10 62.50%
  • NO

6 37.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bob Sanders CUT!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Bob Sanders CUT!

Wow! I know he is injury prone, but we have a chance to fill one of biggest needs (safety) with an ALL PRO talent. Sign him now (since he was cut, we can sign him now)! He is a Spags type player. AGRESSIVE. And hes also only 30

Per PFT

Bob Sanders, the safety whose tremendous talent has been overshadowed by his inability to stay healthy, has been released by the Indianapolis Colts.

Colts owner Jim Irsay revealed the news on Twitter, using 140 characters to thank Sanders for his contributions to the Colts and note that Sanders had earned a Super Bowl ring, picked off a pass in the Super Bowl and won a defensive player of the year award during his time in Indianapolis.

When he was healthy, Sanders was nothing less than one of the best players in the NFL. He had an impact on the Colts’ defense that few players in the league could match, which is why at the end of the 2007 season he was named the NFL’s defensive player of the year and rewarded with a contract that made him the league’s highest-paid safety.

But he just hasn’t been able to stay on the field since then: In the last three seasons Sanders has played in nine regular-season games and missed 39.

Sanders knows he’s going to need to take a pay cut for his career to continue, and the Colts may still be able to re-sign him at a significantly reduced salary. But first he’ll test the free agent market. He’s free to sign, right now, with any team that’s willing to take a chance on a talented but injury-plagued former star.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Re: Bob Sanders CUT!

I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself. You want us to sign a player who will demand a decent amount of money, right before a potential lockout? Not to mention he literally can not play more than 1 game without getting hurt. He is very talented but history has shown through his career that he can not stay healthy, and it would be a waste of our money to sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by Judaxi View Post
    I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself. You want us to sign a player who will demand a decent amount of money, right before a potential lockout? Not to mention he literally can not play more than 1 game without getting hurt. He is very talented but history has shown through his career that he can not stay healthy, and it would be a waste of our money to sign him.
    I think he still has a lot left in the tank and alot of his injuries have been freak. I think that if we can get a decent offer to this guy with a lot of incentives, we'd be nuts not to do it.

Hell, we'd be nuts not to atleast explore the option. Whether you have a good SS or not (which we sure as hell dont), 31 teams today just went hmm...

shower beers is offline Registered User

9 games in 3 years...

codeman123 is offline Registered User

I would be up for giving him a contract. It's not like the Rams are going to give him $6 million a year anyways, and he said he knows he's in for a paycut. Give him a small 2-3 million salary with bonuses, where he gets $500,000 for every 5 games he accumulates (so a full season is 1.5 million). He's a quality strong safety, who when healthy is just pure dominant. Craig Dahl can then play backup, and put the Rams in a better depth position.

BigGameHolt81 is offline Registered User

Colts release bob sanders...

So the colts let this him go and he's shown in the past he can be a beast. I think we should take this opportunity and jump on it. I think it would be a good fit and he could compliment atogwe well. What do you guys think about him and do you think there's any chance of us going after him?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

No doubt go after the guy. He will come in for much cheaper than some people think. When hes healthy, hes a monster. We could really find gold with this signing.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Colts release bob sanders...

Sanders is a great player, i would be happy if we pursued him but i would understand if we didn't. Fact is when healthy he would be a huge upgrade to the defense. When not-so healthy he is an expensive bench-warmer.

When i started writing this reply, i wouldnt have signed him .. 2 minutes later .. i think we should.

If you watch this guy play, he plays on the edge, body on the line. Great instincts. And every 'body' is different in the NFL, i see alot of guys that play 110% and they get injuries, but recover and have long stretches of injury free periods. Sanders i think has just had bad luck in the last few years. Worth a look at to upgrade an already effective defense.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I'll take a half way healthy bobby sanders over mr.douche dahl anyday of the week and twice on sundays boys... pun intended!!

thermobee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    I would be up for giving him a contract. It's not like the Rams are going to give him $6 million a year anyways, and he said he knows he's in for a paycut. Give him a small 2-3 million salary with bonuses, where he gets $500,000 for every 5 games he accumulates (so a full season is 1.5 million). He's a quality strong safety, who when healthy is just pure dominant. Craig Dahl can then play backup, and put the Rams in a better depth position.
    THIS

Keep dalh as a back up. I actually like Dalh he is a good person that plays hard and is improving. I think this could be great for the Rams if we can get him in the 2.5-3.5 mil range.

And just as an fyi on his injury prone tag, which given he is certainly had his share lol.

But just to refreshen everyone's mind...do you remember when Oakland let a certain injury prone player walk. I believe his name was Charles Woodson. Don't know if any of you have heard of him. How'd that work out for Green Bay again?

Yeah...

Bring in Sanders for the RIGHT price. I'm not saying give him anything he wants. He knows what he is worth right now. I also think he is a Spags player to the T. Very aggressive. Like was said above me, we could legit strike GOLD with this signing, and yeah keep Dahl as a backup and hey still draft one in the mid-late rounds...like we would have done anyway.

This is really a huge development for us (imo)

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I'll be happy to acquire him, for the right price. Though I just have a feeling there'll be that one team that'll be willing to pay him a ridiculous contract but it's not much of a big deal if we don't lose our chances of getting him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    And just as an fyi on his injury prone tag, which given he is certainly had his share lol.

But just to refreshen everyone's mind...do you remember when Oakland let a certain injury prone player walk. I believe his name was Charles Woodson. Don't know if any of you have heard of him. How'd that work out for Green Bay again?
    Woodson played in 34 games in the three seasons before he left Oakland; Sanders has played in nine games in the last three seasons. Soooo, pretty different situations. He's a good player when he's healthy, but he's rarely healthy. When you fill a hole with a person who is hardly on the field, are you really filling that hole?

I don't have a problem with throwing a small contract at him, but I think any team putting all their strong safety eggs in the Bob Sanders basket would be taking a pretty big risk. I'd rather find a more reliable long-term solution.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

OJ is gone so Sanders might make more sense now (OJ will probably resign with the Rams, I just think there was no way they were gonna pay his bonus)

Had to know it was coming. Poll: Bob Sanders Yes or No.

Simple Question.

Should the Rams sign Bob Sanders?

If I am a betting man, I would put money on him playing in Spags' defense next season.

So yes.
    TylerBishop likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast