Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Brandon Kaufman - WR

I followed this young man pretty closely this season, as he played in the same division as our now BACK TO BACK FCS National Champions...North Dakota State! He was eligible for his senior season (due to a red shirt 2011) but I just learned that he recently declared. Needless to say, I am hoping the Rams take a serious look at him.

This kid is a MONSTER WR, with an incredible pair of hands and a serious desire (like D.A.) to go after any ball thrown his way. He simply dominated this year (at FCS - Eastern Wash.) and saved his best game for last. In the FCS National Semi-final game, he was off the chain. He was the go to guy for his team...as they charged back from a 35-0 deficit. He wound up with 9 balls for 215 and 3 TDs. He finished the year with an eye popping 93 rec. for 1875 yards and 16 TDs. To be sure, he is no 'one year wonder'. His 2010 stats were no joke either... 76-1214-15. He did red-shirt in 2011 with hand and knee injuries, but clearly returned to full strength this last year. He is 6'5", 215 with solid upper body strength. Think Ed McCaffery. Hope to see him at the combine. The team that grabs this kid will be very fortunate.

"You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Brandon Kaufman - WR

Wow checked out some of his YouTube vids and the kid definitely has a set of hands on him... I wonder where he's projected to go?

Some additional insight I found:

I am a senior reporter for "The Easterner" at Eastern Washington University and covered the Eagles' 2012 football season in which they made the final four teams in the FCS playoffs but unfortunately lost to eventual runner-up Sam Houston State. I had an up close look at junior WR Brandon Kaufman, who broke the all-time FCS record for yards in a single season, finishing with 1850 yards and 16 TD on 93 receptions.

In three playoff games, Kaufman averaged 193+ receiving yards/game versus Wagner, Illinois State, and Sam Houston State. Here were his game logs:

vs. Wagner - 10 rec, 174 yds, 0 TD, 47 long
    vs. Illinois St. - 9 rec, 191 yds, 3 TD, 76 long
    vs. Sam Houston St. - 9 rec, 215 yds, 3 TD, 60 long

Kaufman is listed at 6'5", 215 lbs. Here is his EWU athletics page.

Some playoff highlights:

(vs. Sam Houston St.)
    22 yd TD catch, breaking all-time single-season FCS receiving record
    43 yd TD catch, wrestles ball away from defender in EZ
    60 yd catch, gets a 8-yard slant and breaks about 6 tackles. Serious HEART.
    33 yd TD catch, gets between the CB and S

(vs. Illinois St.)
    47 yard TD catch, Kaufman beats CB and S deep
    76 yard TD catch, pulls a Randy Moss on his defender, then beats him to the EZ

(vs. Wagner)
    45 yard catch, another quick slant that he turns into big yardage
    47 yard catch, initially looks like a drop but great concentration and he hauls it in
    3 yard 2 pt conv., quick slant, leaves defender in dust

Versus Idaho and WSU in 2012, Kaufman totaled 5/148/0 and 5/142/2, respectively. Here are some highlights vs. Idaho.

Here is a catch where Kaufman kicks it to himself in the endzone for a TD. Friggin' ridiculous.

I've interviewed Brandon a few times and I always come away impressed. He is extremely soft-spoken and humble, effusively praising others as opposed to himself. In the playoffs, when asked how he was able to be so dominant, he talked about the seniors and how he was digging deep within himself to leave absolutely everything on the field for them. Motivation for BK is not an issue. Character for BK is not an issue.

He is an above average run blocker, walls off defenders with ease and occasionally will drive his defenders. Could use some bulking up, and I don't think he'd lose his long speed. Once he gets the ball in his hands he is extremely difficult to take down.

Has a little bit of an injury history; played only four games in 2011 before breaking a metacarpal in his left hand. Also, had surgery shortly thereafter on his knee to repair nagging injury from 2010 season. In 2011 season opener @ UW, Kaufman totaled 10 receptions for 140 yards.

Kaufman has decided to forego his senior year at EWU and declare for the 2013 NFL draft. Via JoshBDraft, Kaufman was not given a top three round grade.

I think he's a 4th-5th round pick right now that could move up slightly if he tests well at the combine. He is faster than he is quick but still does have good short range speed.
    Last edited by Fargo Ram Fan; -01-26-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

wonder if he`s related to Andy..

richtree is offline Registered User

The kid will probably get drafted, but I don't believe he is an impact WR at the NFL level.

Although I haven't gone through all of the draft eligible WRs yet, I have looked at Kaufman.

He doesn't have speed or routes to get open. Therefore he would have to be more physical or have more physical tools, jumping, strength, quickness, etc...

He doesn't have either ability making him a long term project. He would need a mentor to learn NFL plays coming from a small school and the full route tree for a guy that didn't need routes.

This makes him a bigger project than Brian Quick. Quick is phyically way more gifted than Kaufman, and look how long it is taking for him to develop so far.

Kaufman also CANNOT contribute on special teams while he develops. This makes him a practice team player and a 6th or 7th round pick.

His best shot in my opinion is to become a weight room warrior and try to develop into an Aaron Herdandez type of TE......

Then his hands could become valuable and his speed would be ok against the LBs and Safeties.

'Ed McCafferty no way --- he is mostly Ramses Barden

He plays much more physically than Barden. I totally agree that he has to bulk up a bit (he is 215-220)...but he is already pretty solid in the upper body. He's no twig. I would also assume he is being 'worked on' as we speak. He may not be a speedster...but at 6' 5"...he doesnt really need to be. He is a 4.4 guy...not exactly molasses. Ive seen the kid go up for many balls, so not sure where you think he can't jump or he isn't strong. He most likely won't be an immediate impact player (next to none are), but he is going to be miles better than Barden. Given an opportunity to play with a top tier QB, he can easily be an Ed McCaffery type. It took Ed about 7 years (and John Elway) to become a real impact player. He too was a "project".

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    He plays much more physically than Barden. I totally agree that he has to bulk up a bit (he is 215-220)...but he is already pretty solid in the upper body. He's no twig. I would also assume he is being 'worked on' as we speak. He may not be a speedster...but at 6' 5"...he doesnt really need to be. He is a 4.4 guy...not exactly molasses. Ive seen the kid go up for many balls, so not sure where you think he can't jump or he isn't strong. He most likely won't be an immediate impact player (next to none are), but he is going to be miles better than Barden. Given an opportunity to play with a top tier QB, he can easily be an Ed McCaffery type. It took Ed about 7 years (and John Elway) to become a real impact player. He too was a "project".
    I am telling you from all the videos I see of him -- what I objectively feel. The one thing for sure is he is no 4.4 guy, if he runs at combine I doubt he will even be under 4.55 --- going up and jumping high are too different things.

I feel you have some emotional attachment to him, which is fine, but I am pretty sure this kid never catches 5 touchdowns in the NFL.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind grabbing him in the late rounds, if there, but he sounds like a lesser version of Quick to me.

I'd much rather grab a WR who will contribute immediately rather than another project.