berg8309 is offline Registered User

BPA only mock draft

Just for fun, I thought I'd do a Best Player Available Only draft.This means that teams will take whoever the BPA regardless of need. I thought it would be interesting to see if the draft worked out ok that way anyway. I personally did not come up with a draft board, so I am going to use McShay's top 32 from ESPN. Why? Because why not, that's why.

1. Indianapolis Colt - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

This is the consensus top pick, and has been for a long long time, it wasn't going to change even in this style draft.

2. Washington Redskins - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Again, duh.

3. Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil, LT, USC

Still not hard, although the Vikings keep pretending like they aren't interested. They are like that shy boy in highschool who hints at girls that everyone knows who he likes, but he hints that he likes other girls to try to do whatever, idk, it's been a while since I've been in highschool. Just shut up and pick Kalil.

4. Cleveland Brown - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

Still no surprises, or even a change from about 98% of mock drafts.

5. Tampa Bay Bucs - Morris Clairborne, CB, LSU

See above.

6. St. Louis Rams - Fletcher Cox, DT, Miss. St.

What what what!?!?! Kidding, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Rams take Cox.Not at all. It would make a lot of fans upset though.

7. Jacksonville Jags - Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College

This is the first questionable pick of the draft. The Jags need help on the defensive line and WR, not so much at linebacker. With Blackmon sitting there, this is a questionable Gabbert is too aloof to care though, and brushes his princess hair.

8. Miami Dolphins - Melvin Ingram, DE, S. Carolina

The Dolphins could use a new WR after having traded Brandon Marshall for a hotdog and some spoiled beer, and once again, Blackmon is still on the board.So is Tannehill, but the Dolphins NEVER get what they want, and they want Tannehill, so they will somehow be unable to draft him even when he is available.

9. Carolina Panthers - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

Ok, come on, admit it, this is pretty funny. Stupid, but funny. Carolina wishes McShay weren't making the picks for them, but that's what they get for having ugly uniforms. Also, Tannehill is actually a top 10 talent? Come on McShay, don't make your board based on pure hype.

10. Buffalo Bills -Justin Blackmon, WR, Okla. St.

This one makes a certain amount of sense.Yes the Bills could use a new tackle, but giving Fitz another weapon wouldn't be all bad.

11. Kansas City Chiefs - Mark Barron, S, Alabama

Maybe KC isn't convinced that Berry is all that and a bag of chips, or maybe they just took their stupid pill the morning of the draft. Not a good pick at all.

12. Seachickens - David DeCastro, G, Stanford

The consensus best guard in the draft and the stupid seachickens get him.  I hope he sucks.

13. Arizona Cardinals - Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

A lot of mocks have Keuchly going here, but with him off the board the Cards still get a good ILB to counter-act Willis and JLau. I hope he sucks too.

14. Dallas Cowboys - Quinton Coples, DE, N. Carolina

I don't think Coples is a good fit for Dallas personally, but you can never have enough pass-rushers, and Ware ain't no spring chicken no more.

15. Philadelphia Eagles - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

I don't like DLs out of LSU, they don't seem to live up to their billing.Philly could use line help, and Reiff is on the board, but Andy Reid just said they will stop drafting for need and take the top player on their board, no ifs andys or buts about it.Whoops.

16. New York Jets - Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse

Instead of a player, the Jets should draft a muzzle for Rex Ryan. Or maybe try to draft a logical approach to building a team, developing a QB, or not creating controversy. Instead they get Jones, it's an alright pick, and some people actually are mocking Jones here. I like my ideas better.

17. Cincinatti Bengals - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

Floyd will look nice next to Green, that would be a tough duo to compete against. They can thank the Raiders desperation for a mediocre QB for this pick.

18. San Diego Chargers - Riley Reiff, LT, Iowa

Chargers need tackles. Chargers get tackle. Chargers happy.

19. Chicago Bears - Stephone Gilmore, CB, S. Carolina

Blah blah, makes sense, tired of trying to write something witty for un-witty picks.

20. Tennessee Titans - Dontarie Poe, DT, Memphis

I think CB is a bigger need with Finnegan gone, and Kirkpatrick would be nice here Sadly for the Titans they are forced to stick to the BPA as determined by McShay and get Poe. It's not terrible value, just not the best fit either.

21. Cincinatti Bengals- Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia

Isn't this like the player every on earth predicts the Browns will take with the next pick? I wonder if Heckert will cry to the media about this too.

22. Cleveland Browns - Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan St.

The Browns are furious with the Rams for not trading with them so they can get out from under the crushing weight that is McCoy. So they take the guy that they saw was mocked to the Rams on ClanRam, and feel pretty smug about it too.

23. Detroit Lions - Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise St.

I'll be honest, I don't know much about this player.So um....this is awkward......moving on then...

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

The Steelers could use some cornerbacks, and Kirkpatrick is actually a good pick. He'll help keep the Steelers vaunted defense rolling. Unfortunately the Steelers are unable to afford to sign him. Sucks for them!

25. Denver Broncos - Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama

Just how many Bama defensive players are going to go in the first round!?This seems a curious pick, as Denver doesn't need much help at rushing OLB, they could have used a DT. BPA available though, so they have to take him.

26. Houston Texans - Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

Wright may tumble on some boards due to his strength and conditioning problem as of late. However, the Texans do need some help at WR, so they get it. That or a guard, depends on how often Wrights hits up the late night fast food over summer.

27. New England Patrios - Jonathon Martin, OT, Stanford

Come on, we all know this is literally impossible. The patriots will trade down 15-20 times in the draft to try to gather all future 7th round picks. And they will still someone get everyone on defense elected to the pro bowl despite being the worst defense in the league. I hate the fans/media. Tangent aside, this pick doesn't make a ton of sense, but it's belicheat, the "genius", he can do his own thing.

28. Green Bay Packers - Janoris Jenkins, CB, N. Alabama

Maybe getting out of the south with help Jenkins off-field stuff, or maybe being in Green Bay will drive him crazy. He could certainly help the GB defense, which isn't that great, although there are other positions they could use upgrades at more.

29. Baltimore Ravens - Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame

Ed Reed is getting up there in age, so I guess the Ravens want to get his successor on the team. Still, Ed should have a few good years left, and I'm not high on Smith as a 1st round pick. McShay says otherwise.

30. San Fran Whiners - Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

I actually don't mind this so much because I think Hill is a major project, which gives him a lot of bust potential.I hope he sucks.

31. Patriots again - Andre Branch, DE, Clemson

Actually the Pats could use some help at pass rush to take some pressure off their terrible pass coverage. But again, we all know they will trade down at least one of these picks, if not both.

32. New York Giants - Mike Adams, OT, Ohio St.

The Giants could use a guard more than a tackle, but maybe they plan to move Adams inside. Or maybe they are still drunk from that SB win. Probably still drunk.

So what do you all think? It's just an example of sticking to a strict board.Sometimes it appears to work, othertimes (Panthers) it doesn't work at all. Give me your thoughts.
    Last edited by berg8309; -04-19-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Re: BPA only mock draft

Also, given the draft, who would you want the Rams to take with the first pick of the 2nd round?

richtree is offline Registered User

You contradict yourself all over this thing.....BPA then you pick on need and move players up and down for other reasons.....Tannehill is not #9 BPA on any board

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    You contradict yourself all over this thing.....BPA then you pick on need and move players up and down for other reasons.....Tannehill is not #9 BPA on any board
    He literally took McShay's Top 32 and assigned them to the first-round draft order. As in, McShay's #25th ranked player is going to the team picking 25th. So yes, it would appear Tannehill is #9 on at least one board.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    As Nick said above. Sometimes the board lined up with need, other times not. Sometimes teams find themselves staring at the #1 player on their board who just so happens to be at a position of need. And Tannehil is indeed #9 on McShay's, note my comment that I think it is ridiculous. Also hilarious that it lined up with the Panthers.