Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Blackmon's gonna be gone!!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Blackmon's gonna be gone!!!!

I know, I know. Just as Jesus said we will always have the poor, here at Clanram we will always have the Ray Barones. That is to say, there will always be those that look for the cloud in every silver lining.

And that's fine. Not a life choice I'd make, but to each their own.

In this case, the Rams have made a blockbuster trade:
    We get --- 2012-#6, 2012-#39, 2013-1st, 2014-1st
    They get --- 2012-#2

Personally, I'm happy with that. But for others it has caused a certain level of consternation; due to the fact that Blackmon may be selected in the top 5. Well, folks, I present to you 3 solutions to that possibility.

1. He may NOT go in the top 5. --- Luck, RG3, Kalil.....that much we know. The most likely next 3 off the board in no particular order; Blackmon, Richardson, Claiborne (sounds like a law firm). Though Blackmon is certainly a possibility for the Browns, so is Richardson. If Hillis bolts (which is expected), they have nothing behind him. Defenses will pin their ears back, and go after McCoy all day long. Also, I've seen a few mocks this morning that have Tannehill going to the Browns at #4. I'm not buying it, but what do I know? If available, the Bucs will take Claiborne, no doubt. But let's say the Browns take Claiborne, the Bucs also would/could be looking at Richardson. Blount can't pick up blitzes or catch passes. Make what you will of mock drafts, but I've seen several post-trade updates, and none of them have Richardson falling to the Rams. At #6, they have either Blackmon or Claiborne. Who could complain about that?

2. We draft at #6 w/o Blackmon - Ok, let's say he does go. If he's gone, then so is Claiborne (except for the scenario where the Browns take Tannehill and Bucs take Blackmon....not seeing it but some are). So take Richardson! There are worse things in this world than having S-Jax 2.0 on the roster. S-Jax 1.0 is still great, but he has crossed over the 2,100 carries mark. That puts him 4th among active RBs (LT, Thomas Jones, Ricky Williams). I agree with Nick that in today's NFL, this is probably too high for a RB, but this is Jeff Fisher we're talking about. And he rides his RBs like Patton rode tanks.

3. We trade #6 w/o Blackmon - Why not? Maybe Richardson is the bait. Maybe it's Tannehill. Maybe it's a pass rusher like Ingram. Maybe some WR-needy team freaks out and wants Floyd. I don't know! Who knows what player some team will fall in love with?

But the bottomline here guys is that the #6 pick is still valuable to the Rams. I promise there are more than 5 players in this draft that will make the Rams better.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Blackmon's gonna be gone!!!!

Great points. I like Blackmon a lot, but he's not the end-all-be-all, and the Rams would have been fools to turn down that trade offer simply because they may miss out on Blackmon in the process. Going through the list...

1. You're absolutely right; there's no guarantee Blackmon is taken in the Top Five. See my latest mock for what I would consider a realistic scenario that results in the Rams drafting Blackmon @ six.

2. Yep, if Blackmon goes fourth, then the Rams are picking between Claiborne and Richardson. My personal top three for this class has always been Blackmon, Kalil, with Claiborne as the third guy. It's still possible one of those players is available at six. If none of them are, I think Richardson is a good consolation prize. I'm not crazy about the value, but I like him more than some of the other options at that point.

3. Another trade down is not out of the question. Tannehill could prompt some people to move up, though if Miami signs Peyton there won't be the need to leapfrog them. Richardson himself could be coveted by someone, and some of the defensive players may garner some interest. That pick won't be nearly as in play as the Rams' second overall pick, but there could be some options to consider.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Another thing might happen. If Blackmon is still there when we pick at #6, we might pass on him. We dont know if Fisher and Snead are sold on him. It's a big possibility in my eyes. I still want Blackmon.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

While I would hate it, it could be possible that we look to trade Long, who is in his last year of his rookie contract, and would go after Ingram or Coples at #6. Or just have three DE's and Long can swing inside. Or, we could be looking at our favorite DT prospect.

Cinci has the ammo to go up and grab Richardson, making their own version of the Triplets, but who knows if they will actually do so. I'd love a second trade back, but I really don't like the idea of grabbing Richardson for ourselves at #6, just because we have so many other holes.
    I believe!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    While I would hate it, it could be possible that we look to trade Long, who is in his last year of his rookie contract, and would go after Ingram or Coples at #6. Or just have three DE's and Long can swing inside. Or, we could be looking at our favorite DT prospect.

Cinci has the ammo to go up and grab Richardson, making their own version of the Triplets, but who knows if they will actually do so. I'd love a second trade back, but I really don't like the idea of grabbing Richardson for ourselves at #6, just because we have so many other holes.
    I would never trade Long. Why trade a guy thats playing at a pro bowl level for an unknown? Pass rusher is the 3rd most important position on the field. You need to be solid there, and I feel like were set (like many of us do) for many years. I wouldn't be ecstatic about taking a third pass rusher, but its always an option. Like you said, we swing in Long on throwing downs, and put Coples or Ingram on the outside.

We could also go Dontari Poe (I would not touch him until round 2), Fletcher Cox, or Michael Brockers.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post

I would not want the Rams to trade DE. C. Long. I do hope the Rams offer him a contract extention, so it will cut down his cap value. The Rams might be able to sign more players.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I would never trade Long. Why trade a guy thats playing at a pro bowl level for an unknown? Pass rusher is the 3rd most important position on the field. You need to be solid there, and I feel like were set (like many of us do) for many years. I wouldn't be ecstatic about taking a third pass rusher, but its always an option. Like you said, we swing in Long on throwing downs, and put Coples or Ingram on the outside.

We could also go Dontari Poe (I would not touch him until round 2), Fletcher Cox, or Michael Brockers.
    I don't want the Rams to move Long inside on passing downs. Just draft a Pass rushing type DT in the draft Like Fletcher Cox or Kendall Reyes. Maybe even Michael Brockers, Dontari Poe or Devin Still not great pass rushers.
    Pick up Free agent DT Jason Jones from Titans.
    Rams can part ways with DT's Fred Robbins, Justin Bannon and Gary Gibson all players in there 30s.
    Last edited by Shan the Ram Man; -03-10-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: My qoute went in his quote.

xpmar9x is offline Registered User

Blackmon will be gone, but you'll get Claiborne.#1 - IND - Luck#2 - WAS - RG3#3 - MIN - Kalil#4 - CLE - Blackmon#5 - TB - Richardson#6 - STL - ClaiborneTampa will be getting Finnegan in the offseason to fix their cb hole.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by xpmar9x View Post
    Blackmon will be gone, but you'll get Claiborne.#1 - IND - Luck#2 - WAS - RG3#3 - MIN - Kalil#4 - CLE - Blackmon#5 - TB - Richardson#6 - STL - ClaiborneTampa will be getting Finnegan in the offseason to fix their cb hole.
    Which players in the first round seem like Fisher type players to you X9.? Any position.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You can't discount the Rams wanting Trent Richardson with that pick. Jackson is 28, and T.Rich. is viewed as an elite prospect. We could do a lot worse.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You can't discount the Rams wanting Trent Richardson with that pick. Jackson is 28, and T.Rich. is viewed as an elite prospect. We could do a lot worse.
    Cosign. Plus, Jackson has two years left on his contract. We could let that expire (unless his play fell off a cliff this season) and you hand the reigns over to Richardson. We'd all but be confirming two decades of dominance at the RB position with Faulk to Jackson and then to Richardson.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Cosign. Plus, Jackson has two years left on his contract. We could let that expire (unless his play fell off a cliff this season) and you hand the reigns over to Richardson. We'd all but be confirming two decades of dominance at the RB position with Faulk to Jackson and then to Richardson.
    Unless if we have a Lawerence Phillips stunt double in Richardson!! lol

Fastcat is offline Registered User

I can almost see cleveland passing on blackmon becuase greg little had a good 2nd half of his rookie year. He's tall, fast, and can catch. Why would they draft another reciever when hillis is on his way out the door?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If Blackmon and Claiborne aren't available, I'd prefer to trade down. Richardson might be an elite player at his position, but unluckily for him, runningbacks have a short shelf life and the trend has been toward more spread and shotgun passing formations, and multi-back systems.

Of course, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Blackmon making it to six. If Cleveland takes Richardson, our chances look pretty good. Also, whoever said that Tampa will sign Finnegan, I wouldn't count on that, either. There are probably at least half a dozen teams who could use his services, and the team with the most cap space doesn't always win. The Rams, for example, have the need for his services, the opportunity to reunite him with his former coach, and signing him might improve their chances of getting the guy they want in the draft (assuming they do want Blackmon) by prodding Tampa toward Claiborne.