Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Bowe should be St. Louis's #1 Target this off-season

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Re: Bowe should be St. Louis's #1 Target this off-season

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    If you don't want the Rams to slightly overpay for a bonafide #1 receiver (such as a Bowe, Jennings, or Wallace), then in the future posts you should lose your right to complain that Sam doesn't have anybody good to throw too lol. If your a great WR in the NFL, your either overpaid or still under your rookie salary and will eventually get overpaid. Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, Vincent Jackson... all with huge contracts but would instantly make the Rams a very dangerous team offensively.
    Interesting that out of all those listed Larry, Calvin, Johnson, and White all developed into the talent with their orginal team. We all know why Marshall is on his 3rd team and the only exception is Jackson.

So some of us believe the best route is to develop talent not overpay for it. Now if the Rams were one WR away from becoming an Elite team then by all means do what you have to do. I just hate to see the Rams overpay for one of these guys and then have to give up a talented home grown player because of overpaying for one of these guys. Just my 2 Cents.
    Rambos, DE_Ramfan, ZiaRam and 1 others like this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    Interesting that out of all those listed Larry, Calvin, Johnson, and White all developed into the talent with their orginal team. We all know why Marshall is on his 3rd team and the only exception is Jackson.

So some of us believe the best route is to develop talent not overpay for it. Now if the Rams were one WR away from becoming an Elite team then by all means do what you have to do. I just hate to see the Rams overpay for one of these guys and then have to give up a talented home grown player because of overpaying for one of these guys. Just my 2 Cents.
    I totally 100% agree with your comment; I'd much rather see the Rams draft a WR and develop him into a top of the line #1 receiver than overpay for one. Unfortunately, unless your drafting within the first 10 picks and could grab a Fitzgerald or Megatron, most first round WR's end up being busts or take a couple years to develop. I just get frustrated that people constantly complain how Sam has nobody to throw too... let the Rams develop Givens, Quick, and Pettis first before complaining

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Agreed Bowe and /or Jake long shoyld be our #1 fa target. Not mike wallace
    BarronWade and ZiaRam like this.

richtree is online now Registered User

I am hoping that our big advantage with Bowe is that he doesn't want to move too far away from his current home in KC ---> St Lou would be good option.

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Agreed Bowe and /or Jake long shoyld be our #1 fa target. Not mike wallace
    Jake Long should not be on the Rams radar unless he comes very cheap. He has really struggle this year and has lost confidence. I would stay away from him.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Kazak is offline Registered User

Very astute comment... I there that more than one of the Ram's current roster of recievers will BINGO!!! I think the Ram's need to sign a few of the free agents on their current roster, and clear room under the salary cap for 2014.

Like it or not, professional football is as much about how you handle your salary cap as anything else. And I like it, because it's about being smart, frugal, and seeing the big picture. The New England Patriots do right. Why shouldn't the Rams do it. I would rather have two picks in the last half of the first round than number 1 or 2 pick anyday. The draft bust rate in the first 10 picks is scary high. I am very excited about this years draft, because that is where the Rams will improve, and I think that Fisher and Les Snead are smarter us amuteurs and most of the professionals.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Jake Long should not be on the Rams radar unless he comes very cheap. He has really struggle this year and has lost confidence. I would stay away from him.
    I didn't realize the pats rt was a fa. Long has been struggling. So the Sebastian vollmer might be the better call
    Last edited by RuffRams; -01-08-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Haste is offline Registered User

What is Bradford's cap hit with his salary? Would it be a possibility to ask him to restructure a bit so we have more cap room to sign him weapons?

Pretty sure Manning/Brady did it before among other QB's.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Haste View Post
    What is Bradford's cap hit with his salary? Would it be a possibility to ask him to restructure a bit so we have more cap room to sign him weapons?

Pretty sure Manning/Brady did it before among other QB's.
    I'm pretty sure Sam can't redo his deal until next year.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm pretty sure Sam can't redo his deal until next year.
    I remember trying to find info on this last year. Apparently after your 3rd year in the league you are able to restructure if i am remembering right. But with the new CBA happening the year after Bradford getting drafted, im not sure . I hope he can and that they will restructure it.

And upon looking about, was reminded that they did restructure his contract last May, but just a tiny bit-

May 27, 2012
    Bradford will still earn $12 million and his $15.595 million cap number for 2012 is unchanged, but the two sides have changed how the $12 million will be delivered. As part of a renegotiation from May 9, half of the $12 million in base salary was converted to a roster bonus that was paid on May 11. The remaining $6 million will be paid out in base salary during the 2012 season.

also-

May 29, 2012
    The Sports Xchange Restructured Bradford deal includes $20M guaranteed
    Sam Bradford restructured his rookie contract to soften the cap charge for the Rams over the final two years of his deal, Aaron Wilson of Scout.com reported.

Bradford can earn $48 million over the remaining four years of the contract, including $20 million in guaranteed money, with his salary cap figure escalating to $16.6 million in the final year of the deal in 2015.
    Bradford is guaranteed $14 million over the next two seasons. He received a $6 million roster bonus on May 11.
    Per Wilson's source, the final two years of the deal aren't guaranteed -- $14 million base salary in 2014 and $13 million in 2015.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I remember trying to find info on this last year. Apparently after your 3rd year in the league you are able to restructure if i am remembering right. But with the new CBA happening the year after Bradford getting drafted, im not sure . I hope he can and that they will restructure it.
    The current CBA extended the time in which you have to wait to restructure rookie contracts from two years to three years. So, they could approach Sam to do it this year.

You're right in that Bradford did tweak his contract a bit earlier this year, but according to Mike Sando's write up about it in May, "In speaking with people familiar with the deal, Bradford still gets $51 million in the first four years, with $50 million guaranteed. The future guarantees disappeared, anyway (upon exercise of an option in 2010). Sounds like there were some changes in language, but nothing of consequence."

Bradford is scheduled to make $9 million in salary next season, $14.015 million in 2014, and $12.985 million in 2015. It'd be great to see him convert some of that salary to bonus money that can prorate over the remaining three years, and thus reduce his 2013 cap number. Then, assuming there aren't significant setbacks in 2013, the Rams could approach him about an extension to lock him up beyond the remaining two years, but also perhaps reduce that 2014 salary as well.

The Rams got themselves a promising quarterback when they drafted Sam Bradford, it's just a shame it happened before the rookie wage scale set in. According to Business Insider, the Rams can claim two of the Top 5 highest paid players in the league right now between Bradford and Chris Long. It's great to have quality players locked up long term, but I think that information combined with other contracts and Demoff's statement about anticipating only $10 million or so in cap space (a number that will likely go up as the Rams make some personnel decisions but not significantly) is going to force some of us (myself included) to come to the realization that a few others have been operating under already - it's probably going to be a quiet free agency period for the Rams.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The current CBA extended the time in which you have to wait to restructure rookie contracts from two years to three years. So, they could approach Sam to do it this year.

You're right in that Bradford did tweak his contract a bit earlier this year, but according to Mike Sando's write up about it in May, "In speaking with people familiar with the deal, Bradford still gets $51 million in the first four years, with $50 million guaranteed. The future guarantees disappeared, anyway (upon exercise of an option in 2010). Sounds like there were some changes in language, but nothing of consequence."

Bradford is scheduled to make $9 million in salary next season, $14.015 million in 2014, and $12.985 million in 2015. It'd be great to see him convert some of that salary to bonus money that can prorate over the remaining three years, and thus reduce his 2013 cap number. Then, assuming there aren't significant setbacks in 2013, the Rams could approach him about an extension to lock him up beyond the remaining two years, but also perhaps reduce that 2014 salary as well.

The Rams got themselves a promising quarterback when they drafted Sam Bradford, it's just a shame it happened before the rookie wage scale set in. According to Business Insider, the Rams can claim two of the Top 5 highest paid players in the league right now between Bradford and Chris Long. It's great to have quality players locked up long term, but I think that information combined with other contracts and Demoff's statement about anticipating only $10 million or so in cap space (a number that will likely go up as the Rams make some personnel decisions but not significantly) is going to force some of us (myself included) to come to the realization that a few others have been operating under already - it's probably going to be a quiet free agency period for the Rams.
    Thanks Nick.

I still don't think the Rams will be pushing money due into the future we shall see.

As far as Sam getting paid on the old CBA deal that does suck. But with the trade for RG3, that allows us to get two additional first rounders under contract at reduced rates. As free agents will cost teams more we will add hopefully two starters at a reduce rate.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

I really do not want to get off topic but I do not think it's fair to compare Cassel to Quinn, Huard and etc....

Cassel is No Where CLOSE to being a HOA quarterback. However, to lump him in the class of Quinn and Huard is unfair.

Cassel major flaw and reason he is not starting in the NFL is his high turnovers and decision making.

2012 Started 9 Games 12 INT 9 FUM 1796 yds
    2011 Started 9 Games 9 INT 5 FUM 1713 yds
    2010 Started 15 Games 7 INT 3 FUM 3116 yds
    2009 Started 15 Games 16 INT 4 FUM 2924 yds

Cassel averages a respectable 200 passing yards per game.

My point was that since Cassel average a respectable 200 yards passing per game it would be reasonable to assume Bowe could put up decent numbers on a consistent basis.

Regarding the drops is that base on total drops or percentage and is it for 2013. I would like to see those numbers.

Go Rams

The amount of yards Cassel throws has nothing to do with this conversation. Bradford had 3700 yards but no receiver had over 700 yards receiving. Cutler had 3,000 yards and Marshall had like 1500 yards with no other receiver obtaining over 400 yards. Receiving yards has to do with many things, not just the skill of the QB. Cutler really only had trust in Marshall which explains why he had half of Cutler's 3,000 yards. Bowe's numbers could be influenced by the amount of trust Cassel had in Bowe as well as his skill set. It is not just all because of Cassel. Also, I never made a comparison between Cassel and all the other Chiefs' QBs. I was simply stating that Bowe has had like 8 different QBs throwing to him. It was a list, simple as that. Finally, the list I looked at was total drops. Bowe was targeted 114 times this year and dropped 5 passes.

Quote Originally Posted by RamBamThankYouMam View Post
    So are you an advocate of resigning Danny Amendola? If you are in the camp to resign Amendola then I am confused by your logic. Amendola has missed like 17 games in his 4 year career, while Bowe has missed 8 games in his 6 year career. If Bowe is high risk then Amendola is scary risky. I understand Bowe has some undesirable attributes but none that I would consider high risk. Yes, he drops some passes but so does every single current WR on the Rams.

Bowe is not overrated in the least. He has had Cassel, Quinn, Palko, Thigpen, Croyle, and Huard throwing to him over the last 6 years. Not exactly guys that are setting the world on fire in terms of QBs. I am not suggesting he is a top 10 WR, but to suggest he is overrated seems a little harsh to me. Adding Bowe to the current crop of WRs would not only give Bradford another weapon, but would make every WR on the team that much better.

I do agree with your point that adding O-lineman is the smartest option to make this offense better. It will improve every facet of the Rams offense. However, if the Rams could afford to add Bowe I would be just as much of an advocate for this move as well.
    You made it part of the discussion and now that it does not fit well you want to eliminate it. I find you very amuzing cause your latest argument actually supports my position better than yours....

Go Rams

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

You made it part of the discussion and now that it does not fit well you want to eliminate it. I find you very amuzing cause your latest argument actually supports my position better than yours....

Go Rams
    That comment simply means that he is not a great QB like any other player on that list. Is he better than all of them? Sure, but that doesn't mean he is good as you are trying to make him out to be. And why are you doing that? To try and support your original point that Bowe is too high risk and inconsistent, which he is clearly not. Cassel has had ONE good year as the Chiefs QB. Trying to refute that is just you lying to yourself. Having a lot of drops doesn't mean you are a bad WR. I have looked at lists that include both total drops and drop percentage and both lists include many top 10 WRs in the league. If you are thrown to a lot it just means you have more of a chance of dropping the ball. My point supports nothing of yours. You think Bowe is not worth the Rams picking up which multiple people have disagreed with already. I feel very secure with my point. Maybe if Bowe had more consistency and more talent at the QB position he would be more consistent in your eyes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast