Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Bowe should be St. Louis's #1 Target this off-season

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Bowe should be St. Louis's #1 Target this off-season

After mulling over our woes of the 2012 season I've come to some conclusions.

First, we are set at defense with a few tweaks we should return next season with a few additions and another year in the system and terminology we should return as good or better than we were in 2012.
    Second and most importantly we need to improve our offense more than anything this offseason to improve our point output and efficentcy on 1st and 2nd down to improve our 3rd down percentage.
    The second being points that both Jeff Fisher and Kevin Demoff have already made.

With that being said we should BRING BACK Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola, Robert Turner (great interior swing man), and secure a deal with Dwayne Bowe.

That being said I like Bowe for many reasons:
    -He'll probably be less of a contract that a Jennings/Wallace would command since he is coming off a non stellar season which is a perfect time to nab him.
    -Demoff has already said he can move aorund money if the right FA is there.
    -I'd imagine a new positive enviroment than what he is in right now would do wonders for him with the Rams being a team on the upside and motivation.
    -He'll be a better fit for our teams demeanor. When do you ever hear anything negative from him?
    -It will finally give Sam a legit #1 WR that he can rely on must have situations.
    - it will roll coverages to Bowe in which the rest of our WR's ( no more triple teaming Danny on third down situations lol) will have more favorable match ups 1v1.
    - it will obviously open up the run more than it was in 2012.

Imagine this as our lineup:
    WR#1: Bowe
    WR#2: Givens, Quick
    WR#3 (Slot): Danny
    WR#4: Pettis
    WR#5: unsigned FA/ late round Draft pick/ Maybe Gibson?

That is a pretty solid lineup if you ask me with plenty of weapons for Sam, especially for down the field throws, 3rd down situations, and Red Zone situations. Greatest Show on Turf WR crew? no, but damn good!

We do need to improve our O-Line in the draft and maybe pick up a nice compliment to our Lance Kendricks.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Bowe should be St. Louis's #1 Target this off-season

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post

-He'll probably be less of a contract that a Jennings/Wallace would command since he is coming off a non stellar season which is a perfect time to nab him.

-I'd imagine a new positive enviroment than what he is in right now would do wonders for him with the Rams being a team on the upside and motivation.
    I disagree with your first point(how is this possible? disagreeing twice in one day? is this the apocalypse?)
    Bowe might of had a down year, but Jennings was injured for almost the entire year and is older, which i would assume would make him a cheaper target then Bowe or Wallace. I see it as Jennings being the cheapest, Bowe next, then Wallace asking for the highest price.

I do agree though a new environment might be needed for him and might help motivate him, especially on a team where he would be the clear #1.
    ManofGod and Haste like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

He was hurt and did not play in three games. He still had 801 yards and three TD. He did not have an off year, it's safe to say he would have matched his 2011 numbers if he did not get hurt.

After being unable to work out a long-term deal ahead of the 2012 season, Bowe reluctantly signed a one-year, $9.5 million contract after holding out up to the third preseason game.
    He is looking for a big time deal 55 Mil like Vincent Jackson.... he will get 50 Mil IMO... not in our budget IMO... well see.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

ludairv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    After mulling over our woes of the 2012 season I've come to some conclusions.

First, we are set at defense with a few tweaks we should return next season with a few additions and another year in the system and terminology we should return as good or better than we were in 2012.
    Second and most importantly we need to improve our offense more than anything this offseason to improve our point output and efficentcy on 1st and 2nd down to improve our 3rd down percentage.
    The second being points that both Jeff Fisher and Kevin Demoff have already made.

With that being said we should BRING BACK Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola, Robert Turner (great interior swing man), and secure a deal with Dwayne Bowe.

-Demoff has already said he can move aorund money if the right FA is there.
    -He'll be a better fit for our teams demeanor. When do you ever hear anything negative from him?
    -It will finally give Sam a legit #1 WR that he can rely on must have situations.
    - it will roll coverages to Bowe in which the rest of our WR's ( no more triple teaming Danny on third down situations lol) will have more favorable match ups 1v1.
    - it will obviously open up the run more than it was in 2012.

Imagine this as our lineup:
    WR#1: Bowe
    WR#2: Givens, Quick
    WR#3 (Slot): Danny
    WR#4: Pettis
    WR#5: unsigned FA/ late round Draft pick/ Maybe Gibson?

That is a pretty solid lineup if you ask me with plenty of weapons for Sam, especially for down the field throws, 3rd down situations, and Red Zone situations. Greatest Show on Turf WR crew? no, but damn good!

We do need to improve our O-Line in the draft and maybe pick up a nice compliment to our Lance Kendricks.
    LOL this is impossible we cant sign anyone major with only 10mil cap room space and still we need to resign some of our UFA's. Boy and you thought drafting two safties was dumb? lol please check Bernie Miklasz interview podcast (101espn) with Kevin Demoff, and his break down of our cap situation ( Jan.3rd) , our cap situtaion rules out any of those kind of acquisitions The interview would really enlighten everyone on this board...
    Last edited by ludairv; -01-04-2013 at 11:34 PM.

ManofGod is online now Registered User

Minus CAP concerns, here is an interesting review of Bowe's overall skills & it is pretty accurate based on what I've seen over the years:

Dwayne Bowe, WR, Chiefs. Age: 28.
    Dwayne Bowe is one of the most overrated players in the NFL. He consistently posts solid fantasy numbers, so people think he's better than he really is. The box score doesn't show that Bowe constantly drops passes and is responsible for way too many interceptions. He's a very good No. 2 wideout, but he's too unreliable to be a top option.

What do you guys think????

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

We kept 5 receivers in the our depth chart this season. I expect that to be the same in the next one. I'm not really sold on Bowe and one thing that wouldn't surprise me is if we don't nab a new WR in the offseason. One thing many people don't acknowledge is the team chemistry between a QB and his receivers; with Sam most likely having continuity with is receivers and the system, don't be surprised if he takes it to the next level with them, especially with Pettis. He's starting to live up to his draft expectations as a red zone threat. If I'm looking to replace a receiver in this current roster, it'd be Gibson since he looks to be at his ceiling and we could certainly replace him with Pettis there.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Minus CAP concerns, here is an interesting review of Bowe's overall skills & it is pretty accurate based on what I've seen over the years:

Dwayne Bowe is one of the most overrated players in the NFL. He consistently posts solid fantasy numbers, so people think he's better than he really is. The box score doesn't show that Bowe constantly drops passes and is responsible for way too many interceptions. He's a very good No. 2 wideout, but he's too unreliable to be a top option.

I agree with this analysis as he is inconsistent and his drop rate is always near the top of the league. The one silver lining with him though is that he has been playing with arguably the worst QB situation in the NFL the last few seasons and has still been able to be a difference maker and put up respectable numbers. Also, Larry Fitzgerald goes out of his way to say great things about him so that says something for the kind of talent and work ethic that Bowe possesses.

I would still prefer Wallace and maybe even an older Jennings depending on what he does in the playoffs over Bowe. Also, that last paragraph might have just been me trying to talk myself into being happy with a Bowe signing because Wallace would be too difficult or expensive to sign to a long term deal. The bottom line is that this team has gone way too long without having reliable receivers and hoping that number 2's like Avery, Robinson, Mike Sims-Walker(indefensible signing), Amendola and Gibson would turn into reliable targets has produced nothing but disappointment for this offense.

The FO needs to go out and try go get a proven number 1 even if they have some question marks because hoping for potential to turn into actual results has only wasted Bradford's talent and provided disappointment for Rams' fans.
    ManofGod and ZiaRam like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Comes from Walterfootball, so I dont think it has much credibility. No offense to that guy, but the things he usually says come out as him looking idiotic.

I dont think Bowe is a top 10 WR, but he certainly possesses the skills to be one. He needs to be more consistent. His high number of drops is also alarming. But Bowe is a good route runner, and he's very big. He has breakaway speed too. I'd be pleased with Bowe, though I would take Wallace over him. Either or, I think we get a #1 WR that'll help this offense tremendously.

THE DREAM TEAM

ManofGod is online now Registered User

Well I believe based on our conversation that the safest choice(factoring CAP room, potential signing $$$, age, etc.) would be to sign Jennings, use him for 2-3 years to help improve the offense & hopefully help our young WR group mature & hope that one of them can become a true #1 in the future (just like things turned out in Green Bay).
    Tampa_Ram, ZiaRam and Haste like this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Well I believe based on our conversation that the safest choice(factoring CAP room, potential signing $$$, age, etc.) would be to sign Jennings, use him for 2-3 years to help improve the offense & hopefully help our young WR group mature & hope that one of them can become a true #1 in the future (just like things turned out in Green Bay).
    Thats the route i prefer to go if we add a FA wr.
    ManofGod likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

He was hurt and did not play in three games. He still had 801 yards and three TD. He did not have an off year, it's safe to say he would have matched his 2011 numbers if he did not get hurt.

He is looking for a big time deal 55 Mil like Vincent Jackson.... he will get 50 Mil IMO... not in our budget IMO... well see.
    Unaffordable. So its a moot point to debate his skills set. Even if we restructure and cut players it won't provide the money needed to sign Bowe. Thanks Rambos for the common sense.

My feeling is that we'll draft a top notch TE like Eifert or Ertz to beef-up the weapons for Sam and coach up Brian Quick to be the WR we expect him to be.

Go Rams!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Bowe should be St. Louis's #1 Target this off-season

Jermichael Finley is available... I would def go that route to add some firepower.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

If this front office was going to throw 50 mil at a receiver they probably would have gone after Jackson harder last year. I imagine this offseason's free agency period will be pretty quiet for the Rams. We're restructure some contracts to keep the people we have and continue to build through the draft.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    If this front office was going to throw 50 mil at a receiver they probably would have gone after Jackson harder last year. I imagine this offseason's free agency period will be pretty quiet for the Rams. We're restructure some contracts to keep the people we have and continue to build through the draft.
    I think this is the most likely approach, and I agree with this philosophy as well. The Rams do have many needs to address still on both sides of the ball. Yet, even a marginal upgrade of Craig Dahl and McIntosh/Haggan will improve the defense dramatically. I also believe that making one or two improvements along the O-line will make everyone better on offense. While the WRs on the roster are not elite, they are young enough to the point that they can be difference makers. Givens looks like he can be a great target and Quick will improve as well. The Rams have alot of options with the draft the next two years. I have faith in the front office to make some smart draft decisions.

If the Rams had the money to sign Bowe I would say go for it, but even with some crafty cap moves, it will be hard to sign our free agents. Plus, there are the draft picks and it would be extremely difficult to fit Bowe into the equation. In a perfect world the Rams would have 30 million to spend this year, but unfortunately things have been far from perfect for the Rams the last 7 years.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think Quick is 100% the x-factor. Remember, we may have been Ram fans for the last 1, 5, or 30 years, but Jeff Fisher and Les Snead have only been in this thing for 1 year now. We may know the pressing need we've had for a legit #1 WR since Torry Holt's departure, but Fisher and Snead are new here. There not being hard pressed into making a big decision like throwing 50-60 million dollars at a Dwayne Bowe or Mike Wallace, especially after drafting Brian Quick with pick #33 and praising him as a reminder of T.O.

I'd love for us to personally go after Wallace or Bowe or even Jennings, but thats because I've been through to many projects to believe one raw prospect is going to turn into some HOF WR. I do believe in Quick, and if he can show some serious strides this off-season, I think Fisher and Snead will keep themselves locked in with Quick and our other guys (also re-sign Amendola).

I guess we will see.
    ManofGod likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast