Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    richtree is offline Registered User

Bradford vs. Pike

I personally think Pike gives better value in round 2 than Bradford being a top 5 pick.

I would ask that we keep our thoughts limited to this subject and not bring in any other QBs.

I personally think that Pike is almost as good as Bradford and definatly think Pike has a much higher ceiling.

I would like to hear an analysis of both sides of their abilites and why Bradford is better, or maybe why Pike is just as good.

I will start it off.

I think From huddle to Point of Release Pike is a better leader, better form, stands taller on his toes the way Brady does and uses less effort to get the ball out of his release point.

I am 100% open to both Quarterbacks, so please don't take this as a Bradford bashing post.

I do think Bradford has better balance than Pike but use more of his frame to get rid of the ball, especially on the deep ball.

So, take a quick refresher at so youtube videos of both Pike and Bradford and let me know what you think.

A good comparison would be a good conversation until we sign our fisrt free agent, regardless if its AJ Feeley or not ., lol !

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bradford vs. Pike

The only way I can express the difference in the accuracy of these two QBs is to say that if Bradford is a laser-sighted high powered rifle, Pike is a sawed-off shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The only way I can express the difference in the accuracy of these two QBs is to say that if Bradford is a laser-sighted high powered rifle, Pike is a sawed-off shotgun.

OK, AV....good start. So of all the attributes you would definately give Bradford a clear cut edge.

What about the other attributes ?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I think my feelings about Pike can be summed up from watching his performance in the game against Pittsburgh. At the start of the game, he was just plain awful. Bill Stull looked like a better prospect. Then, he rallied and brought his team back.

That's kind of how I see Pike. Sometimes he looks great, sometimes truly bad.

In terms of a comparison, in my opinion if you take away the injury/durability issue, Bradford is clearly the best all-around QB prospect in the draft.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

As a senior, Pike almost lost his starting job to a freshman when he returned from injury. Even during the Big East championship game the announcers wondered if he'd still be the starter after halftime. I'm not qualified to analyze anyone's throwing motion, intelligence, football smarts or anything like that but THAT'S the sort of situation that would scare me to death. If you are really an NFL viable QB option, there is no question ever about you losing the job to a college freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    As a senior, Pike almost lost his starting job to a freshman when he returned from injury. Even during the Big East championship game the announcers wondered if he'd still be the starter after halftime. I'm not qualified to analyze anyone's throwing motion, intelligence, football smarts or anything like that but THAT'S the sort of situation that would scare me to death. If you are really an NFL viable QB option, there is no question ever about you losing the job to a college freshman.

Pike was never in doubt of losing his job. He was hurt came back and took over the team. Annoucers speculate, thats there job.

FYI - zach collaros is a stud too and could probably start for every SEC team next season in college...(he is a balanced QB, that can run, not a NFL guy)

I think Pike's has better ability to throw the deep ball than Bradford does.

Anyone agree with that ?

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

I can't even express my frustration.

PIKE IN THE 2ND ROUND?!?!?!

ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    I can't even express my frustration.

PIKE IN THE 2ND ROUND?!?!?!

ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!?!

Emotions don't provide reasons why you think Bradford is better.

I don't understand your hate for Pike, so I ask if you could analyze why Bradford is so much better.

I think through analysis you will see they are much more similar and Pike may even half a great upside.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Pike doesn't put enough zip on the ball for me. He throws a weak noodle ball that takes away from his fairly quick release. Like AV said, some games he's on and others he's as off as a blown out light bulb. The "higher ceiling" thing is debatable referring to Bradford and Pike, but from what I've seen of Pike, I wouldn't take him until the fourth round.

Don't understand the "better leader" thing you threw out Rich. How is that? As far as form I think Bradford is fine, release is faster, and you are supposed to use your frame when throwing the ball.

Maybe Pike needs to do that as well as he could probably get more zip on his passes if he did....

As far as the deep ball discussion.....eh?

Pike throws extreme floaters that seems to hang in the air forever and his balls always seem to be very loose and not compact spirals. He can get a ball deep but it will hang forever and give a DB time to catch up to it from what I see. His intermediate routes have very little zip if any and it seems like he just pushes the ball from his hand.

Bradford puts great zip on the ball in the intermediate routes, can get the ball deep with accuracy and has great pocket presence....

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Emotions don't provide reasons why you think Bradford is better.

I don't understand your hate for Pike, so I ask if you could analyze why Bradford is so much better.

I think through analysis you will see they are much more similar and Pike may even half a great upside.
    he never said anything about Bradford

i think his post was more about the fact you would trade the 33rd pick in the draft for a mid round talent

Prospect wise I don't think they are really equal. I'd rather have a Bill Stull, John Skelton or Sean Canfield.

What is it that is great about Pike? The scouting report is a quick delivery but a weak arm because he has flaws in his mechanics and he has below average accuracy. He's not a runner so he loses that possibility. What is it that makes you think he's a great prospect?

Prospect wise I don't think they are really equal. I'd rather have a Bill Stull, John Skelton or Sean Canfield.

What is it that is great about Pike? The scouting report is a quick delivery but a weak arm because he has flaws in his mechanics and he has below average accuracy. He's not a runner so he loses that possibility. What is it that makes you think he's a great prospect?

Firstly, size is great. Secondly, accuracy is very good. He has great footwork, and really stands on his toes like the best QB's do in the NFL.

He throws well going right and left. His arm strength will improve after a year with an NFL team and weight program.
    He has great quick delivery with zip.

He makes all 4 of the west coast throws well.

He has touch on the screen, thows the slant hard, throws the out and the long post well.

I think Bradford is better today, but in 2 years I think Pike will be the best.

I really don't mind Bradford at all, so this is not a personal thing against him.

I just think if we can get Pike later it would be best for the Rams team going forward.

I think Pike must be considered the 3rd or 4th best QB in this draft with Starting QB potential in the NFL.

Sean Canfield is a big, tall sloppy mess that isn't accurate, nor has any grace in the pocket.

To compare Canfield and Pike is to show you have no evaluation skills..

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Firstly, size is great. Secondly, accuracy is very good. He has great footwork, and really stands on his toes like the best QB's do in the NFL.

He throws well going right and left. His arm strength will improve after a year with an NFL team and weight program.
    He has great quick delivery with zip.

He makes all 4 of the west coast throws well.

He has touch on the screen, thows the slant hard, throws the out and the long post well.

I think Bradford is better today, but in 2 years I think Pike will be the best.
    Ok two questions real quick.

#1 Do you think if we pick Bradford, he will be a good QB? This is Hypothetical Pike has no bearing on this question. DO you think he will be a good QB.

#2 As seen in the quote above, I think we can both agree that bradford has those same talents(as you have stated) If they both have a similar skill set why do you think Pike will excel in the nfl, while Bradford will just be a (answer to #1) QB?

Wow, you think Pike is accurate and you want to bash others for their analysis? You should read the reports on Pike at the Combine. The guy is now a 4th rounder most likely he was so bad.

Canfield isn't big. That's his biggest negative. He's extra accurate which is his greatest strength.

Wow, you think Pike is accurate and you want to bash others for their analysis? You should read the reports on Pike at the Combine. The guy is now a 4th rounder most likely he was so bad.

Canfield isn't big. That's his biggest negative. He's extra accurate which is his greatest strength.

I think you didn't watch the combine. I will bet you 1000 bucks that PIke is gone before round 4 if you'd like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast