View Poll Results: Black, Kalil, or Trade Down?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black

21 45.65%
  • Kalil

5 10.87%
  • Trade Down

20 43.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Blackmon, Kalil, or trade down???

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Blackmon, Kalil, or trade down???

Idk about everyone else, but im absolutely pumped over the 2012 NFL Draft.

Theres so much to offer for the future of the Rams.

With that said, our first pick has been the big discussion lately. Most agree that there is three options. Blackmon, Kalil, or a trade down.

What do you think?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Blackmon, Kalil, or trade down???

I think we first look to trade down, then draft Blackmon if nothing pans out.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Blackmon,easy.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

at this point im more then fine with just taking Blackmon and not trading down at risk of someone grabbing him.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

New rookie rules allow trading down from the 2 spot... we have crap for depth and at a number of starting spots. Trade down. I love Blackmon, and I'd be happy with taking him at 2, but until we see some mock drafts, I'll assume that we can find a reasonable WR lower and get another two starters.
    I believe!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    New rookie rules allow trading down from the 2 spot... we have crap for depth and at a number of starting spots. Trade down. I love Blackmon, and I'd be happy with taking him at 2, but until we see some mock drafts, I'll assume that we can find a reasonable WR lower and get another two starters.
    I understand what your saying and agree it would be a nice plan.

but..

im tired of settling for 2nd day wr's. im tired of taking reasonable wr's. it's been to long since we drafted a true offensive playmaker early in the draft.

We havent drafted a true wr since Holt in 99.

Im just tired of drafting a whole bunch of wr's who arnt on the team a few years later. tired of passing on elite talent for average talent. WR has been a huge need for years, yet we continue to hope to find someone later in the draft then spending a 1st round pick on an elite one.
    RockinRam and jmk321 like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think many people can agree that Blackmon is a good player but it is tough to determine who to draft because of what Free Agents will actually want to play in St Louis.

Secondly, Floyd and Jeffery are good alternatives and the distance may not be as great as many people think.

Let's say we could trade down with Cleveland (for example) and they give us Greg Little. We may have to weigh the options. Tackles are hard to find via trade and free agency, so Offensive Tackle may have to be our first round pick.

This is gonna be a long process where we need alot of good players to appear on our roster next season.

I do have Blackmon at a better grade than Little, but not AJ Green or Juilo Jones. Plus Blackmon may need some extra time to learn route tree.

Either way our first round pick we be someone with great talent and the true draft is earned in picks 2-6

can't wait !

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It is an interesting dilemma. I would be inclined to trade down, but covering two regimes we've had so many draft picks in the higher rounds that haven't panned out (Smith, Avery, Pettis, Burton, Carriker etc.) that I have no confidence in our ability to shrewdly evaluate players. Take the sure thing in Blackmon.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    It is an interesting dilemma. I would be inclined to trade down, but covering two regimes we've had so many draft picks in the higher rounds that haven't panned out (Smith, Avery, Pettis, Burton, Carriker etc.) that I have no confidence in our ability to shrewdly evaluate players. Take the sure thing in Blackmon.
    The hope is that the new regime has a clue when it comes to evaluating talent. That said I would only move back if the deal is a block buster other wise take a blue chipper...

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The hope is that the new regime has a clue when it comes to evaluating talent. That said I would only move back if the deal is a block buster other wise take a blue chipper...
    Lets also hope the coachs get the most out of their young players. We've had so many players flounder on the Rams and go elsewhere and exceed expectations. Maby our coaching staff was a bit inept.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I selected trade down, but I would like to have one more option.

Blockbuster trade or Blackmon.

With the current info available, I would go into the war room with Blackmon's agent's phone number ready to be dialed, but wouldn't press the dial button until the final seconds. Before then I would be shopping for a block buster trade, or a trade that allowed me to select Blackmon in a few more picks.

gap

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I understand what your saying and agree it would be a nice plan.

but..

im tired of settling for 2nd day wr's. im tired of taking reasonable wr's. it's been to long since we drafted a true offensive playmaker early in the draft.

We havent drafted a true wr since Holt in 99.

Im just tired of drafting a whole bunch of wr's who arnt on the team a few years later. tired of passing on elite talent for average talent. WR has been a huge need for years, yet we continue to hope to find someone later in the draft then spending a 1st round pick on an elite one.
    I'm not saying that we need to skip over getting a WR in the 1st, I'm saying that we trade down in the first and grab maybe the 2nd best WR in the draft, but in trading down, we get two more high picks(1st next year and 2nd this year?) and/or an upgraded veteran player who fits whatever new scheme we have.
    I believe!

Truth is offline Registered User

To me it really just depends on where we'd be trading down to. If Cleveland wants to trade both their 1st round picks, I'd say trade away. I'm not sure I'd trust our current personnel people to get us any value anywhere past #8. Of course, much of that depends on who we have as HC and GM. Too much up in the air right now. I'd also likee to see what FA brings. I'm not convinced we shouldn't be looking at Kalil. Unless we can protect Bradford, he won't have the time to use Blackmon to any real extent, or worse, he'll be knocked out with injury. I just think there are too many "?" to make a decision right now. Ask this question again at the end of March.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Bradford needs his go-to guy. Blackmon is the choice. Lloyd isn't getting any younger, but when he plays to his full potential, he could be a great #2 receiver for us for a few more years. I don't believe Mcdaniels offense, if he's calling the plays, will get it done for us next year. Let's move on, call it a failed project. End of story.

For those who backed Mcdaniels with the idea of a poor, rotating offensive line, I answer you this. Despite a struggling offensive line, his failure to change up the playcalling was evident. If the line was to blame, shouldn't Mcdaniels have "dumbed down" the offense in order to adjust to our lack of protection and receiver seperation? Quite frankly, he rarely did. Also, I'm tired of hearing the "lack of offseason" excuse. 16 weeks was more than enough for him to prove his worth.

Lastly, if a new offensive scheme is introduced for Bradford, I believe Blackmon could help ease the learning process with his playmaking ability for Bradford. A 'west coast' based offense would be preferred. If Aj Green and Andy Dalton, two rookies forced into action under a new system with no offseason, were able to make the playoffs, without a doubt I feel Bradford and Blackmon can replicate similar success throughout a season.
    Last edited by eric2810; -01-04-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Blackmon, easy.
    Sometimes simplicity is sweet.

Bring Blackmon. For the reasons stated / posted above by Eric and company.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast