Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Billy Devaney on the Rams Draft

By Bernie Miklasz
    03/21/2008 5:03 pm

For the Rams fans…

We had Rams VP of personnel Billy Devaney on our Team 1380 radio show on Friday, and he was generous in providing answers to our questions.

A synopsis of the interview, and please excuse my typos, as I am multitasking here (live radio and blogging do not mix):

* Veteran free agent CB David Macklin was signed to be an inside slot CB on the nickel.

* Wants to take a CB in the draft but likes second-year Jonathan Wade and think he can compete for starting job.

* Free-agent WR Reche Caldwell — between Rams and Redskins; decision should come soon.

* Caldwell has no guarantee of a job here; he was told he’d have to win a WR spot as the third or fourth WR.

* Still want to take an OL in the draft; don’t know if it’ll be early or late. Noted success of some some fifth-round or later picks.

* Rams delegation has visited with DE Chris Long, OT Jake Long, DE Vernon Gholston. Devaney says these visits have “reconfirmed everything we thought about these guys.” Said they really liked them as people. Feel good about all o’ them.

* Rams will visit LSU next week (DT Glenn Dorsey) and then go to SoCal to see DE Sedric Ellis. They’re excited to see Dorsey; love his personality — but of course teams have questions about Dorsey’s old stress-fracture injury. Devaney agreed it is “scary to use a high pick on a DT.” Why? Because so many have to change defensive systems when they enter the pros…. he cited Dwayne Robertson (Jets bust) as an example.

* Disagreed that Chris Long is just a try-hard, effort, high-motor guy only. Says he has real talent and will get sacks and you can win championships with him. Compared him to Patrick Kerney but touted Long’s athletic ability.

* Will meet with RB Darren McFadden — need every option covered…. not thinking about taking a RB right away, but he’s an impact player and they want to do their due dilligence on all of the top prospects. (which is smart).

* Expect to field calls before draft, and on day of draft, for teams looking to move up that No. 2 pick. (will listen).

* Says that as important as No. 2 overall pick is, the Rams need to really hit on that No. 33 overall, and the third rounder. (all of them, really).

* Gholston: most explosive defensive talent from a pass rush standpoint… has the “one dimension that every team craves, an explosive pass rusher.” Adds, however, that Gholston, while respectable against the run, wouldn’t be as strong against the run as Chris Long.

* Sports Illustrated compared Chris Long to Lawrence Taylor… Devaney used the old Lloyd Bentsen line (on Dan Quayle). Says he knows LT, his Redskins teams competed against LT, and Chris Long is no LT.

(Sidebar: the Rams really do like Chris Long; our Jim Thomas, Rams beatwriter, thinks the Rams like C. Long the best at this stage).

* OT Jake Long … says he is not as athletic as Joe Thomas, who was a top five pick last season… but points out that Thomas was an A+ athlete… says J. Long is a B+ and that’s plenty good enough, especially since he’s so intense and competitive.

* All top prospects will be brought into Rams Park for visits.

* Devaney says had the authority to re-sign LB Brandon Chillar if he (and Scott Linehan) had wanted to make the case. “Jay (Zygmunt) would make it happen.” Devaney believes Culberson can be a starting player — very productive for as little as he played.

–B

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Billy Devaney on the Rams Draft

Enh, not bad, not bad. I agree with most of what he says. The biggest thing that I disagree with is that he doesn't think Long is LT. Al Groh, Long's head coach and LT's coach back in the day says that he hasn't seen a better player since LT.

I'm glad that they're even looking at McFadden, because you do need to look at all the top players. Except for Ryan. Screw Ryan. And hey, if there was a time to trade Jax, now would be that time. Low cap hit, chance to get Run DMC.

I'm iffy about them thinking O line late though. There's not going to be a much better OT class than this. Now's the time to draft Pace's eventual replacement so he can learn under him for a while.

Rambos is offline Registered User

* Disagreed that Chris Long is just a try-hard, effort, high-motor guy only. Says he has real talent and will get sacks and you can win championships with him. Compared him to Patrick Kerney but touted Long’s athletic ability
    What else canyou say.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Macklin is playing nickle? isn't Bartell the nickel back with Brown and Hill as the starters. Maybe there is something with Brown, or I could be reeding to deeply into that comment

Rambos is offline Registered User

TekeRam your 24 so I'm thinking you did not see LT play much... to say C. Long is as good as a guy that change the game and is one of the all time sack leaders is a bit of a reach, no it'
    s a hugh reach.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-22-2008 at 11:08 PM.

chipperjones Guest

Thanks Nick. I am a little confused as well. Lets just say Brown isnt on this team come the opener. Macklin will play Nickle and thats fine, but he also say Wade can compete for a starting job? Bartell and Hill have those spots locked up dont they? We'll I shouldnt say locked up but...in control. I feel the same way about Culberson. Also Im all for Caldwell know, knowing he wont be givin anything. Im happy all top prospects are coming in.

rams4life88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    TekeRam your 24 so I'm thinking you did not see LT play much... to say C. Long is as good as a gu that change the game and is one of the all time sack leaders is a bit of a reach, no it;s a hugh reach.
    seriously. especially since the guy hasn't even played a snap in the nfl yet.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Macklin is playing nickle? isn't Bartell the nickel back with Brown and Hill as the starters. Maybe there is something with Brown, or I could be reeding to deeply into that comment
    I would interpret that comment as that's the spot Macklin will compete for time at, not that he's already been inserted there.

Quote Originally Posted by rams4life88 View Post
    seriously. especially since the guy hasn't even played a snap in the nfl yet.
    I'm not the one saying he's like LT, his coach who also coached LT says that. To start, he won't have the chance to make as much of an impact as LT. A DE just can't do everything that LT was able to do as a linebacker.Besides, there's little to no chance he'd be able to be so head and shoulder above everyone else on the field like LT was. I've seen enough film of LT to know that.

That doesn't mean he won't try.

rams4life88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I'm not the one saying he's like LT, his coach who also coached LT says that. To start, he won't have the chance to make as much of an impact as LT. A DE just can't do everything that LT was able to do as a linebacker.Besides, there's little to no chance he'd be able to be so head and shoulder above everyone else on the field like LT was. I've seen enough film of LT to know that.

That doesn't mean he won't try.
    Ya thats true. Plus theres some added incentive with his Dad being who he was/is. :sfosux:

Mooselini Guest

Sure Wade had a bad season, but everyone did. I do believe we can give wade a chance.

Otherwise, everything else seemed pretty obvious.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Notice how he played down Long, Long, and Gholston? Had criticisms for each?

That's smart. He's most definately keeping his cards to his chest.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

By Bernie Miklasz
    03/21/2008 5:03 pm

For the Rams fans…

We had Rams VP of personnel Billy Devaney on our Team 1380 radio show on Friday, and he was generous in providing answers to our questions.

A synopsis of the interview, and please excuse my typos, as I am multitasking here (live radio and blogging do not mix):

* Veteran free agent CB David Macklin was signed to be an inside slot CB on the nickel.

* Wants to take a CB in the draft but likes second-year Jonathan Wade and think he can compete for starting job.

* Free-agent WR Reche Caldwell — between Rams and Redskins; decision should come soon.

* Caldwell has no guarantee of a job here; he was told he’d have to win a WR spot as the third or fourth WR.

* Still want to take an OL in the draft; don’t know if it’ll be early or late. Noted success of some some fifth-round or later picks.

* Rams delegation has visited with DE Chris Long, OT Jake Long, DE Vernon Gholston. Devaney says these visits have “reconfirmed everything we thought about these guys.” Said they really liked them as people. Feel good about all o’ them.

* Rams will visit LSU next week (DT Glenn Dorsey) and then go to SoCal to see DE Sedric Ellis. They’re excited to see Dorsey; love his personality — but of course teams have questions about Dorsey’s old stress-fracture injury. Devaney agreed it is “scary to use a high pick on a DT.” Why? Because so many have to change defensive systems when they enter the pros…. he cited Dwayne Robertson (Jets bust) as an example.

* Disagreed that Chris Long is just a try-hard, effort, high-motor guy only. Says he has real talent and will get sacks and you can win championships with him. Compared him to Patrick Kerney but touted Long’s athletic ability.

* Will meet with RB Darren McFadden — need every option covered…. not thinking about taking a RB right away, but he’s an impact player and they want to do their due dilligence on all of the top prospects. (which is smart).

* Expect to field calls before draft, and on day of draft, for teams looking to move up that No. 2 pick. (will listen).

* Says that as important as No. 2 overall pick is, the Rams need to really hit on that No. 33 overall, and the third rounder. (all of them, really).

* Gholston: most explosive defensive talent from a pass rush standpoint… has the “one dimension that every team craves, an explosive pass rusher.” Adds, however, that Gholston, while respectable against the run, wouldn’t be as strong against the run as Chris Long.

* Sports Illustrated compared Chris Long to Lawrence Taylor… Devaney used the old Lloyd Bentsen line (on Dan Quayle). Says he knows LT, his Redskins teams competed against LT, and Chris Long is no LT.

(Sidebar: the Rams really do like Chris Long; our Jim Thomas, Rams beatwriter, thinks the Rams like C. Long the best at this stage).

* OT Jake Long … says he is not as athletic as Joe Thomas, who was a top five pick last season… but points out that Thomas was an A+ athlete… says J. Long is a B+ and that’s plenty good enough, especially since he’s so intense and competitive.

* All top prospects will be brought into Rams Park for visits.

* Devaney says had the authority to re-sign LB Brandon Chillar if he (and Scott Linehan) had wanted to make the case. “Jay (Zygmunt) would make it happen.” Devaney believes Culberson can be a starting player — very productive for as little as he played.

–B

Randy Karraker comments on the interview

Macklin signed as a depth player. Will compete for an inside slot position. Best available free agent corner.

Likes Wade. Last year was a redshirt year for him. Wade exceeded what the Falcons thought he could do last year. Thinks Wade can compete for a starting job in '08.

Compares Caldwell to Macklin on defense. Would compete for a depth job. Knows the offense and had a good year with New England two years ago. Would have to fight for a roster spot. Between St. Louis and Washington for Caldwell's services.

Doesn't think they have enough offensive linemen. Doesn't know whether they will take one early or late, but they need more bodies. Noted that many teams have hit on 5th, 6th, 7th rounders on the offensive line.

On use of the #2 pick...the guys that we've seen have reconfirmed what our opinion of them was before we spoke to them. Going to see Dorsey next week. Anxious and excited to see him. Also going to USC to see Ellis one last time.

It is scary to use a high pick on a DT. He notes that. Said much of the problem with DT's that are taken high is changes in system. Dwayne Robertson is a perfect example, he says.

Disagrees with the perception that C. Long is just a try hard, high motor guy. Says he's a great athlete that has been stereotyped as a high motor guys. Thinks Long can get a lot of sacks...says you can win championships with guys like Patrick Kerney and Chris Long.

On Gholston. The upside is that he has the one dimension that every team craves...an explosive pass rusher. Quick off the ball. Can beat you with speed and power. Negative...when you compare him to Long, better pass rusher, but Long is a much better player against the run. You'd like him to be more stout against the run.

Hears Jake Long isn't as athletic as Thomas. Thomas is an A+ athlete. Long is a B athlete. Makes up for it in intensity and playing ability. Long is plenty athletic to play left tackle or right tackle in the NFL. Says we...and personnel people...nitpick players too much. Says overall Jake Long is as good as Joe Thomas.

Will be prepared to deal if an when they get a call. Notes that the Rams are at the mercy of what the Dolphins do.

Will meet with McFadden, just in case.

Says if he went to Jay and said "we have to have Chillar," the Rams would have him right now. Says Culberson can be a starting NFL linebacker. Says if either he or Linehan have a "must have" that Zygmunt keeps him. Really excited about Culberson. Says Chillar is a very solid player, but the Rams didn't want to block Culberson.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -03-22-2008 at 07:28 AM.

RamOfDenmark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    In other words Bartell is not progressing and moving further down the depth chart? Starting to look like a pretty bad 2nd rounder we spent on Bartell, he has enough years under his belt by now that he should be able to do more. Wade hasn't blown me away but looks roughly like you'd expect so far - but Bartell is starting to disappoint me.

I hate our recurring CB problems, it seems like ages ago that we have even had a CB that I would dare to call 'good', not to mention 'great' (man we could have used Dre' Bly for all these years since we let him go).

I hope they're right about Culberson, I'm on the fence about the whole Culberson/Chillar situation. I would have liked to keep Chillar, but if they really see something in Culberson that's also hard to argue with - he's younger and cheaper and we have enough cash tied up in Pisa and Witherspoon already. They're taking a gamble and I sure hope it pays off, if it doesn't fans will rightfully complain about letting Chillar go. We haven't seen that much of Culberson (mostly special teams) and our coaches have seen him a lot at practice every week so hopefully they know something that we don't.

Devaney should just "snap" and say "You know, I'm getting real fed up with all this lying. This whole two month period is just a sham. I'll tell you who we're taking. We're taking Matt Ryan!" And then he laughs manically until they go to break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast