View Poll Results: Would you trade our second round pick for Brandon Marshall?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

36 58.06%
  • No, too much bagage.

26 41.94%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Brandon Marshall could be had for a second rounder?

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Lets pretend that not all NFL fans are hard core for 5 seconds. Outside of the hard core set, yes, this is quite possible.
    I'm pretty sure if you're an "NFL" fan, you know every single team in the league.

However, if you're, let's say, a Buffalo Bills fan that just watches Bills games, and you don't really follow the NFL, than you might not know or remember who the Rams are.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Chances somebody forgets the Rams exist if they aren't a reasonably hard core NFL fan-decent.
    As I asked before, where is your proof of this?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    As I asked before, where is your proof of this?
    This board bans links. That's a problem in times such as these.

-------------------------------------

Since I will never convince St. Louis residents that we have become the forgotten team of the NFL, I will instead cite from Marshall's wikipedia page as reason why we want no part of him.

snip
    Legal trouble

According to Orlando-Orange County public records (case 48-2004-MM-012392-O), on Halloween 2004, while a student at UCF, Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, refusal to obey, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer.
    On January 1, 2007, Marshall was present at "The Shelter," a nightclub in Denver, Colorado, along with teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams. The trio was attending a birthday party held for and by Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. As the players were leaving the club in a limousine, Williams was fatally shot in the neck after an unknown assailant opened fire on the vehicle. Willie Clark was later charged with the murder. Walker has stated in interviews that the shooter was likely a nightclub patron whose motive was retaliation after being involved in an altercation with Marshall's cousin earlier that night.
    On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house. Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.
    In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora Metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol. A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired. He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.

On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance. The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.
    According to an article published in the Rocky Mountain News on July 28, 2008, Douglas County deputies fielded "about 11" calls to Marshall's home since January 2006. The article stated that one call resulted in Marshall being arrested (the March 26, 2007 domestic dispute), and some did not involve him at all.
    A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008 in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond. The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court. On August 14, 2009, a jury in Atlanta found Marshall not guilty.
    On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond. The charges were dropped the following day.

Trouble seems to find this gentleman often. To the point where I suspect he's a traffic violation away from a serious NFL suspension.

Of course, there's also this beauty...

On March 22, 2008, Marshall slipped on an empty McDonald's bag while wrestling with family members, and subsequently, fell through a television set at his home in Orlando, Florida - cutting his right forearm. According to Broncos head athletic trainer Steve Antonopulos, Marshall "sustained right forearm lacerations to one artery, one vein, one nerve, two tendons and three muscles." He was treated at a local hospital and later released after needing a cast and several stitches. In early April, Marshall had the cast removed from his surgically repaired right forearm and was in a sling until May. He was cleared in late-June to practice with the Broncos. He later revealed that his right hand was numb during the entire 2008 season.
    I think we can pretty much rule out "intelligence" as an attribute.

Indeed, which pillar does Marshall fit?

general counsel is offline Registered User

DO you guys know what the odds are of us trading for this guy and paying him a huge signing bonus when the sale of the team is pending? I will tell you the answer. ABSOLUTELY ZERO!!!!!

The rams are not going to give up a high pick (including their #2) without a contract in place to sign Marshall. He wants a ton of upfront money. As i have noted on prior threads, in the mergers and acquisition context, there is simply NO chance of chip laying out that kind of up front money when he is not going to own the team to benefit from Marshall's performance.

I believe in character. I also believe that risk and reward need to be balanced. Much as i cant believe i am saying it (given that i am a dog lover), i can see the upside of signing vick for relatively short money for a relatively short period of time, either as a free agent or for a low round pick. Money is going to need to be spent at the qb postion one way or another. However, there is a HUGE difference between getting a guy with talent at a bargain and trading a high pick for the priviledge of then paying him top dollar. That is where the balance of risk and reward comes in. I dont see the real risk in vick (given what the cost will be), while marshall has a huge risk (given what the cost will be in pick and money).

In short, no thanks on marshall. I would also note that trading for a guy like this when we have no one to throw him the ball doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Trouble seems to find this gentleman often. To the point where I suspect he's a traffic violation away from a serious NFL suspension.
    Yep, it looks like Marshall has used up ALL his get out of jail free cards with the NFL and is one slip-up from a suspension. He's shown a consistent, regular pattern of bad behavior and there is NO indication he's going to change his ways. He's got a bad attitude to boot and doesn't come close to qualifying under the four pillars system, with multiple arrests and no "honest" mistakes in the mix.

Great talent, but not worth the risk.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I can't believe people are actually saying no to this. If for some reason the Broncos would trade away a top 5 wideout in the league for only a 2nd round pick then why wouldn't you take him. This team is pathetic on offense and has zero playmakers besides SJax.

His issues off the field have not at all affected his on field production which is the only thing that people should worry about. He will give you as much production as any second round talent that you can find and he has already proven that he is an elite wide receiver in the NFL.

You usually have to spend a first round pick to get a player such as Marshall's calibur and it's a biggger risk doing that because you won't know how the college receiver will translate to the NFL. Marshall is entering his prime and getting him for only a 2nd round pick would be a huge bargain.

The only question is who would be throwing him the ball but I'm sure tons of teams would jump all over the offer of getting Marshall for only a second round pick.

TheRammer Guest

No, they forget the Rams exist period. And its more common than you think outside of Metro St. Louis.

And outside of the GSOT years when we had a lunatic coach to make great copy, we have gotten jack diddly in terms of coverage outside of metro St. Louis. This I know from personal experience, however I'll put it this way. How often have you seen a national sports reporter make completely accurate analyses of the Rams?
    Honestly I have to side with Peoria on this one... people always get stories and things wrong on our team and analysis except for Faulk since he keeps up with us and reports the sad facts on us we are terrible...( and guess who is the least talked about team outside of this this year and us being numero uno in the draft? The Rams... we are easily forgotten... look at any for the season highlights on nfl network of us the last three years... Dion's dogging on us "we wouldn't show you this game but we are contractually obligated to (rams game)" with even Rich Eisen and and the Mariucci getting in on it... no analysis or break down (don't get all butthurt folks it's the truth)
    Last edited by TheRammer; -02-24-2010 at 05:14 AM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'd take him for our second round pick in a heartbeat. This guy is a playmaker, something our WR's on the team now are extremely lacking.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

people always get stories and things wrong on our team
    So does that indicate the Rams are the forgotten team, or that we as Rams fans don't know enough about the other 31 teams to know when analysts get something wrong on them?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I can't believe people are actually saying no to this. If for some reason the Broncos would trade away a top 5 wideout in the league for only a 2nd round pick then why wouldn't you take him.
    Some reason indeed. And what is that reason? Why would a team hand away a top tier WR for a 2nd round pick?

This team is pathetic on offense and has zero playmakers besides SJax.
    SJax is a top tier RB.......should we accept a 2nd round pick for him?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by timsum1283 View Post
    And everyone know the team that's most commonly forgotten about in the NFL is the Jaguars.
    Actually, the forgotten team is the........um, the.......oh gosh, you know......that team.....the ones with the helmets.

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So does that indicate the Rams are the forgotten team, or that we as Rams fans don't know enough about the other 31 teams to know when analysts get something wrong on them?
    What I'm meaning is most analyst and commentors study alot of the other teams in depth where as the Rams are merely glanced at and commented on...

Quote Originally Posted by TheRammer View Post
    What I'm meaning is most analyst and commentors study alot of the other teams in depth where as the Rams are merely glanced at and commented on...
    Do they really? Or is that just a perception from a fan of one particular team who expects to see his team more than the actual coverage they receive?

Even by law of averages we're only going to get 1/32nd of the NFL coverage.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Indeed Hub, but you can't deny that, for example, the Cowboys get a lot more attention than most teams. I think there's definitely a bias on ESPN's coverage(s).

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Voted No ... hes a top flight reciever but with the money he demands and a high #2 rounder ... which for the rams is almost like a first rounder anyway being the 33rd pick. our receivers are young but promising ...

anyways contenders like baltimore / bengals anbd looking for wr's, they'll give up more than a 2nd rounder for him.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast