Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Bradford Contract: Which is the more reasonable statement?

Here are two recent comments regarding the Rams' ability to sign Sam Bradford if they draft him in Round 1:

First, Statement #1:
    Bradford’s contract strategy already is the topic of brewing of speculation in NFL circles. There’s chatter that Bradford will refuse to sign a deal with the Rams before the draft. If Bradford doesn’t sign in advance, he gains leverage — because the Rams would be under the gun to get their franchise QB into a routine as soon as possible to maximize his rookie-year development. If Bradford held out a long time — even as far as holding out from training camp — it would be a public-relations nightmare for the Rams.
    Kind of a scary prospect, huh? Makes you wonder whether the Rams should take Bradford, doesn't it?

Now here's Statement #1:
    Again, much overreaction over very little. The Rams are prepared to pay what it takes to sign Bradford. If his agents want to play a little game, good for them. But he'll get signed. The agent gains leverage if Bradford waits until after the draft to talk contract.
    Well, that one isn't too bad, is it? Sounds like this commentator is aware of the possible bargaining tactics, but isn't too worried about it impacting the Rams' ability to select and sign Bradford.

These two statements were published within hours of each other.

So... who is the author of Statement #1?

Bernie Miklasz.

And... who is the author of Statement #2?

Bernie Miklasz.

WHAT!??!?!? How could this be? How could the same person publish a nightmare scenario in one article, then post on his message board that the Rams aren't worried about such scenarios??????

Could it be that he (along with several other writers from tabloid sites like PFT and from wishful-thinking Washington sportswriters) is just trying to stir up some controversy to keep interest up in the three weeks remaining before the draft?

Who cares about honesty, real sources, or reasoned analysis. Just throw a bunch of crap against the wall and see if it sticks.

If the Rams don't take Bradford (and I'd say its about a 95% chance that they will), it will be either because they get a "can't refuse" trade offer or because something happens to call Bradford's health into question. They're not going to pass on the guy because they're worried that his agent will try to get top dollar. That is entirely expected.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford Contract: Which is the more reasonable statement?

I agree with everything you said Av, but you know me, I worry about every little thing. It just pains me to see speculation like this for the Rams. It seems like it's never smooth-sailing for us, there's always drama and it stresses us fans out. I know that there is more than likely little to no merit with half of these articles but it does make one wonder...

I'm not going to say, "Well, if Bradford or his agent aren't commenting on this it obviously isn't true." but at the same time I'm not going to believe everything I read...

As a fan you can't help but be excited to think perhaps we have our QB of the Future and I'd just like to not have so much other crap attached to it.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

rams_man13 is offline Registered User

I don't see why Bradford wouldn't sign a deal with the Rams. We'll probably offer him an 80 million dollar, 6 year deal with 45 million guaranteed. This is probably the last year he'll get that kind of money as I expect a rookie pay-scale to come in. He'd be stupid to hold out and re-enter the draft next year because not only will he be picked later, he'll also make much less money. He also doesn't seem like the type and he and Spags have met a couple times and seem to get along pretty well (Spags was the first NFL rep to congratulate Bradford after his workout). Also, in all the interviews, Bradford talks about how he'd fit in well for the Rams.

I'm not worried, I think Bradford and the Rams will have an agreement in place before his workout and it will get signed after the private workout, 3 days before the draft. They'll negotiate with Suh, and take calls for the pick just in case, but I don't expect this to be a problem.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    So... who is the author of Statement #1?

Bernie Miklasz.

And... who is the author of Statement #2?

Bernie Miklasz.

WHAT!??!?!?
    You dont know how hard im laughing right now. People at the library are starring at me.

ludairv is offline Registered User

the more i read about washington and shanahans expertise...the more i worrty that maybe he is a better fit there but i doubt the rams will let it slide

The "better fit" stuff is speculation as well.

How about this one...

Would Bradford, who is part Cherokee, want to play for the "Redskins"???

Oooooooooh.... intriguing!

Or not.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The "better fit" stuff is speculation as well.

How about this one...

Would Bradford, who is part Cherokee, want to play for the "Redskins"???

Oooooooooh.... intriguing!

Or not.
    Well, we can certainly rule out the Cowboys then. And I bet he can't wait to get a shot at Buffalo; he'll kill 'em!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Or... maybe Bradford is worried that he'll get sacked more in St. Louis. After all, the Rams must have given up more sacks than the Redskins last year, right?

Wrong.

Rams: 44 sacks allowed in 583 pass attempts.

Redskins: 46 sacks allowed in 579 pass attempts.

Or... maybe Bradford is worried that he'll get sacked more in St. Louis. After all, the Rams must have given up more sacks than the Redskins last year, right?

Wrong.

Rams: 44 sacks allowed in 583 pass attempts.

Redskins: 46 sacks allowed in 579 pass attempts.
    lmao man i love u modulators...keep this board grounded....man these rumors are hectic!.... i just hope this damn ownership thing plays out well and soon....gawd i hate Adam Shefter

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Very nice thread

Avenger your on a roll today

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    lmao man i love u modulators...keep this board grounded....man these rumors are hectic!.... i just hope this damn ownership thing plays out well and soon....gawd i hate Adam Shefter
    You know, Schefter did say we were taking your boy Bradford back a couple of months ago.

EDIT-and I would like to know if we do have a "no we're not going above this" salary number on the first round pick. If Bradford insists on $85-$90 million and there is no price ceiling, well....hopefully there isn't a salary cap any time soon.

/Personally, I'd get firm numbers from both Suh and McCoy and tell Bradford, "we're paying you in the vicinity of this."
    Last edited by PeoriaRam; -03-30-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    You know, Schefter did say we were taking your boy Bradford back a couple of months ago.
    ya and apparently everyone else is now....: S guess he lucked out? lol

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I can also be a rebel and say in 20 years I'll still be alive and wearing a hat, if im right, if anyone remembered me saying it, it'd be at least weird or thought provoking. if im wrong, who cares?

Schefter just heard from Devaney that the Rams were very interested in Bradford from some guy in the Rams camp. Seems to have got it right, yay....

AV beat me to the sack number but Redskins had most of their starters the entire season including Campbell. We tallied a ridiculous amount of sacks in a few games including 8 in one game because our line was utterly depleted..

Kind of says alot when their guy still gets sacked more than ours.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    I can also be a rebel and say in 20 years I'll still be alive and wearing a hat, if im right, if anyone remembered me saying it, it'd be at least weird or thought provoking. if im wrong, who cares?

Schefter just heard from Devaney that the Rams were very interested in Bradford from some guy in the Rams camp. Seems to have got it right, yay....

AV beat me to the sack number but Redskins had most of their starters the entire season including Campbell. We tallied a ridiculous amount of sacks in a few games including 8 in one game because our line was utterly depleted..

Kind of says alot when their guy still gets sacked more than ours.
    Not necessarily. Did Washington change their entire offense prior to the start of the season to emphasize, almost exclusively, quickly developing short pass plays and handing off to the tailback? Sacks alone don't tell the whole story.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Here are some recent QB deals signed

Jamarcus Russell 68 mil with, 31.5mil guaranteed
    Matthew Stafford 72 mil(could be 78), 41 mil guaranteed
    Ben Roethlisberger 102 mil 33.2 mil guaranteed
    Philip Rivers 98 mil 38.2 mil guaranteed
    Eli Manning 107 mil 35 mil guaranteed

My guess is Bradford is going to make 75-80 mil. The guaranteed money is where there is going to be hangups IMO. He is going to make 41 plus, but how much more is going to be where the hangup is, especially with Rivers being the most recently signed deal. Russell to Stafford went up 10 mil in guaranteed. It Will ultimately end being somewhere between 41-52 mil but it could be a struggle to get there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast