know is what is our most glaring need? What can make or break this team? I'm prepared to give a little insight to each position and how they can impact our team.

1.) QB: Obviously this is one of the biggest points of contention with all fans this year as well as from years past. It seems unlikely that the Rams won't do SOMETHING to address the QB position this year, but where are you at clan rammers? Personally I don't think a top tier QB is a major need. Perhaps we need a game manager, a Chad Henne type or Matt Moore. Watching the Rams turn into an air-raid offense seems unlikely no matter who gets the job though. One thing is for sure though, a fresh face under center could force defenders to pull a defender or two out of the box.

2.) DL: Suh and McCoy have dominated their fair share of draft talk this offseason, rightfully so. Is DL the most glaring need to this team though? Coach Spags has made his mark on the NFL as a guy who can make the most out of largely unknown talent. His DL by committee mantra in NY really gave life to guys like Justin Tuck and Osi. Perhaps the Rams have their guys in Clifton Ryan and Chris Long. The uncertain future of players behind them does make an awful lot of people nervous. Top flight talent could anchor this unit for a decade.

3.) WR: Last season gave a lot of WR's the light of day they may have never seen if not for the likes of Billy Devaney. He traded for the likes of Robinson and Gibson, and recruited Amendola, Kent and Martin from relative obscurity. A lot of hopes ride on Robinson and Avery to lead a largely unproven and unknown squad of receivers, but do either make for a threat to opposing defenses? Surely a true #1 receiver would do wonders for ANY QB to relieve a little pressure and maybe create a mismatch for our speedy corps.

4.) OLB: J-Lau proved to be the steal of the draft for our Rams last season, and will hopefully anchor our LB corps for years to come. The only trouble is that we don't exactly have much of a corps around him. Vobora has captivated the teams attention as a spark-plug once only known as Mr. Irrelevant, but is he a true starter for this Defense at SLB? Paris Lennon is a journyman at WLB and merely there to keep the spot warm for anyone to come in and claim it. A couple of bruisers to play sideline to sideline would definately benefit the whole defense by adding extra protection to stop the run, as well as helping to check the increasingly popular WR Screen, popularized by Arizona.

5.) TE: In the teams' attempt to run a West Coast offense, TE is supposed to be a keystone to success. Randy McMichael was once a top TE for the Dolphins and was expected to be a presence for the young Rams unit. That experiment is now likely coming to an end. Daniel Fells could still surprise as a viable starter, but there's always room for improvement. Much has been made about the possible RFA TE's this offseason, and there is a lot of love for the incoming draft class too. The Rams would definately benefit from a large and sure-handed target for whoever stands under center.

6.) RB: Coach Spags' intentions are well known regarding running the ball. Running will set the momentum of the game and we will play smashmouth-ball-control football. Trouble is; Steven Jackson is only human. He strapped this team to his back and it took a toll on him at the end of the year. The Rams will have to get a fresh pair of legs to give him a spell here and there. Chris O. did quite well for himself in a brief appearance at the end of the year, and despite the lack of face time Kenneth Darby managed some decent numbers himself. Is it one of the biggest needs for this team? Well the health of Steven Jackson is directly related to it, so perhaps it's being underplayed a bit.

7.) O-Line: When healthy the line has managed to play (perhaps) better than expected. Jason Brown was a much needed injection of health, and in his time on the line Jason Smith made an impact. As has been their MO though, injuries took their toll and by the end of the year the patchwork O-Line caved in. A few years back the NY Jets spent two first round picks on the O-Line and now they sport the number 1 running attack in the NFL. Nevermind the fact that poor line play has all but ended Bulger's career. Solid line play is a key in the NFL.

8.) DB: OJ and Butler hold down the saftey spots. Butler is a good starter, but with the likes of Antrell Rolle coming available we have room to improve. CB is also an area of concern. Bartell has played solid, but not shutdown quality football like we'd hoped. Fletcher appears to be on the fast track to recovery and coaches are very optimistic about his return. After that it begins to get fuzzy. With much of the NFL more apt to running a wide open passing attack our depth at CB is a bit of a concern. Quincy Butler played ok at times, Justin King is a sound tackler, but poor in coverage.

What does everyone think? Everyone has an opinion on what could save this team, I honestly think the right player in any one of those spots could help turn the ship quickly. We've got great role players, but we lack in star power.

TheRammer Guest

Re: The Biggest Need??

I voted D-Line since I think thats what we needed most last year to start changing things around in the trenches... don't think this year our QB situation will be fixed but next year I think we will have alot of darn good possibilites to be had!

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

i voted DL because i consider the trenches to be where you build a team, and at the moment the Rams have only two players that could be starters elsewhere, Clifton Ryan and Chris Long.

But the fact is, there is no real "biggest" need. There isnt one position on this team that you upgrade and suddenly the Rams are a competitor. This team is desperate for talent anywhere really, so upgrading at any of the positions you listed would be fine.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

QB by far the only position on our roster without a young upcoming player and it is the most important position. The projected starting secondary all young with upside. LBs you have Lauranatis and Vobora. D-Line Scott, Ryan, and Long haven't reached there peak yet. O-line is rebuilt. WR's are all young and all have shown flashes. TE Bajema good blocker with starting experience, Fells and Fine are young, you don't really know what you have so you can make an argument there. The most important position Bulger's future is uncertain Keith Null 6th rounder and Mike Reilly underafted guy, are you really giving the keys to the most important position to these guys? I think not.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I dont understand how D-line is even close to QB.

We have a good DE in Chris long he showed plenty of promise but not much on the stat sheet. We also saw things from all of our DTs on the Roster. WE HAVE DEPTH AT DT. We are still waiting on AC.

I honestly think D-line should be ranked 3rd on our needs. But 1st on our wants.

You cannot win in this league without a QB. It seems like Marc Bulger is gone real soon so that would leave us with one QB and that is Keith Null. And even if bulger does stay he does not deserve to be a starter. On someother teams he would be a #3. He cannot stay healthy anymore we cannot rely on him anymore. We need a face to this franchise so we need that QB.

After QB its our O-line. We have questions. How will Jason Smith play on the left side. can Jacob Bell protect the QB. Who is our RG? If we keep him how many times do we need to bench Barron for the penalties? Every position on the O-line except Center is a question.

Ramzee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i voted DL because i consider the trenches to be where you build a team, and at the moment the Rams have only two players that could be starters elsewhere, Clifton Ryan and Chris Long.

But the fact is, there is no real "biggest" need. There isnt one position on this team that you upgrade and suddenly the Rams are a competitor. This team is desperate for talent anywhere really, so upgrading at any of the positions you listed would be fine.
    True, no one position fixes the entire team. It's still a team sport but there most definitely is a biggest need. You see, not all positions were created equal. You can breakdown positions into categories of importance or tiers rather. It's why a K, a TE, or a S or a similar position will never be drafted #1 overall unless he can play multiple positions, outside of those specific positions for you.

QB trumps every other position on the field when it comes to positional importance. When you have that need, then it's real easy to see what your biggest need is.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    You cannot win in this league without a QB.
    Mark Sanchez, Jets

Let me make an argument. Do you know who Justin Forsett is? Even if you do know who he is, do you think anyone else on any other NFL team has to gameplan for him when they play the Hawks? The man is a no name. He had 619 yards this year, 130 of those came against the rams in one game. He had four touchdowns last year, two came against the rams in one game.

The fact is you can get by on a weak passing game(i.e. 09 jets, 00 Ravens) if you have a dominating defense and a strong run game.

Edit: Expanded argument
    Last edited by 01d 0rd3r; -02-23-2010 at 11:49 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Overall playmaker.....don't care where.....just someone outside of SJax to make plays

TheRammer Guest

I dont understand how D-line is even close to QB.

We have a good DE in Chris long he showed plenty of promise but not much on the stat sheet. We also saw things from all of our DTs on the Roster. WE HAVE DEPTH AT DT. We are still waiting on AC.

I honestly think D-line should be ranked 3rd on our needs. But 1st on our wants.

You cannot win in this league without a QB. It seems like Marc Bulger is gone real soon so that would leave us with one QB and that is Keith Null. And even if bulger does stay he does not deserve to be a starter. On someother teams he would be a #3. He cannot stay healthy anymore we cannot rely on him anymore. We need a face to this franchise so we need that QB.
    I agree 100% that you can't win without a QB but you can't win being 28th ranked run defense and not being able to stop the opposing team a little. This year's draft strength is DT and the best and biggest inpact players coming out in over 10 years...Next year will be a strong QB class let's get a QB then! What I'm trying to say is don't get people or not a good BPA pick and go with what the draf tis giving you... If this year we draft excellent like last year and again next year we will start being deep playoff contenders...
    Last edited by TheRammer; -02-24-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Mark Sanchez, Jets

Let me make an argument. Do you know who Justin Forsett is? Even if you do know who he is, do you think anyone else on any other NFL team has to gameplan for him when they play the Hawks? The man is a no name. He had 619 yards this year, 130 of those came against the rams in one game. He had four touchdowns last year, two came against the rams in one game.

The fact is you can get by on a weak passing game(i.e. 09 jets, 00 Ravens) if you have a dominating defense and a strong run game.

Edit: Expanded argument
    What i mean by QB i mean someone that we can trust to move the ball down the field and not get 3 n outs on a consistent basis

And Mark Sanchez had a knack for getting 1st downs

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    I agree 100% that you can't win without a QB but you can't win being 28th ranked run defense and not being able to stop the opposing team a little. This year's draft strength is DT and the best and biggest inpact players coming out in over 10 years...Next year will be a strong QB class let's get a QB then! What I'm trying to say is don't get people or not a good BPA pick and go with what the draf tis giving you... If this year we draft excellent like last year and again next year we will start being deep playoff contenders...
    Listen this thread is not about who we draft it is WHAT IS THE BIGGEST NEED? not who do you think should be the pick. At this point i want Suh but our biggest need is QB

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i would say d-line, specifically d end.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    I don't know if wait and see is an option anymore at QB. We've taken that option the past 2 seasons now, and if we wait any longer it could slow the development of our young receivers, who are up in the air as is.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Most glaring need is to add another superstar like Mr. Jackson.... Do not care where it comes from D-Line, WR, LB, QB, it does not matter we need a high impact player.

Go Rams

Dominating D is offline Registered User

What i mean by QB i mean someone that we can trust to move the ball down the field and not get 3 n outs on a consistent basis

And Mark Sanchez had a knack for getting 1st downs

Listen this thread is not about who we draft it is WHAT IS THE BIGGEST NEED? not who do you think should be the pick. At this point i want Suh but our biggest need is QB
    Biggest need is QB? What does that mean?

Here are my thoughts almost every team needs Peyton Manning/Drew Brees on their team. However, just because you select the best QB in the draft does not mean he will be the next Manning/Brees. So it all comes around and around and around does this draft have any franchise QB's? If yes, then the debate will go on should the Rams select the next franchise QB or the crazy talented Suh?

Go Rams

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

My answer to biggest need, not the first pick?

I will go D-Line. I think we need DE more than DT "Need Remember".

Second, I would go TE. Fells & Fine "Who"! McMichael gone.

Third, I choose LB. Lenon a starter no way. Need a starter and depth.

Fourth, Now I go QB. Far as I'am concerned the Rams can draft a QB every year or every other year until they find the Franchise QB or a great one.

Now Would I draft in that order NO WAY ! !
    I want Suh the most!
    I have seen the Rams Draft players that don't fit there system or project better in another position. I don't like that type of drafting.

Draft BPA that fits Rams System.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast