Bigtime is offline Registered User

BigTime's 2006 NFL Mock Draft

This could be Charlie Armey's last draft as a G.M., so hopefully he goes out with a bang. In the years we let Armey run the draft, we seem to be great. Hopefully Linehan, Haslett, Armey and Co. do well.
    Remember, all that matters is what the RAMS actually do and who THEY actually pick, not any of our little hopes of who they get.

**First off** I see Vernon Davis being drafted by San Fran, although it'd make more sense for them to draft defensive backfield or Hawk, who goes to Green Bay. Huff goes to either SF, Oakland or Detroit, Ngata goes to Buffalo.
    So unless we're aiming for Jimmy Williams, we trade our #11 pick to the Vikings for their #17, 3rd-rounder this year AND 4th-rder in 2007. Vikings draft Jay Cutler, who could fall to them anyhow but Cleveland or Baltimore could also pick up Cutler. PLUS Minnesota has those two 2nd-round picks to fall back on.
    Measurables are based on Pro Days, mostly...

ROUND 1
    #17: Strongside Linebacker Bobby Carpenter, Ohio State.
    It's a reach I know, maybe we could trade down again into the 20's, but I don't see this being too much of a reach. Carpenter is the best SAM linebacker in a sea of weakside LBs. I see us trading UP for A.J. Hawk but I do not see Green Bay passing up on him or Super Mario.

ROUND 2
    46: 6-2, 258-pound Tight End Marcedes Lewis, UCLA. Good hands and he can block, he could be a little more complete than Davis as a blocker for now.

ROUND 3--Good value and pretty inexpensive
    77. FS Pat Watkins, Florida State. 6-4, 207 lbs., 4.42 40.
    Provides competition for Atogwe and depth.

83. (From Vikings): DT Jesse Mahelona, Tennessee. 6-0, 310 lbs., 5.34 40. 27 benches...Mahelona's more of a pass rusher but he provides better depth than our current practice squad types.

**I'd like to see us come out w/ a D-End here, but there are too many DT's who are better, like Dusty Dvoracek (he's an alcoholic like Incognito), DcCargo or someone from NC State (productive but who may go early-3rd) and players like that. Either way, we must come out with at least one Linebacker who can threaten to start, a FS or a Corner and a D-Lineman and possibly (although not necessarily) a good tight end.**

ROUND 4
    109. DE Eric Henderson, Georgia Tech. 6-2, 260 lbs., 4.8 40. Henderson provides decent competition to Hargrove, a situational pass rusher/depth guy/good special teamer at worst.

Round 5
    140-ish?: OG Fred Matua, Southern California. 6-2, 306, 5.1. Matua may go higher, but we gotta start drafting Guards of the Future this year AND in 2007's Draft. If not Matua, best available guard or best av. versatile O-Lineman.

Round 6
    170-ish?: OT/OG Jeromey Clary, Kansas State, 6-6, 306, 5.26. We can't afford to screw up in later rounds too often, because we gotta find our 3rd O-Tackle sometime soon.

Round 7
    Punter Tom Malone, USC. If he lasts this long, Malone would be solid competition for Matt Turk--why couldn't we pony up a few more bucks for Jason Baker, again? If Malone's gone, then go for Steve Weatherford from Illinois or John Torp from Colorado. Both can kick off and both have been inconsistent at times but both can be camp legs for Turk.

Comp picks: Inside linebacker Freddie Roach, Alabama; best available Center left.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: BigTime's 2006 NFL Mock Draft

Good Mock. I give it a B
    RamsFan16

harrydog is offline Registered User

Overall I like it, particularly Lewis with the 2nd pick.
    By the way, I think he's listed as 6'-6", not 6'-2".

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

he's an alcoholic like Incognito
    RI's an alcoholic? Haven't heard that one yet.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Yeah he is/was I'm pretty sure he went to rehab for that. Gotta say I love the draft

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    That's not true at all. He's been through anger management courses, but never to AA. Be careful what you say about Incognito, he may just come after you.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    That's not true at all. He's been through anger management courses, but never to AA. Be careful what you say about Incognito, he may just come after you.
    That's what I thought.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Pretty good mock. Needs seem to be pretty well, and value is about right. I think you're overestimating Lewis' ability as a blocker though. He's improved, but it's still not a strength area for him, IMO.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bigtime is offline Registered User

Thanks for the kind words. If the RAMS end up staying where they are and drafting Vernon Davis, Huff or Jimmy Williams (or trade down if Greenway's their guy), we get an A- in the whole draft on that pick alone.

I see us going for TE in Round 2 or 3 if Davis is gone by #11, a strongside linebacker, secondary (hopefully Free Safety, we already have 5 Corners), guard/center (versatility's the key, someone like Oklahoma's Chris Spencer), defensive End (comp. for Hargrove and depth), defensive tackle (depth). Witherspoon and Faulk are enough even in 3-4 sets; we can pick up someone in June for depth.

Overall, we'll be fine. If the draft is 70% like our free agent signings, we'll all be cheering VERY....LOUDLY...