Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

  1. #1
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    23

    Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    That statement is basically we are going to become an elite team for years to come.

    Let me just analysis each pick:

    Pick 1: Robert Quinn

    What this pick meant: We saw the flashes from Chris Long as a franchise LE now we get our potential RE in Quinn. Quinn has a bevy of pass rush moves if he can shake the rust he is NFL ready right now. Remember Spags with the Giants? He had a aging Starhan and an improving Osi now think about what he can do with similar players just both will reach their prime together and play at a high intensity level together.

    How he fits in 2010: Quinn is known as a hard worker so i think pre-season (whenever that is ) will be all he needs to shake the rust. Many think Quinn be a rotational player but i doubt it. I think QUinn will start at RE from Day 1. With James Hall as the rotational DL. Hall will play UT on 3rd down pass rush situations. Quinn will reach his potential by playing.

    Pick 2: Lacne Kendricks

    My Opinion: I believe Spags and Billy D showed their drafting weakness here. There is a huge drop-off between Kyle Rudolph and Kendricks. Billy D should have made a move to get Rudolph.

    What this pick Means: Fendi is not in our plans anymore. Fells will not be back next year. This pick means Josh McD is focused on making Bradford an MVP candidate like he did with Brady. Bradford's favorite option has always been TEs. McD normally lines up with 2 TEs. Now McD can incorporate more routes down the middle with his TEs.

    What this means for our Offense: We have Illinois Mike who was drafted as a nice blocking TE. We can line up with both Kendricks and Mike and use Kendricks to move across the line and even line up in the slot and just create mis matches. Kendricks will likely be that deadly red zone target.

    Pick 3: Austin Petis

    What this pick means: We are moving far away from the WCO and spags has officially gave McD the keys to the entire Offense. We are getting McD type receivers. Regardless of previous articles we will not re-sign Mark Clayton, Donnie Avery better show McD something cuz he is in danger of getting cut. Pettis is our 3rd down receiver.

    Pick 4: Greg Salas

    Time to gloat: I had Salas as our 4th round pick in my final mock draft. YESSSS!

    How our receivers will look: A receiver everyone needs to think about is Brandon Gibson he is a McD type receiver and he can really pluck the ball out of the air. And yes your will hear it here first i think Gibson will be our week 1 starter at WR

    WR1: Brandon Gibson
    WR2: Greg Salas
    WR3: Danny Boy (will play WR2 wen there is no slot)
    WR4: Austin Pettis
    WR5: Danario Alexander
    WR6: Donnie Avery

    Salas vs. Alexander for #2 Wr will be an interesting match-up. Pettis will be on the field on 3rd down passing situations.

    Pick5: Jermale Hines
    Pick 6: Mikail Baker
    Pick 7: Jabara Williams
    Pick 8: Jonathan Nelson

    Our Defense?: Spags seems pretty confident with the players he has. Hines seems like the only one to battle for a starting job.



    We are building a Josh McD offense around Sam Bradford. Spags has faith in his D ability so he decides to give McD the talent he needs to succeed offensively. If these picks pan out we can be very dangerous. I mean 1st round playoff bye dangerous.


  2. #2
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,643
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    My Opinion: I believe Spags and Billy D showed their drafting weakness here. There is a huge drop-off between Kyle Rudolph and Kendricks. Billy D should have made a move to get Rudolph.
    I'm not sure what you mean here...
    Kendricks was valued as a second round pick and a top 50 player by many, so it just seems the Rams stuck to their board. I don't think they went into round 2 thinking "we have to get a TE", they just went with their BPA

  3. #3
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean here...
    Kendricks was valued as a second round pick and a top 50 player by many, so it just seems the Rams stuck to their board. I don't think they went into round 2 thinking "we have to get a TE", they just went with their BPA
    i believe ther is a huge drop off from rudolph to kendricks and billy d playef it too conservative...he should have been agressive and traded up to get the more superior wepon

  4. #4
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,122
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    I think you are wrong with Fendi --- I think the pick up of Kendricks means Fells is out of a job, not Fendi

  5. #5
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I think you are wrong with Fendi --- I think the pick up of Kendricks means Fells is out of a job, not Fendi
    I doubt we go into the season with 2 athletic pass catching TEs.

    We have a pass catching TE- Kendricks
    We have a balanced TE- Illinois Mike
    We have our blocking TE- Billy Bajema

    What has Fendi done that makes you feel he deserves a roster spot?

  6. #6
    GROUND DOG 39's Avatar
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MANCHESTER, U.K.
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    Im with you somewhat BarronWade on having faith with Brandon Gibson. I can see some potential but believe he struggles with the mental aspect of learning the position, like Gilyard. Thats why at the start of the season he wasnt even dressed for the games.
    Once he gets comfortable with McD offense I think Gibson could very well surprise a few people. I could see he was getting closer and closer to making some good plays, although the bottom line is he didnt make them. Its going to be interesting to see who makes the team at WR with the lockout affecting the time the receivers have to learn the MCD' scheme.?

  7. #7
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,643
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    i believe ther is a huge drop off from rudolph to kendricks and billy d playef it too conservative...he should have been agressive and traded up to get the more superior wepon
    Is Rudolph the more superior weapon though?

  8. #8
    Richbert88's Avatar
    Richbert88 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,215
    Rep Power
    33

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    That statement is basically we are going to become an elite team for years to come.

    Let me just analysis each pick:

    Pick 1: Robert Quinn

    What this pick meant: We saw the flashes from Chris Long as a franchise LE now we get our potential RE in Quinn. Quinn has a bevy of pass rush moves if he can shake the rust he is NFL ready right now. Remember Spags with the Giants? He had a aging Starhan and an improving Osi now think about what he can do with similar players just both will reach their prime together and play at a high intensity level together.

    How he fits in 2010: Quinn is known as a hard worker so i think pre-season (whenever that is ) will be all he needs to shake the rust. Many think Quinn be a rotational player but i doubt it. I think QUinn will start at RE from Day 1. With James Hall as the rotational DL. Hall will play UT on 3rd down pass rush situations. Quinn will reach his potential by playing.

    Pick 2: Lacne Kendricks

    My Opinion: I believe Spags and Billy D showed their drafting weakness here. There is a huge drop-off between Kyle Rudolph and Kendricks. Billy D should have made a move to get Rudolph.

    What this pick Means: Fendi is not in our plans anymore. <I don't think so. I think his upside in mismatches is quite similar to Kendricks, he just needs to develop the blocking and get more experience. I don't think Fells will be back and I am skeptical on Bajema's role.> Fells will not be back next year. This pick means Josh McD is focused on making Bradford an MVP candidate like he did with Brady. Bradford's favorite option has always been TEs. McD normally lines up with 2 TEs. Now McD can incorporate more routes down the middle with his TEs.

    What this means for our Offense: We have Illinois Mike who was drafted as a nice blocking TE. <I thought that when he was drafted, DV stated that they thought he was a better reciever than people thought, which would contradict his being "draft as a nice blocking TE".> We can line up with both Kendricks and Mike and use Kendricks to move across the line and even line up in the slot and just create mis matches. Kendricks will likely be that deadly red zone target.

    Pick 3: Austin Petis

    What this pick means: We are moving far away from the WCO and spags has officially gave McD the keys to the entire Offense. We are getting McD type receivers. <IF big WRs is McD's type, what does that make Danny whose role is very similar to how one could image Pettis and Salas being used? I love Danny, but he is small.> Regardless of previous articles we will not re-sign Mark Clayton, Donnie Avery better show McD something cuz he is in danger of getting cut. Pettis is our 3rd down receiver.

    Pick 4: Greg Salas

    Time to gloat: I had Salas as our 4th round pick in my final mock draft. YESSSS!

    How our receivers will look: A receiver everyone needs to think about is Brandon Gibson he is a McD type receiver <I agree, for what it's worth, though maybe not the WR1> and he can really pluck the ball out of the air. And yes your will hear it here first i think Gibson will be our week 1 starter at WR

    WR1: Brandon Gibson
    WR2: Greg Salas
    WR3: Danny Boy (will play WR2 wen there is no slot) <I wouldn't be surprised to see Danny traded to Detroit or Cleveland, and possibly Clayton brought back to be the WR1>
    WR4: Austin Pettis
    WR5: Danario Alexander
    WR6: Donnie Avery <I am not down on Avery at all.>

    Salas vs. Alexander for #2 Wr will be an interesting match-up. Pettis will be on the field on 3rd down passing situations.

    Pick5: Jermale Hines
    Pick 6: Mikail Baker
    Pick 7: Jabara Williams
    Pick 8: Jonathan Nelson

    Our Defense?: Spags seems pretty confident with the players he has. Hines seems like the only one to battle for a starting job.



    We are building a Josh McD offense around Sam Bradford. Spags has faith in his D ability so he decides to give McD the talent he needs to succeed offensively. If these picks pan out we can be very dangerous. I mean 1st round playoff bye dangerous.
    I think the team is moving in a positive direction. But we won't have any answers to alot of the questions we have, similar to our guessing on the draft, until workouts begin and practices commence.
    Semper Fi!

  9. #9
    TheBritishRam's Avatar
    TheBritishRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oxford
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,139
    Rep Power
    31

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    I'm not sure why everyone seems to think Fendi is out at TE, he was contributing last year before his injury so I think as he learns the game (hasn't he been practicing with Bradford and the other receivers?) he'll have a bigger part on the offense especially as they go to more 4WR and 5WR sets. Also I very much doubt Gibson makes the team this year - he's drops hurt him too much last year.

  10. #10
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Im with you somewhat BarronWade on having faith with Brandon Gibson. I can see some potential but believe he struggles with the mental aspect of learning the position, like Gilyard. Thats why at the start of the season he wasnt even dressed for the games.
    Once he gets comfortable with McD offense I think Gibson could very well surprise a few people. I could see he was getting closer and closer to making some good plays, although the bottom line is he didnt make them. Its going to be interesting to see who makes the team at WR with the lockout affecting the time the receivers have to learn the MCD' scheme.?
    Yea your right with McD every single receiver has a clean slate and needs to prove the he can make an impact on McD wide open offense. Gibby is my bold prediction that is why i had him so highly rated. He has potential and he has shown flashes. Lets see if McD can coach this kid up.

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Is Rudolph the more superior weapon though?
    Rudolph is far more superior than Kendricks. Rudolph is taller and a more natural athlete. As far being a reciever both have nice hands but Rudolph has better hands and will catch just about any pass in his vicinity. I think he has a better range than kendricks. Rudolph is also a more reliable option (kendricks is also reliable but rudolph is slightly better. Both are just about the same prospect except Rudolph is slightly better in most categories and heavily better in size and strength.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    I think the team is moving in a positive direction. But we won't have any answers to alot of the questions we have, similar to our guessing on the draft, until workouts begin and practices commence.
    Let me answer some of your comments:

    I will answer the Fendi one in the next quote

    Coming out of college Illinois Mike was considered a blocking TE. Billy D did say he is a better receiver than most think we saw his claim work last season. We saw Mike make some spectacular one handed grabs but Illinois Mike made plays last year but he was not a major impact until the redzone offense was there. Most of his touches came in the redzone. We need a more natural pass catcher that is willing to stretch the middle off the field when we are in our own territory. Bajema filled his role well and made some great blocks for Jackson he also caught some passes that we did not expect he would. Bajema fits his role perfectly and that is a blocking TE.

    Danny Boy will play the role Wes Welker played in NE. he will play WR2 when there are only 2 wrs on the field then switch to the slot when there are 3 or more. Danny bOy will do what he did last year run those short intermediate routes and have a high reception total.

    Out of all our WRs Avery has the most to prove and the biggest chip on his shoulder. He is not a McD type WR so he needs to prove he is a playmaker for McD to work plays for him

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone seems to think Fendi is out at TE, he was contributing last year before his injury so I think as he learns the game (hasn't he been practicing with Bradford and the other receivers?) he'll have a bigger part on the offense especially as they go to more 4WR and 5WR sets. Also I very much doubt Gibson makes the team this year - he's drops hurt him too much last year.
    Im not sure how you think the guy was contributing last year. 3 games 2 receptions 15 yards which really amounts to nothing. The guy did NOTHING last year. Okay he has huge potential that is why we got him but he should have made a bigger impact look at Jimmy Graham in new orleans he made an impact and is similar to Fendi's situation.

    Idk how much people compare him to Gates if he could not get on the field with the TEs we had i dont think he will ever reach his potential.

    Somebody tell me given what he did last year (which is really nothing) how does even deserve a chance to make this team? Tell me what he did in college to make you think he will become a good player (11 games 2 receptions 33 yards 1 TD)?

    Might as well just pick any random athletic 6-6 small forward in college basketball and tell him he will become a great NFL TE because that is Fendi's story.

  11. #11
    QuinnMan's Avatar
    QuinnMan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Pick 1: Robert Quinn

    What this pick meant: We saw the flashes from Chris Long as a franchise LE now we get our potential RE in Quinn. Quinn has a bevy of pass rush moves if he can shake the rust he is NFL ready right now. Remember Spags with the Giants? He had a aging Starhan and an improving Osi now think about what he can do with similar players just both will reach their prime together and play at a high intensity level together.

    How he fits in 2010: Quinn is known as a hard worker so i think pre-season (whenever that is ) will be all he needs to shake the rust. Many think Quinn be a rotational player but i doubt it. I think QUinn will start at RE from Day 1. With James Hall as the rotational DL. Hall will play UT on 3rd down pass rush situations. Quinn will reach his potential by playing.
    I agree with your assessment Barron except that it might take him a bit to work on run defense that His college position coach states he needs to polish up on. Not saying he is far from up but i can honestly say from watching his home games in person that there are some run plays he is overly agressive and takes himself out of making a play. This is just coaching and can be fixed.

    p.s. Is this Bradford as good as I have seen from highlights? I'm sorry for my ignorance since I haven't followed the Rams intently until now. If so it seems he can make the TE and the 2 WR taken in this draft pretty good prospects.
    Last edited by QuinnMan; -05-05-2011 at 08:21 PM.

  12. #12
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnMan View Post
    I agree with your assessment Barron except that it might take him a bit to work on run defense that His college position coach states he needs to polish up on. Not saying he is far from up but i can honestly say from watching his home games in person that there are some run plays he is overly agressive and takes himself out of making a play. This is just coaching and can be fixed.

    p.s. Is this Bradford as good as I have seen from highlights? I'm sorry for my ignorance since I haven't followed the Rams intently until now. If so it seems he can make the TE and the 2 WR taken in this draft pretty good prospects.
    Honestly i do not think Quinn needs to work on his run D. our coach loves pass rushing DL and i think he would like it if Quinn stays aggressive pursuing the RBs even if he over pursues.

    Well Bradford had a great rookie season setting the record for pass attempts while throwing to a bunch of #3 wrs. So yea he is as good as advertised and probably better
    QuinnMan likes this.

  13. #13
    QuinnMan's Avatar
    QuinnMan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    Let's put Quinn in there as a two way player to be the #1 WR lol

  14. #14
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnMan View Post
    Let's put Quinn in there as a two way player to be the #1 WR lol
    Well he does use his hands well...

  15. #15
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Billy Devaney and Spags made a huge statement with the 2011 Draft!

    I think it's a stretch to say that this draft is supposed to make us an elite team for years to come. If we basically felt comfortable with the talent we had on the 19th ranked defense in 2010, that says to me the team is still a work in progress.

    I disagree that there is so much of a drop-off between Rudolph and Kendricks. Rudolph's best season in college was 33 receptions, 364 yards, 3 TDs. Kendricks' best was 43, 663, 5. Kendricks has been more productive, doesn't have as many injury concerns, has more impressive workout numbers, and is probably a better blocker. I do agree that this may mean the end of Fells' and Onobun's tenure with the Rams. Fells because he'll be a free agent and Onobun because he was a late round project of the previous offensive coordinator.

    While I do think McDaniel is moving away from the WCO, I think Pettis and Salas would have been logical fits for that offense, too. The West Coast Offense most commonly implemented is supposed to be a high percentage, short passing game, which means it's more important that your players can catch the ball than that they have great deep speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I have only made this statement once before...
    By bruce4life in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -12-26-2010, 05:15 PM
  2. Draft Talk with Billy Devaney at J Buck's
    By TheRammer in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -02-22-2010, 08:16 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: -01-13-2010, 08:08 AM
  4. Billy Devaney Recaps Draft
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -04-30-2008, 12:25 AM
  5. Billy Devaney on the Rams Draft
    By Nick in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: -03-23-2008, 02:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •