Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Bills Might Trade Byrd ?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Bills Might Trade Byrd ?

Bills Could Franchise S Jairus Byrd With The Intention Of Trading Him?
    Nate Bouda February 19, 2014

Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550 Buffalo writes that, depending on how things go in the coming weeks, the Bills could apply their franchise tag to impending free agent S Jairus Byrd with the intention of trading him this offseason.

According to Buscaglia, the Bills are expected to meet with Byrd’s agent, Eugene Parker, at the Scouting Combine next week to discuss a potential long-term.

Buscaglia adds that re-signing Byrd could lead to Aaron Williams playing elsewhere in 2015, as it’s unlikely that Buffalo would be willing to pay him close to $5 million annually in his next contract.

The Bills franchised Byrd last year, so they would be looking at a one-year tender worth $8.299 million in 2014 if they were to go this route.

Byrd, 27, is reportedly seeking a similar contract to that of Eric Weddle, who received a five-year, $40 million deal from the Chargers. Assuming that the Bills are willing to trade Byrd, they would most likely be seeking at least second-round pick in return for him seeing as they would almost certainly receive a third-round compensatory pick if he were to sign elsewhere in free agency.

We have Byrd listed as the No. 3 player in our Top 50 Free Agents list.
    Go for it Rams, offer #13.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-01-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Inserting text of article rather than link

Barry Waller

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Bills Might Trade Byrd ?

I'd offer #13 in a heartbeat

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    No. That pick plus the cap space to sign him is too high a price.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Not a chance. While I think Byrd is a tremendous player, I believe the Rams should be looking for the best value vs talent possible.

For that reason I'd prefer trading down from 2 with Minnesota and prying lose Harrison Smith, who I think is a comparable player to Byrd, and who's salary for the next two years is 1 million and 1.3 million respectively before becoming an unrestricted free agent in 2016.

If we could do that, we'd have a safety in nearly the same class as Byrd, for a fraction of the cost and we'd still have the 13th pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Not a chance. While I think Byrd is a tremendous player, I believe the Rams should be looking for the best value vs talent possible.

For that reason I'd prefer trading down from 2 with Minnesota and prying lose Harrison Smith, who I think is a comparable player to Byrd, and who's salary for the next two years is 1 million and 1.3 million respectively before becoming an unrestricted free agent in 2016.

If we could do that, we'd have a safety in nearly the same class as Byrd, for a fraction of the cost and we'd still have the 13th pick.
    Harrison Smith is nowhere in the same class as Byrd, and even if he were, why would Minny give him up to move up a couple spots in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Harrison Smith is nowhere in the same class as Byrd, and even if he were, why would Minny give him up to move up a couple spots in the draft?
    You say a couple, I say six. I think there's a bit of a disparity there.

But nonetheless, I think it depends on their position at QB.

If they view one of the top 3 as the difference between their 2012 and 2013 seasons, they may be inclined to pull the trigger on a deal to ensure they can draft one of them.

Six places may not be a big deal in the 3rd or 4th round, but it is extremely valuable real estate at the top of the draft. So it will cost them. Certainly they may view Smith as too valuable to part with, but here's to hoping that they don't.

At this point, I'd agree that Byrd is a better player, but not by as much as you might think. Not to mention the difference in salary, which is clearly in Smith's favor.

You say a couple, I say six. I think there's a bit of a disparity there.

But nonetheless, I think it depends on their position at QB.

If they view one of the top 3 as the difference between their 2012 and 2013 seasons, they may be inclined to pull the trigger on a deal to ensure they can draft one of them.

Six places may not be a big deal in the 3rd or 4th round, but it is extremely valuable real estate at the top of the draft. So it will cost them. Certainly they may view Smith as too valuable to part with, but here's to hoping that they don't.

At this point, I'd agree that Byrd is a better player, but not by as much as you might think. Not to mention the difference in salary, which is clearly in Smith's favor.
    I do agree with you there, and if the Vikings were willing to make a deal with us I'd definitely do it. I do like Smith, reminds me a lot of a young Eric Weddle. Even though at #8 we'd be missing out on one of the top prospects, we might still be able to get Matthews or Lewan as our OT, and instead of using our 13th pick on a Safety we could use it on Mike Evans or Justin Gilbert.
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree with AV. No way would i give up the #13 for a guy who is going to have to get paid absolute top dollar at his position, although it would certainly be great to have a guy with Byrd's skills on the Rams.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

You have a chance to get a difference making star, one of the best at his position, the kind you can't usually get in their prime, like Marshall Faulk, and you try to say that sme lesser option you still overpay to get is a better option.

Sorry, the money is there to spend now, and why not spend it on a guy who does as much as this guy would for this team.

$8 million a year is not too high a price, when you are talking $5 or more for Riodger Saffold.

Byrd has been hurt just once, and otherwise has been quite durable, and he can do it all, and stay on the field all the time

Why waste that cap on mediocrity that will be overpriced in a year, like Finnegan was, and like so many free agents?

I say a defense with their old starters, PLUS Finnegan returning at a loer cost plus a cornerback from round two like Roby, Fuller, Verett, competing to start, and Byrd at FS, and either Dunbar or a high draft pick at Will OLB, WILL be able to compete with Seattle and the Niners, and ll you used was a first, and a third round pick .

Hopefully you have dealt down, and use the other high #2 from say Atlanta to get a WR or a guard, if you have let Saffold go to sign Byrd instead.

The cost of Saffold plus a first round safety at #13 would be as much as what Byrd will cost.

Franchise guys require TWO #1 picks to get if you sign them, and you might get this one, a really good one, for just ONE first rounder?

It would be nuts not to do that.

It would have been like the Rams saying no thanks to Indy, and drafting a R B instead in 1999.

The way it worked out though, that would have been a failed strategy, as Edgerin James and Riskey Williams, the ONLY great backs that year, were GONE by the Rams pick in round one. SO the Rams didn't care that they would have to make him the highest paid back in the NFL, or that it cost them a high #2 and #5 pick.

Same with Aeneas Williams for a #2. SOme things you add with a star, OFF the field, as well as ON, like experience, winning attitude, confidence, are almost worth as much as the talent you get.
    Vinnie25 likes this.
    Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Byrd is no Faulk (who we obtained without giving up a Top 15 pick).

No way I'd make that trade.
    Randart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    You have a chance to get a difference making star, one of the best at his position, the kind you can't usually get in their prime, like Marshall Faulk, and you try to say that sme lesser option you still overpay to get is a better option.

Sorry, the money is there to spend now, and why not spend it on a guy who does as much as this guy would for this team.

$8 million a year is not too high a price, when you are talking $5 or more for Riodger Saffold.

Byrd has been hurt just once, and otherwise has been quite durable, and he can do it all, and stay on the field all the time

Why waste that cap on mediocrity that will be overpriced in a year, like Finnegan was, and like so many free agents?

I say a defense with their old starters, PLUS Finnegan returning at a loer cost plus a cornerback from round two like Roby, Fuller, Verett, competing to start, and Byrd at FS, and either Dunbar or a high draft pick at Will OLB, WILL be able to compete with Seattle and the Niners, and ll you used was a first, and a third round pick .

Hopefully you have dealt down, and use the other high #2 from say Atlanta to get a WR or a guard, if you have let Saffold go to sign Byrd instead.

The cost of Saffold plus a first round safety at #13 would be as much as what Byrd will cost.

Franchise guys require TWO #1 picks to get if you sign them, and you might get this one, a really good one, for just ONE first rounder?

It would have been like the Rams saying no thanks to Indy, and drafting a R B instead in 1999.

The way it worked out though, that would have been a failed strategy, as Edgerin James and Riskey Williams, the ONLY great backs that year, were GONE by the Rams pick in round one. SO the Rams didn't care that they would have to make him the highest paid back in the NFL, or that it cost them a high #2 and #5 pick.

Same with Aeneas Williams for a #2. SOme things you add with a star, OFF the field, as well as ON, like experience, winning attitude, confidence, are almost worth as much as the talent you get.
    I agree that the Rams should be smart with their money, but when you have a chance to obtain a top-3 safety in this league you do it, even if you have to give up a 1st round pick. Offensive line and Safety have been the Rams biggest weaknesses the past couple years, and with the signing of Jake Long and the impressive play of Barksdale last year, I think this would be the last thing the Rams would have to do to make them a complete team. Sure we need a WR, but this year has great depth at that position and we'd be able to get a good one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post

Not sure who this post was directed to, but since I'm the only guy to suggest a different player so far, I guess it's me.

And if that's the case, my response is simple.

I view Harrison Smith as an up and coming young Safety, with all the skills to become a great player. Couple that with the fact that he will be extremely cheap for the next two years, and we'll get to keep our 13th pick, it becomes a no-brainer to me which deal I'd make.

And just so you know, Jairus Byrd is not in the same stratosphere with Marshall Faulk.

I view Harrison Smith as an up and coming young Safety, with all the skills to become a great player. Couple that with the fact that he will be extremely cheap for the next two years, and we'll get to keep our 13th pick, it becomes a no-brainer to me which deal I'd make.

And just so you know, Jairus Byrd is not in the same stratosphere with Marshall Faulk.
    Trading spots with Minny and getting Smith would be my first choice, but I think trading the 13th pick for Byrd would be a more realistic possibility. He'd be expensive, but with the cap expected to go up the next couple of years I don't think it would be that big of a problem to absorb.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Barry, i LOVE reading your stuff and i wish you would post even more often, not just the draft stuff, but all year long.

However, comparing Byrd to Faulk? I think that is a really serious stretch. Byrd is an outstanding player at his position, but i dont think he could have remotely the same impact as the best overall offensive player in the game (faulk). As av pointed out, faulk wasnt traded for the #13 overall. If you are advocating trading a 2 and a 4 for Byrd, that is pretty interesting, but to me, not the #13 overall.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Randart likes this.

chiguy is offline Registered User

AV is right on the price being too high and that's reason enough to think this a bad idea. But here is another, equally good, reason -- we'd still be unable to score enough points to win in our division. Sure, we'd have a D that is good as Arizona/SF/Seattle, but they would continue to pummel our offense. We need a safety, but we don't need it at the expense of actually improve the offense. The pick and pay makes it virtual impossible for us to do both.
    ramsbruce likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast