10 62.50%
  • NO

6 37.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bob Sanders CUT!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bob Sanders CUT!

I've merged the poll together with the Sanders thread, because frankly, we don't need two different topics within the hour discussing Bob Sanders.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

We need his help he would be a realistic signing.Whats the NFL without risk??yea he is injury prone but as mentioned before a couple have been freak and just unlucky.When he is healthy and on the field he is nothing short of a top safety that can really make a difference in our D.I think he is worth the risk and thats a simple way to solve our SS problem and Craig plays backup which is what he rlly is lets not kid ourselves.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

check it out

We're talking about a player who has had multiple surgeries since 2007, on his knee, both biceps, shoulder, and elbow. If you want to call them freak injuries to downplay them, I guess you could. But it doesn't change the fact that in three years, SOME part of him has been so injured that he's only been able to play in nine total games.

Signing him to a low or incentive-laden contract would be okay I guess, but I don't know how any team signs him with the mindset that they're going to go into 2011 depending on him being in their line-up for the whole year. You'd have to have some back-up plan and depth behind him.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Had to know it was coming. Poll: Bob Sanders Yes or No.

I will take that bet tholtfan81! I dont see how people can make the arguments about 2.5-3 million per year, plenty left in the tank, freak injuries, fills a need etc when the guy has played 9 games in 3 years and is not getting any younger. Think about that for a second. 9 games in 3 years. It is what it is with this guy- yet another example of the brutality of the game and how it creates very short careers for lots of players, especially undersized guys that hit like a truck and play with reckless abandon. Sign for the vet minimum? Sure, why not. Likely to happen? No in my opinion.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If there's some way to pay him per play that he's in on as opposed to on a per year salary, then sure, why not? But come on. He was once the heart and soul of that Indy defense and now they've cut him, because they can't count on him anymore. He takes up a valuable roster spot that they could use on a young, developing safety who might play in only 3 games, but will at least be available for all 16.

If he wants to sign with an up and coming team for a very favorable contract for the Rams, then sure. But it better be strongly based on how much he plays and how effective he is, with an escape clause after the first year.
    I believe!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't have a problem with throwing a small contract at him, but I think any team putting all their strong safety eggs in the Bob Sanders basket would be taking a pretty big risk. I'd rather find a more reliable long-term solution.
    Nick is right we should not count on him as the solution. I say sign him to a 3 year deal (team option for 3rd) on an incentive deal that pays him bonuses for every start he makes past 6 starts. Keep Dahl as insurance and if Sanders cannot stay healthy in 2011 and Dahl cannot show promise as a competent starter draft a safety early in 2012.

Sanders would give us another year to find a starter at safety. But if he plays well the need can be taken away. The way i see it this is a low-risk high reward situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Sanders would give us another year to find a starter at safety. But if he plays well the need can be taken away. The way i see it this is a low-risk high reward situation.
    Cant agree more with this statement. Low Risk/High Reward

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

When Sanders is healthy, he's a game changer. In his prime, he was the best defensive player in the NFL IMO. If he could be had at a minimal, incentive laden contract, I'd love to see if he could resurect his career.

That said, he will be 30 this week, is past his prime and has a body that can not stay healthy. Regardless of why the injuries happen, they happen with systematic regularity. Over the course of his entire career, he's averaged less than 7 games a year because of repeated injuries, with the last 3 seasons being extremely telling. I honestly don't see the Rams having anything to do with Sanders and all his baggage.

Per SportingNews:

Speculation has begun about where S Bob Sanders could end up after being cut by the Colts on Friday. Reports Saturday indicated the Patriots, Rams, Seahawks and ***** could have interest in the injury-prone Sanders, who missed 39 regular-season games the past three years.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Can't agree more with this statement. Low Risk/High Reward.
    If such is the case (low risk), get him on the phone, pronto!

The more I read about Sanders the more I confirm his tendency to be benched, injured, or play injured.

In seven seasons, i.e., 112 NFL reg. games, Sanders has 6 INTs. He also...

* Has played 43% of those games, or 48. Wow. As follows:
    * Missed all but one game last year.
    * Played two games in 2009.
    * Ditto six games in 2008.
    * Ditto four games in 2006.
    * Ditto six in 2004.
    * Missed other games here / there but, okay, so does every other pro football player.

He's got to be close to having used all of his sick days by now.

By the same token, it's clear this little monster (5'-8") is a playmaker, definitely.

So to calculate X (risk factor) = Price x Potential ÷ Health + Age ÷ Experience

I hope the Rams get this equation right. I think the Sanders risk might be worth it.

Last edited by RealRam; -02-21-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Math

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Per SportingNews:
    Okay, so, speculation is that the Rams could be interested. Not that they are, but that they could be. You could say that of just about any team, because it's essentially a guess. When they actually are interested, based on information from within the team, then it'll be noteworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Okay, so, speculation is that the Rams could be interested. Not that they are, but that they could be. You could say that of just about any team, because it's essentially a guess. When they actually are interested, based on information from within the team, then it'll be noteworthy.
    Chill out bro. Just passing along something that I read. At what point in my post did I say the Rams ARE interested? Not like I posted
    I read this on the sportingnews that the rams are interested.

I saw something with our team name mentioned in it, so I passed it along.

Apologies.

At what point was I not "chill?" I'm simply pointing out that you're passing along what is essentially a guess that anyone could make. It's not news, but often times is mistaken for some kind of legitimate information. Let's talk when a team source confirms actual interest exists.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Sanders said when he started playing the style he plays means he's going to get hurt. A lot. (And he's proven himself right, with him missing 64 games while only playing 48 over the course of his NFL career. He's lost most (or all) of 5 of his 7 NFL seasons due to injury.

He isn't an injury risk, he's an injury guarantee. Ten times worse than Alexander.

Pass, pass, pass, a thousand times pass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast