Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Billy D. and Spags already know ..

When the decision to let Pace go was reached, I have to believe that Billy and Spags had a plan. We can talk till we are blue in the face about whether we should take Curry, Munroe, Crabtree or someone else, but I believe the die is already cast. After all, we only have one team drafting ahead of us. We've got the pick of the litter after that.

What I don't believe is that were we to draft Curry, Billy would not have a backup plan in place -- a trade, or some scenario that would bring us an OT. Billy will have to gamble when it comes to his evaluation of talent, but I don't think he'll gamble on an OT being there for us in round two .. Thoughts ??

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Billy D. and Spags already know ..

sort of adds another question...would you prefer...

Curry & Beatty with our first 3 picks(trading the 3rd away to get back into the 1st)

or

say Monroe,Nicks & McKillop?

if we go option 1,id prefer us to give up a pick next year instead of this one,but thinking about it i expect we would have to give up a 2nd round pick next year rather than a 3rd this year,if that was the case.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -03-25-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

How about wait for it

1: Monroe OT
    2: Brace NT
    3: J. Brinkly MLB

jbell15 is offline Registered User

I hate Ron Brace, but that's beside the point.
    And who says Nicks will be there in the second?
    i definitely don't think he will.
    it's either
    monroe
    Brace, robiskie. best case scenario, kenny Britt or lauranaitis.
    or
    Curry
    Loadholt, meredith. Best case scenario Beatty.

We would have to trade up for the best case scenarios IMO. I think Lauranaitis has the best chance of falling out of any of them.

Obviously Billy d. has a plan, but who says his plan doesn't get shot down by a pick no one expected?
    IDK.
    I'm in favor of Curry, because i think that he is the best player outside of Stafford. The patriots took mayo way early, and look how that panned out?
    We have to take the player we believe will help us the most, and i think that's Curry, even if linebackers never get taken that high.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    I hate Ron Brace, but that's beside the point.
    And who says Nicks will be there in the second?
    i definitely don't think he will.
    it's either
    monroe
    Brace, robiskie. best case scenario, kenny Britt or lauranaitis.
    or
    Curry
    Loadholt, meredith. Best case scenario Beatty.

We would have to trade up for the best case scenarios IMO. I think Lauranaitis has the best chance of falling out of any of them.

Obviously Billy d. has a plan, but who says his plan doesn't get shot down by a pick no one expected?
    IDK.
    I'm in favor of Curry, because i think that he is the best player outside of Stafford. The patriots took mayo way early, and look how that panned out?
    We have to take the player we believe will help us the most, and i think that's Curry, even if linebackers never get taken that high.

i fully agree with picking Curry...however..i said Nicks as just a suggestion..i dont think he will fall to the second but stranger things have happened..i have him down as the 3rd best WR prospect so it depends on if there will be 3 teams who want to pick a wideout before we make our second pick or not...also some might prefer Britt or Robiskie over Nicks,i dont but some may!

i agree on the best case scenario is Curry & Beatty.

i dont see Loadholt and Britt as being options due to Character concerns and what Billy D said about such players in his recent interview..Britt seems to have sorted his head out to a degree but its still thought he`s a bit of a Prima-donna wideout...i dont think we need one of them!

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

maybe he also wanted to let Pace go when he did to let someone else step up during camp and preseason also to evaluate everyone else on the team..if he believes someone can make that step he'll take the chance, if not he still has the draft to fall back on for that position..

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    My point was that the smart money is on Munroe or Smith. We already know no one can jump in front of us at #2 overall. If Billy is planning on selecting Curry, which is possible, I'd have to think there's a deal in place at least agreed to in principle that will allow the Rams to obtain an OT through an outright trade, or a trade up on draft day. With all the talk of how we are going to get bigger on both lines, I've a hard time believing Billy is willing to gamble on an OT being there in round 2, or hoping he can somehow cut a deal on draft day before someone makes a "surprise pick."

itsguud is offline Registered User

What is the date of Curry becoming a RAM... I mean the draft

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    I think it is April 25th ...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post

The day after never.

I'm all for an OT. We lost Pace, and I can't argue with that. McKillop will be available when we pick. Curry reminds me of Vernon Gholston. I was high on this guy, but he fell off the face of the planet. I don't want that type of player anchoring our defense. I know the scenarios are a little different, but OT's are a safer pick than LB's.

Look at Jake Long and Sam Baker. Those guys came in and made an immediate impact! We need that kind of player, and I think that Monroe and J. Smith will do fine in Horns.

Curry, he's good. But he isn't a natural MLB, which is a major concern. I think Spags of all people doesn't want to experiment with position changes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I'm hoping the pick will be Curry, because as was stated by Devaney our LT will be Barron.
    I'm assuming if the pick were to be Smith/Monroe he would not come in and start on the left immediately, so why draft a LT and have him play RT? We did it to Barron and look how that worked out for the guy the past few seasons.
    To me it makes sense that we take the consensus BPA and draft Curry and then select a true RT in round two.

richtree is offline Registered User

Nicks has been reported to have a weight problem and physically has been looking in bad shape.

His stock is falling quickly and many teams aren't considering him a day 1 selection.

Espn had a quick McShay report on this about 3 days ago as well.

Gotta stay clear of Nicks.

Many pro scouts are talking about having to use him like Alge Crumpler.

We have Randy so Nicks is a waste of a pick, and he's not a great blocker.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Nicks has been reported to have a weight problem and physically has been looking in bad shape.

His stock is falling quickly and many teams aren't considering him a day 1 selection.

Espn had a quick McShay report on this about 3 days ago as well.

Gotta stay clear of Nicks.

Many pro scouts are talking about having to use him like Alge Crumpler.

We have Randy so Nicks is a waste of a pick, and he's not a great blocker.
    Holy overstated Batman! The kid has a Combine injury and is limited in workouts up to his Pro Day. He weighed 226, not exactly the "Crumpler"esque type of weight. He still ran a 4.43 short shuttle and a 6.96 three-cone. Both respectable and not at all a major concern.

And the rest of Florio's report is that Nicks has already lost much of the weight he put on.

Teams aren't considering him a day 1 pick? Yea, maybe the teams who aren't in the 20-30 range where Nicks probably gets drafted.

richtree, don't worry.....your boy Britt will still go in the 1st (IMO). No need to knock down other receivers; your boy doesn't make it past the Giants.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    I'm hoping the pick will be Curry, because as was stated by Devaney our LT will be Barron.
    I'm assuming if the pick were to be Smith/Monroe he would not come in and start on the left immediately, so why draft a LT and have him play RT? We did it to Barron and look how that worked out for the guy the past few seasons.
    To me it makes sense that we take the consensus BPA and draft Curry and then select a true RT in round two.
    Your point's a good one, Warner. Barron is going to go back to his natural position of LT. We've been planning for this move since we drafted him, and he's proven that he's a left tackle in this league, not a RT. We need a beefier, stronger RT, and maybe Smith or Monroe is a RT, but do draft one that high? Well you do if you aren't necessarily extending Barron's contract, as they are both possible LT's in my mind.

But, the question is, if we do intend on keeping Barron, which I bet we want to do, then we need a true RT, and maybe that comes in the second round with Phil Loadholt. Now yes, he's got some character and mental aspect of the game issues, but dang is he a prototype drive blocking RT! Hell, we might even be able to trade DOWN to still pick him up, if Devaney and Spags can feel comfortable with him.

Just something to think about, when we could possibly have our cake and eat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    But, the question is, if we do intend on keeping Barron, which I bet we want to do, then we need a true RT.
    Well Teke, that's the issue .. Do Billy and Spags see Barron as the long term answer at left tackle? I don't pretend to know. If they think he is the answer, then the pick could well be Curry. If they don't we'll likely draft a tackle at #2 .. I would imagine they'll keep their cards close to the vest right up until the draft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast