RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Branch at 13? Remember the Bengals!

Recently there has been a lot of talk about the wisdom taking a DT like A. Branch considering our past failures at this position. But it occurred to me that the Cincinnati Bengals had the same scenario several years ago when they were considering Carson Palmer as the #1 pick. Remember the Bengals had selected both David Klingler and Akili Smith at QB in prior years and they both failed miserably. Many pundits were saying that Cincy should just take any player but QB based on their prior draft history; but to Cincy's credit they had Palmer rated as #1 and they stuck with him; and the rest, as they say, is history. I'm wondering if the Rams should do the same: I.E. if they have Branch rated at or above the 13th pick, then maybe they should just "bite the bullet" like the Bengals did and choose him. Of course now that I have kicked this hornets nest, let me hear what ya'll think!!

WHAT SAY YE?

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Re: Branch at 13? Remember the Bengals!

Here are my thoughts.

Cincy had a need at QB and they drafted Palmer who was the #1 QB in the draft.

Here is my question how are the 3rd or 4th rated QB's of the draft doing now? At the 13 pick the Rams will be lucky to get the 3rd or 4th rated DL on the board.....

IMO and I've expressed it many times on this board is very simple.

I do not believe in selecting Defensive and or Offensive Lineman unless you feel the player is a phenom like Orlando Pace.

The reason is this position requires alot of development and alot of times players drafted much lower develop into better players.... Also, the time required to develop is usually the entire length of the players rookie contract. So now the organization must pay up (AGAIN) to see it's investment payoff......