throwback week

Thread: The Black List

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

The Black List

Anyone you'd like to black list as a 'No Thankyou' candidate for the Rams draftboard?

I'm starting with Brandon Merriweather, and Tank Tyler.

Merriweather has potential but has been in trouble with the the law, and similar questions, including those of motivation shroud Tyler's draft stock.

Drew Guest

Re: The Black List

i wouldnt rule out tank tyler but i respect your opinion!

um.......well not that i dont think he`s a great prospect but unless we move to a 3-4,which i wouldnt rule out....id take Carricker off the board,just dont see him being a fit for our D the way it is set up at the mo!

its certainly not a question of talent but style of play,i really think he will be a star in the NFL at somewhere like pittsburgh or cowpat land!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

well not that i dont think he`s a great prospect but unless we move to a 3-4,which i wouldnt rule out....id take Carricker off the board,just dont see him being a fit for our D the way it is set up at the mo!
    I've never understood this argument from the Say No To Carriker convention. I'm honestly asking here......how can a kid who has spent 4 years as a 4-3 DE, not a good fit to be a 4-3 DE?

Maybe I wave the Carriker flag a little too much, but this guy is THE most versatile D-lineman in the draft.......4-3 UT, 3-4 DE, 4-3 NT, maybe even 3-4 NT, but certainly without a doubt 4-3 DE. It's all moot though. This guy is a whiner @ 11.

As for prospects I'd say no to.....Daymeion Hughes, CB, California. His senior season picks will force him up many boards, but I think his lack of speed will become a liability when he has to take on receivers in man situations. In a bend-don't-break zone D, he may do fine. However, if Haslett is serious about blitzing more, then we have to have speedy corners that excel in man coverage (Hill), instead of zone cherry pickers (Hughes).
    Last edited by HUbison; -04-12-2007 at 10:12 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I've never understood this argument from the Say No To Carriker convention. I'm honestly asking here......how can a kid who has spent 4 years as a 4-3 DE, not a good fit to be a 4-3 DE?
    Because:

1. He doesn't run a 3.8 40
    2. He dosen't have a 54 inch vertical leap
    3. He can't bench press 1 ton

Just kidding. I don't know, I didn't watch enough college football this year to begin to evaluate everyone. However, by the time the draft rolls around I bet he does bench 1 ton at his own workout attended by his own agent and PR man.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Because:

1. He doesn't run a 3.8 40
    2. He dosen't have a 54 inch vertical leap
    3. He can't bench press 1 ton

Just kidding. I don't know, I didn't watch enough college football this year to begin to evaluate everyone. However, by the time the draft rolls around I bet he does bench 1 ton at his own workout attended by his own agent and PR man.
    Hmm, I wonder if it's because his 3-4 DE rating on Madden is higher than his 4-3 DE.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

itsguud is offline Registered User

I'm black-listing all DL's as a potential #1 pick. I've been saying it all off-season. We shouldn't waste our pick on this postion and instead should pick-up someone proven like Jenkins! Then we can draft someone more useful like Willis, or if God really favours the Rams this year Landry!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I think I would have to blacklist the following:

Drew Stanton: I dunno, he seemed pretty inconsistent to me in college and I'm not completely sold on him ever combining his ability with good judgment to create the whole package as a passer.

Troy Smith: I simply don't think he's going to find success at the pro level. Height is a big concern in my book.

Dwayne Jarrett: I was very underwhelmed by his class in the Rose Bowl against Michigan.

Daniel Inman: Marginal prospect to begin with, pro day numbers were pedestrian. Literally. As in someone off the street could probably put those numbers up. ;-)

Marcus Thomas: We already took a chance on a character concern in Claude Wroten last year. Thomas was suspended for three games for TWO failed drug tests and then kicked off the team for failing to attend a drug-education class.

Jon Abbate: Maybe he turns into a player, but I suspect being 5'9" and lacking the speed to make up for that size will catch up with him unless he's in just the right scheme.

Oscar Lua: Not really blown away by anything about him, and injuries are a big concern.

Juwan Simpson: We already have an OLB/SS 'tweener in Jon Alston, we don't need to draft another.

Prescott Burgess: Popular second day SLB pick in Rams mock drafts but I'm not sold on his upside. He has the size you like but not the strength and never put it all together at the college level. In the end, will probably not be worth it.

Tarell Brown: One month before the draft, and Brown is charged with a misdemeanor marijuana possession. Second time he's been charged with a misdemeanor in the past seven months. Thanks but no thanks.

Brandon Meriweather: The FIU brawl incident really turned me off to him, and the previous weapons incident now is back in question for me.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Hmm, I wonder if it's because his 3-4 DE rating on Madden is higher than his 4-3 DE.
    That must be it, Hub.

You do know that Holt is a 96 OVR Free Safety?
    Perhaps we should move him there...When we draft Revis to play WR
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -04-13-2007 at 04:38 AM.

Maybe I wave the Carriker flag a little too much, but this guy is THE most versatile D-lineman in the draft.......4-3 UT, 3-4 DE, 4-3 NT, maybe even 3-4 NT, but certainly without a doubt 4-3 DE. It's all moot though. This guy is a whiner @ 11.
    At least I waved the RIGHT flag this time.

And yes, I know that's tempered by my complete botching of the whiners selection.