The Special One is offline Registered User

Branden Albert anyone?

I know there hasn't been that much talk about this guy considering the Jake Long option, but I was wondering if any of you guys think it would be worth trading down, to draft Albert and also have 1 or 2 extra picks in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

The reason I say this is that Albert really is something special IMO. Because he plays the guard position, he gets overlooked slightly, but I think he may in fact be the BEST O-Lineman in this draft.

He is an absolute beast. He's so athletic, and has incredible strength. You rarely see the ability in a Guard to run downfield to run-block, but Albert is that kinda guy.

At first he was projected late 1st to early 2nd, but now, he could go as early as No. 5 to KC. One thing for sure is, the Cheaters might take a good look at him at No. 7.

I think we could go down two possible routes:

1. We trade away our No. 2 pick, into the middle of the round (anywhere from 12-18), to possibly draft Albert and get the trading team's 1st rounder in next year's draft.

Or...

(and this is what I'd love to see happen) :

2. Draft DE with our No. 2, Chris Long would be fantastic, and then if Albert is still available come the middle of the round, we could trade back using our 2nd rounder this year, and a 2nd rounder next year, or some kinda combination of picks (although staying away from 1st round choices), and draft Albert.

He's the kinda player who could ultimately play tackle in the NFL. He did in fact play LT in a few games last year and did a very good job. He would make such an impact to any O-Line, and for us, it would make our O-Line look something like this:

LT - Pace
    LG - Albert
    C - Richie?
    RG - Bell
    RT - Barron

What do you guys think? Would it be worth trading back into the middle of the 1st to get Albert?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Branden Albert anyone?

Well, there's two issues with what you're suggesting. First, we need to find someone who is willing to trade up to #2. Part B of the first point is finding someone who has the firepower to trade up to #2. Dallas is the most likely, but they don't want to pay the two firsts and second to get it done. Second, the trade up theory. To get to the #20 pick, which by no means he'll last to, but I would bet that he does, you're looking at rounds two and three of this year to get it done, or this year's two and probably next year's two and four. We could do it, but it's not practical for this reason. We need talented guys, yes, but we also need a lot of them. Teams that already have good depth and just need a few more key players trade up, or teams that are desperate trade up at the expense of the future. Is Albert that much better than both the second and third round guys we could have put together? Maybe. But probably not. That said, if somehow we came away with both first round talents from UVA, I'd be ecstatic.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Yeah, we have much more pressing needs to trade down for a position we could easily take with the second pick.

Interesting theory though...

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Yeah, we have much more pressing needs to trade down for a position we could easily take with the second pick.
    Of course.

I just feel, if we do go DE with the #2 pick, then if Albert is available in the middle of the round, it would be worth it IMO to trade back into the 1st round for a guy like him.

I definately don't want us to be parting ways with future 1st rounders though. If it can be done using this year's 2nd rounder and future middle round picks, I'd be all for it.

I'll be the first one to admit though, that it's very unlikely.

STLunatic is offline Registered User

I dont understand why this guys stock has risen up so much

4 weeks ago: lucky to be first round pick
    3 weeks ago: 1st round pick
    2 weeks ago: Steelers at 23
    1 week ago: top 10 pick

shower beers is offline Registered User

Well, right now, some mocks have him going as high as the Patriots pick. Although it's probably very unlikely, the point is that a lot of teams are pretty high on him, and it would have to be a trade we can't afford to get back in the mix for him.

I heard today on NFL Network that the Cowboys are having talks with him today. Dallas' highest pick is No. 22, which means it's a possibility for Albert to drop that far down in the first round.

I'd love for us to trade back into the 20's to get him. But as you said beers, it's probably a trade we won't be able to afford...in the long run anyway.