Thread: Bobby Carpenter

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Bobby Carpenter

It appears Dallas has looked into trading Bobby Carpenter. He hasn't done much in the Cowboy's 3-4 scheme but if I am not mistaken he was a dominant SAM linebacker in Ohio State's 4-3 scheme. Any interest in this guy?

DANA POINT, Calif. – The Cowboys have looked into the possibility of trading linebacker Bobby Carpenter, according to sources, but might be more reluctant to move the former first-round pick with Kevin Burnett's departure.

Burnett signed a two-year deal with San Diego earlier this month, leaving Carpenter as the top backup on the roster and a leading candidate to take over Burnett's role in the substitute defensive packages.

The 18th overall pick in 2006, Carpenter has been credited with just seven tackles in the last two seasons, spending most of his time at special teams, where he has made 30 tackles in the last two seasons.

Carpenter is scheduled to earn an $885,000 base salary this season. He has yet to cash in on a $1.895 million incentive based on playing time, which could make a trade more difficult if he did not re-work his contract.

While Cowboys coaches want Carpenter to be more physical, he has shown in preseason work he can cover tight ends and running backs. He also has experience rushing the passer.

In addition to Carpenter at inside linebacker, the Cowboys have starters Bradie James and free-agent addition Keith Brooking and special teamer Steve Octavien.

tdog08 is offline Registered User

Re: Bobby Carpenter

He isn't great but if we could get him for a 4th or 5th then sure

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I'd be interested if it was a second day pick. While he has been playing out of position and behind some pretty good players, ie bradie james, zach thomas, and ekuban, I still am not too hyped up on him. You have to remember he played next to AJ Hawk who took a lot of the offensive focus off him and made him look better. But hey, I guess I would rather have him than any other SOLB on our roster at this point, so 4th or 5th would be fine by me.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I would do it he is a solid player in the wrong scheme for him IMO

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I'm all for bringing him in for at least a 4th rounder.

I think he could flourish in Spagnuolo's system and that Spags could get a lot out of him. Carpenter just isn't a great fit in Dallas. Atleast bringing him in would give us more competition.
    RamsFan16

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I can't imagine Dallas just letting him walk for a 4th but if they will, make the deal.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Trade Pisa for Him, No picks Unless the 7th rd pick.
    The Rams have to many needs. To give up to much for a player that has shown nothing at the NFL level.
    We could use a Sam linebacker . Pisa is a Weakside LB a backup to Witherspoons new position.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I'd be interested if it was a second day pick. While he has been playing out of position and behind some pretty good players, ie bradie james, zach thomas, and ekuban, I still am not too hyped up on him. You have to remember he played next to AJ Hawk who took a lot of the offensive focus off him and made him look better. But hey, I guess I would rather have him than any other SOLB on our roster at this point, so 4th or 5th would be fine by me.
    I agree, but history shows that he needs to be beside a strong MLB to free him up to make plays. He's never been that physical which is why the Cowboys were mad but they should have seen that in game tape, he's the type of guy that needs a strong MLB so if we have that in place (which we don't) then we don't need to make the move unless we have plans that I do not know about.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I don't know. Did any of you watch Hard Knocks on HBO? His own team mates called him soft and stated he didnt like contact even Zach Thomas was banging on the guy. The respect of your peers rings true in the NFL. So I would rather just draft a LB in the upcoming draft.
    Just Fix It